bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

On 6/14/2021 at 7:58 PM, marko530d said:

Yeah agreed.

Mines in friday 18th hopefully get it all sorted. 

Fingers crossed for a positive experience too marko. 

12 hours ago, F1-11 said:

Fingers crossed for a positive experience too marko. 

:)

Car dropped off today decent loaner.

They Thought it was just the window to do And wanted to rebook me back in ....

Drivers heated mirror
Drivers window ( slow to rise )
Door pull trim ( ( loose )
And door ( drops )

Passanger door ( drops )
And black trim very sharp on corner.

Light Scratches all around bodywork.
Boot scratches & bumper scuffed.

Screenshot-20210618-133750-Whats-App.jpg

Told me it should be ready for 5pm can't see that happening hope it gets sorted becoming more trouble then its worth.

Edited by marko530d

On 09/06/2021 at 17:05, percha said:

I didnt update you but after mine going back in for new window rubbers all round, they have again scratched the paintwork three times and not even checked it from a quality control purpose upon my collection. They are now booking me back in again (3rd time now) for a smart repair while I wait. I mean the scratches are clearly where they are putting trim back on for sure and are very minor but still noticable on my car that I try and keep in pristine condition.

When's yours back @percha

They still have mine rang to say it was evans halshaw done the work, and if happy to keep hire car bit longer will make sure its all sorted.

Glad its got a new battery fitted.

Quick to email back, I have warranty cost documentation, a mere 2.5k for the work that was completed!

They are awaiting the touch up bits to do my smart repair apparently and will be in touch once in at the dealership.

1 hour ago, percha said:

Quick to email back, I have warranty cost documentation, a mere 2.5k for the work that was completed!

They are awaiting the touch up bits to do my smart repair apparently and will be in touch once in at the dealership.

Bmw are paying out decent money they want a decent job. 

Should be fully checked before its released.

Got mine back today nothings been done as cant get booked into body shop til 2 weeks .

Rebooked back in for 9th july.

I have a question for everyone regarding their F10 and F11 & F18 with or without  the known door corrosion problem, is this affecting vehicles from Europe, USA, Canada in other words worldwide, I certainly can't imagine its only UK vehicles that have this corrosion problem, as it's not a weather related problem its most likely cause of using of two dissimilar metals in contact with each other, from what I gather it's from 2010 to 2016 year vehicles that  suffer this problem.

As far as I'm aware  it seems it only vehicles in the UK with this problem on this forum, or has it not been notice elsewhere yet !

I believe there must be a lot of owners worldwide that just have not noticed this problem yet, or they don't keep their vehicles longer than 3 years, and the corrosion  has not started to visibly appear yet.

Edited by Oilburner

I guess I have found the answer to my own question, it has affected vehicles  certainly in North America I just came across this BMW repair pdf file. MC-10149245-9999(3).pdf

Also found this interesting  article:- https://5series.net/forums/f10-discussion-33/f10-not-likely-rust-120072/

Which is  true they don't appear to rust they just corrode instead, looking at the diagram it's obviously the attached trim which is causing the problem which is attached to the aluminium door panel, and not isolated properly.

Edited by Oilburner
a mistake

20 hours ago, percha said:

So they had it all that time and didn't do anything?!

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Nothing .... 

Well, after taking my vehicle to another BMW dealership as suggested by BMW UK to support my claim, I have just heard back from the BMW bodyshop that BMW UK have rejected my claim again, now on the grounds that it is unclear if the vehicle has had previous paintwork carried, even though I'm the only owner from new, so if and that's a big if !

The vehicle  has had previous paintwork it must have been carried out since leaving the factory by BMW themselves or the BMW main dealership prior to me driving out of their showrooms, so unless BMW UK change their minds over rejecting my claim, It should be mentioned that it appears BMW UK keep changing the goal posts with my claim, it now looks more than likely my claim is only going to end in going through the courts and let them decide who is at fault me or them BMW ! :angry:

@Oilburner thats frustrating!! What exactly did they say - "unclear" ?  I mean, if its unclear, why would they deny the claim? Its literally not clear to their experts (lol) that its had paintwork, so why wouldnt they give the benefit of the doubt. Poor customer service, poor show.

Guess you could try and independent appraisal/assessment.

