bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

Now there's a surprise, I have still not heard a word from BMW UK or either of the two dealers my vehicle went to for the  Door Corrosion problem, it's all well and good purchasing a nice brand new shiny BMW until you need warranty work carried out, over my past 50 years of purchasing different makes and some that have required warranty work, I can category say without any doubt BMW  have been the worst to date, with the lies I have been told anything to prevent them honouring their warranty is endless, as far as I'm concerned BMW UK and the BMW aftersales  dealerships are equally poor at dealing with their warranty claims, if they don't wish to honour their 12-year corrosion warranty they should not advertise a meaningless 12-Corrision Warranty, which is just aimed to help  them sell the car until it moves out the showroom. !

As this was my first BMW I had purchased from new,  I was under the misconception that I was buying into a premium brand that I could trust if anything went wrong, oh boy how wrong was I, to say I'm a totally unsatisfied BMW customer is an understatement !

Edited by Oilburner

@Oilburner liars was my experience too. Did you get anywhere with obtaining the paint depth readings for every visit yet?  Those are the hard facts of the matter. If it has had paint, you are probably better moving on. If the paint is within spec, there is a fight to be had and call them out as liars especially if the readings are different between garages. Or get an independent paint depth appraisal, though they can igjore that.

Its wierd that they are being so obtuse with your car when afaik most eventually cave in and do the work. Not saying anything here particularly but if its had work its possible even if you are not aware.

Mate runs a garage and they sometimes scrape wheels or cars and get the next door bodyshop to tidy them up, customer rarely the wiser.

29 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Mate runs a garage and they sometimes scrape wheels or cars and get the next door bodyshop to tidy them up, customer rarely the wiser.

The truth and not just small garages either. I bought a Vx Insignia new from a main dealer and when I traded it in at the BMW dealership they pointed out some overspray on the sill at the front wheel arch which indicated it had been touched up before I drove it away. They wanted to knock £300 off the trade in for it too but the value of the potentially lost sale changed that.

TBH it would be pretty surprising if none of the hundreds of cars they handle ever gets a slight scuff or scrape. 

Edited by Boba

6 hours ago, bmwmike said:

@Oilburner liars was my experience too. Did you get anywhere with obtaining the paint depth readings for every visit yet?  Those are the hard facts of the matter. If it has had paint, you are probably better moving on. If the paint is within spec, there is a fight to be had and call them out as liars especially if the readings are different between garages. Or get an independent paint depth appraisal, though they can igjore that.

Its wierd that they are being so obtuse with your car when afaik most eventually cave in and do the work. Not saying anything here particularly but if its had work its possible even if you are not aware.

I have asked the first BMW dealership for the paint readings they allegedly took  and sent to BMW UK, BMW Chandlers of Brighton they have totally ignored my request and no communication back whatsoever, perhaps they need to get their stories to match. !

I did ask for the paint depth readings on the  third visit to a different BMW dealership and was given a copy, not that it means much as the dealership indicated it may have had paintwork done on the drivers' door, I told them as I had purchased the car new, and had driven it straight out of the showroom, and I'm the sole owner I have never had any paintwork carried whatsoever since it left the showrooms, so if what they are indicating it may have had previous paintwork on that drivers' door, it's up to BMW UK to raise this issue with dealership I purchased the car new from, because I certainly know nothing about any previous paintwork, and why should I after all  it was  a new factory finish car I was purchasing.

And if they had done any paintwork they had obviously done a good job, because I'm very fussy, and I never spotted any signs of mismatch of paint, and I still can't see any visible signs of different paintwork even now.

This issue with BMW has taught me one thing when ever I purchase another new car, it would certainly pay to purchase a good paint depth reading meter, and your take own paint depth readings, before it leaves the showroom and get some papers countersigned from the dealership stating so.

Although I can't imagine any other car manufacturer stooping so low to avoid settling a warranty claim, from what is after all a known manufacturing defect on the car, so even remotely accepting the BMW dealership may have had a mishap with my car before I took delivery, and it did require some paintwork carried out, it is not my problem all I want is the door corrosion on all four doors rectified.

So the ball is solely in BMW UK hands to sort this issue out, as they should have done in the first instance !

Got a email back from bmw.

Screenshot-20210729-164753-Email.jpg

Basically get on with it.

I will call them tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Oilburner said:

I have asked the first BMW dealership for the paint readings they allegedly took  and sent to BMW UK, BMW Chandlers of Brighton they have totally ignored my request and no communication back whatsoever, perhaps they need to get their stories to match. !

I did ask for the paint depth readings on the  third visit to a different BMW dealership and was given a copy, not that it means much as the dealership indicated it may have had paintwork done on the drivers' door, I told them as I had purchased the car new, and had driven it straight out of the showroom, and I'm the sole owner I have never had any paintwork carried whatsoever since it left the showrooms, so if what they are indicating it may have had previous paintwork on that drivers' door, it's up to BMW UK to raise this issue with dealership I purchased the car new from, because I certainly know nothing about any previous paintwork, and why should I after all  it was  a new factory finish car I was purchasing.

And if they had done any paintwork they had obviously done a good job, because I'm very fussy, and I never spotted any signs of mismatch of paint, and I still can't see any visible signs of different paintwork even now.

