Steveo1

2018 Maps

Hi All

Just wondered if any of you guys have downloaded and install the latest 2018 Maps for your F10/F11 only asking as I downloaded it but it needs nearly 32 gb of free USB stick space. I have a 32 gb stick but when formatted it's still not big enough. Will get a 64 gb on order and see how we go.

Cheers Steven

Edited by Steveo1

I updated mine about a month ago. I borrowed my son's external hard drive. Worked just the same as a memory stick. I suppose it's just a big memory stick!

The sat nav does seem to have improved

Yes it took about 45 mins.

I would suggest that you update it when you have somewhere to go. You need the ignition turned on for the update. I didn't realise how long it would take and ended up sitting in the car for the duration. (I park on the street and couldn't leave the car unattended)

1 hour ago, Steveo1 said:

Hi All

Just wondered if any of you guys have downloaded and install the latest 2018 Maps for your F10/F11 only asking as I downloaded it but it needs nearly 32 gb of free USB stick space. I have a 32 gb stick but when formatted it's still not big enough. Will get a 64 gb on order and see how we go.

Cheers Steven

I updated to 2018: it took three USB's.  I think it was 1 x 32; 2 x 16gb.

Also - I didn't have to sit in the car for ages.  It was very rapid indeed.

We await brother Ashton's visitation...  He will...pronounce.

24 minutes ago, paz5432 said:

Hi All I'm looking to update my maps to 2018 any link were I can get them from 

Thanks 

Paz

Official link here...

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/app/gb/index.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQIcUGxdzLxtXhM45vgZNwmxnszSbCBWGjQGru-xg6T2z1Avr96jLwwaAnmuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#/portal/store/Base_FullMapUpdate

5 minutes ago, Johnny Grabble said:

OK Thanks it's saying for 24 months. . Will have to check if it will work on my 530 2011

3 hours ago, paz5432 said:

OK Thanks it's saying for 24 months. . Will have to check if it will work on my 530 2011

BMW are selling a version for your CIC based head unit maps from that link. They are offering a subscription for 24 months so you could in theory manage 4 updates in that period as they release 2 per year.

17 hours ago, Stressed said:

I updated mine about a month ago. I borrowed my son's external hard drive. Worked just the same as a memory stick. I suppose it's just a big memory stick!

The sat nav does seem to have improved

Hi Stressed, By "sat nav improved" what are we talking about?? ive got the 2018-1 maps to update but wonder if its actually worth doing?? does it give anything over and above just a few new roads??

I too have recently downloaded the 2018-1 update and it is sitting around on a stick...have not got around to loading it as all the local roads still seem in the right place for the moment!

Edited by bee

The updates are for new and changed roads. The only other difference I've ever noticed was around 2016 when the instrument cluster directions changed colour to grey. Very minor and the only "enhancement" I've noticed since 2012 when I started updating the maps regularly.

I needed a 64Gb stick, took about 45 mins to download to the stick, then about 45 mins to transfer to car - best wait until driving somewhere more than 45 mins away!

2 hours ago, AJJ said:

I needed a 64Gb stick, took about 45 mins to download to the stick, then about 45 mins to transfer to car - best wait until driving somewhere more than 45 mins away!

Ditto, I found NBT map size outgrew my 32Gb stick quite a while back so I invested in a tiny 64Gb which does the job in about 45 minutes.

I haven't found any differences over the 2017  maps and some new roads remain missing from the update, but fingers crossed they'll be on 2018-2

2 hours ago, paz5432 said:

Have you guy done free download or paid for the upgrade 

Some prefer the BMW subscription route while others have found a DIY way to upgrade the maps. For the DIY method you'll need an ENET cable and ESYS to extract the FSC code from the car and find a download for the specific maps to your car's model of Head Unit.

24 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Some prefer the BMW subscription route while others have found a DIY way to upgrade the maps. For the DIY method you'll need an ENET cable and ESYS to extract the FSC code from the car and find a download for the specific maps to your car's model of Head Unit.

Ok thanks I’m looking at doing some upgrades so poss wait, dvd in  Motion  and movie on usb 

2 hours ago, paz5432 said:

Ok thanks I’m looking at doing some upgrades so poss wait, dvd in  Motion  and movie on usb 

What manufacture year/month is your car? Video playback via USB is only available on newer NBT based cars. DVD in motion is an easy bit of coding with the right cable/software as I mentioned earlier. 

8 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

What manufacture year/month is your car? Video playback via USB is only available on newer NBT based cars. DVD in motion is an easy bit of coding with the right cable/software as I mentioned earlier. 

It’s 9/2011 61reg  any links on cable and software 

You will have CIC (or MASK) in your car and not be able to play video from USB. 

You need an enet cable and the software is esys (along with a token). It's very easy to find the software free and the cables are available on eBay.

Edited by MLJ