Coops

Creaking rear suspension?

The Five has just been taken off to the dealers to investigate a creaking noise coming from the N/S/R suspension / area of the car.

Very noticeable when going over speed humps and poor undulating roads (back country routes!). Is apparent even when kids are in the back.

Anyone else had this, or is this a known issue?

Mine has started doing the same from the same area.  As I've only just got it back from the dealer from getting the timing chain replaced, it can creak until the new year!  Hoping these joints aren't expensive to replace.

Creaking from brakes is usually when you are just about fully stopped or when creeping the car in D on the foot brake. A clean up of the caliper cradle is required and a bit of copper grease on the contact points between the caliper cradle and the pads usually sorts that creak out.

Other things to check would be the strut top mounts but I'm not sure of the set up on a touring as per @jake13 suggestion. The front top mounts certainly creak on early models of 5er so a touring that may have lugged a fair load around during its previous life will have loaded up these mounts.

All done and on it's way back.

Nothing remotely suspension related! It was the springs in rear load cover - they start to deteriorate, then as you cover over bumps the load cover coils and retracts, and the springs squeak. Could have sworn it was suspension - dealer said it they've had a few cases of it recently. Something to look out for.

They also did a couple of recalls - EGR valve or something, and the air conditioning condenser.

16 hours ago, Coops said:

Nothing remotely suspension related! It was the springs in rear load cover - they start to deteriorate, then as you cover over bumps the load cover coils and retracts, and the springs squeak. Could have sworn it was suspension - dealer said it they've had a few cases of it recently. Something to look out for.

Hmmm need to have a check of my load cover now.  Might even remove it from the car and see if the noise stops.

Apologies for dragging up this old thread. 

I'm sat in the garage now with a similar issue, creak coming from the rear, really noticeable over bumps etc. 

This rear load cover, easy to access to check?