This issue with BMW has taught me one thing when ever I purchase another new car, it would certainly pay to purchase a good paint depth reading meter, and your take own paint depth readings, before it leaves the showroom and get some papers countersigned from the dealership stating so.

Although I can't imagine any other car manufacturer stooping so low to avoid settling a warranty claim, from what is after all a known manufacturing defect on the car, so even remotely accepting the BMW dealership may have had a mishap with my car before I took delivery, and it did require some paintwork carried out, it is not my problem all I want is the door corrosion on all four doors rectified.

So the ball is solely in BMW UK hands to sort this issue out, as they should have done in the first instance !

Crazy can't believe it tbh.

They didn't even check my paint depth readings in front of me anyway. 

The stupid thing is, even if a door had been painted in the past the corrosion will still bubble through. Its entirely a get-out to say theyve been painted, as we all know.

Each visit I did, they did the paint depth readings right there in front of me and were all "oh yes shouldnt be a problem lets just check its not been painted" and super helpful UNTIL the depth reader is out then it was almost like a script "ah, ooh, oh dear, has this door been painted sir" etc etc. Lies. That was shytner.

Claim eventually declined, but i took it back for a re-read and then the metre readings were miraculously back in spec as i was literally stood over the guy. Bodyshop guy couldnt understand it, never happened before sir. Liar.

Thought better of letting them at it, so took it to another dealer franchise and the exact same thing... oh yes sir lets have a look sir we've done a few of these sir, out comes the meter thing and then they change, like a fucking psychopathic chimp holding a hand grenade "ah, ooh, oh dear, has this door been painted sir". Ah i'll stop you there son, Sytner tried exact same script. Its not been painted, check it again and let me see. Claim approved within 2 weeks.

Scripted, professional liars. Honestly couldnt have a lower opinion of a group of people than BMW bodyshop.

(and for the record, my e46 had several trips back and forth as it needed a boot floor, which caused no end of issues, so im not entirely talking of isolated experiences).

GL.

Edited by bmwmike

Called guy at bodyshop told me to pop in and they'll sort scratches out while I wait which is great,  but window wasn't removed ( have bmw receipt for new window guides ) so he cant see how its there issue. ( will speak to bmw )

Will probably sort window myself and move on ..... :rolleyes:

Edited by marko530d

Not sure if this is the first sign. Front passenger side. Checked all others and they seem fine.

It looks like a paint run more than bubbling, seems solid.

IMG_20210730_204734.thumb.jpg.a7d9971c72c051640ab3985b9ca3d3fc.jpg

8 hours ago, bmwmike said:

twice as long from the middle!

its early, probably a few years but who knows

Haha. I deserve that response to that question.

I guess the reason I ask is the car is a 66 plate. 5 years old this coming September I think.

So do I get them to look at it now whilst I imagine it's an easier fix...

Is it 12 years warranty ? 

On 5/6/2021 at 11:42 AM, bones said:

Just had a call from Bowkers this morning and BMW have agreed to paint all four doors, I have to say I am impressed with the service because whilst I wouoldnt expect corrosion on a 7yr old premium car I did expect some resistance due to the car not having full BMW service history. 

Anyway its booked in for Monday and I'll let you know how I get on.

Apologies, I should of updated this. 

Bowkers had the car for approximately 1 week and I chose not to take a courtesy car. They don't have their own body shop but use HB Panelcraft in Preston.

They sprayed all 4 doors on the outer skin only and I have to day did a great job, they even sprayed the o/s mirror housing gloss black as that was bubbling quite badly. A change in circumstances meant the car became surplus to requirements so I sold it a couple of weeks later and currently looking for an x3 or similar.

Just been called by the Bodyshop, BMW have approved two rear doors for mine. Not bad for a 2013 car with 145k. There is a tiny bit on the drivers front door, but it’s so tiny you really have to bend right down to see it. Taken a long time to go through, but happy with the outcome. 

23 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

Just been called by the Bodyshop, BMW have approved two rear doors for mine. Not bad for a 2013 car with 145k. There is a tiny bit on the drivers front door, but it’s so tiny you really have to bend right down to see it. Taken a long time to go through, but happy with the outcome. 

They done all 4 of mine with 161k and 2011.

To the people who have had this done, has the complete door been painted or just the top of the door where the corrosion is? 

5 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

To the people who have had this done, has the complete door been painted or just the top of the door where the corrosion is? 

I think it depends which body shop does the work. I had my whole doors painted and front and rear quarters blended so more or less the whole side of the car.

Had my 2013 F10 520D for about a week when i noticed the door corrosion.  Took it down to Sytner Nottingham who did a paint depth reading and confirmed original paint.  Took a copy of the service history (full BMW) and sent it off for approval to proceed with warranty. 

2 weeks later, car was given green light for the warranty work.  Car came back, great job done.  The only niggle i had was that i noticed that one of the big bolts holding one of the doors on wasn't torqued up properly (finger tight).

Regards,

Steve

Full doors painted on mine.

All guides and stuff replaced.

Screenshot-20211004-142631-Gallery.jpg

Edited by marko530d

Actually I am mistaken, my warranty invoice states full door paint x 4, blend in front wings and rear quarters.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Hopefully I'll have the full doors painted and blended into rear 1/4's, either way to be honest I'm not too fussed, free paintwork is free paintwork, so long as everything is ok afterwards.