A ‘letter before action’ might shift their stance, but if they ignore it you’re left with no options. Try yet another dealer? Ask for the paint thickness readings?

Its strange how the first dealer did say the drivers' door paint was slightly out and may reject the claim, but said they would reject the claim because of non BMW servicing, when I contacted this dealer weeks later about my claim he just said it was rejected because of no BMW servicing, because BMW technicians check the vehicle for any rust or corrosion, and said nothing about the paint, I took this up with BMW UK and said if they care to check this forum Door corrosion topic they will see that I have been checking for signs of corrosion ever since it was first announced on here, and for several years I found nothing on my vehicle, until the two front doors started showing signs of corrosion, and then the rear doors about six weeks later, and that my vehicle had been maintained to a far higher standard than a BMW dealership with interim servicing as well.

That's when BMW UK suggested I take the vehicle to a different BMW dealer for inspection, and if it was a manufacture defect they would deal with the claim !

So I did take it to another dealer after three weeks of not hearing back I emailed them, this was what I got back just a short email:-

Good Afternoon MR *********

Sorry for delay, BMW have declined claim as they are unsure if it has had bodywork before due to paint depths.

Sorry that I am unable to help.

=========================================

Strange, it's a different tack now from the dealer and BMW UK !

I guess BMW UK don't think customers are worth a formal reply direct !

This is clearly no way to keep loyal customers, I have received appalling customer service all round, and I'm certainly not giving now !

@ bmwmike I dont think there is much point in getting paint depth readings again, because at the end of the day I have not had any paintwork done since I drove the vehicle out of the showroom new, so if there is a discrepancy they need to ask the BMW main dealer where I purchased the car from if it had been damaged done in transit or whilst sitting in the showroom prior to my purchase, but also because this is clearly a manufacture defect for F10 F11 and F18 during 2010 to 2016 and they know about the defect, this is nothing to do with paint thickness It's there just an excuse to reject some claims going through, just as non BMW servicing.

Agree but my second dealer convo started exactly like my first:

"oooh, this car has been painted sir the paint depth is..."

And i said:

"i'll stop you there mate, Sytner tried the same thing. Tell you what, why dont you tell me the readings you see now, and i'll tell you if they match what sytner said first time, and then second time, and we can then discuss why there may be a difference".

Paraphrasing as i dont have a recording, but it was clear second dealer was going to try it on until i called them out on it. I think i said as much in my DM to you.

Liars, cheats, and bmw dealers. At least kwik fit dont hide it.

On 29/06/2021 at 21:56, bmwmike said:

Agree but my second dealer convo started exactly like my first:

"oooh, this car has been painted sir the paint depth is..."

And i said:

"i'll stop you there mate, Sytner tried the same thing. Tell you what, why dont you tell me the readings you see now, and i'll tell you if they match what sytner said first time, and then second time, and we can then discuss why there may be a difference".

Paraphrasing as i dont have a recording, but it was clear second dealer was going to try it on until i called them out on it. I think i said as much in my DM to you.

Liars, cheats, and bmw dealers. At least kwik fit dont hide it.

This is turning into a real drama, I emailed a lengthy message to the dealer and BMW UK on Monday this week, after I was told my claim had been rejected by BMW which reads as following.

Thank you for your reply,  I'm mystified by  BMW UK refusing my  claim regarding the 12 year corrosion warranty,  I had already told them previously that I was the only owner of this vehicle from new, and it certainly has not had any paintwork by me of any description since purchasing the vehicle new from the BMW dealers showroom, I have an email from BMW UK that stated if it was a manufacturing defect they would deal with my claim, they said nothing about the paint last time it seems to me someone at BMW UK keeps changing the goal posts, however I do intend to pursue the matter with BMW UK, and through the courts if necessary to prove this is a manufacturing defect, and even though I have not touched the paintwork since my ownership or anyone else to that matter, so if the paintwork has had any work carried since manufacture  it was done by BMW themselves or the main dealership before I purchased the car new, and as I'm very fussy with my cars I'm quite sure I would have noticed any slight imperfection to the paintwork before purchasing.

Now assuming as BMW UK imply the vehicle could have had previous paintwork carried out, this must have been prior to my purchase from new and must have been carried out by BMW themselves or the BMW dealership this is certainly nothing to do with me personally or my claim, because if the vehicle had previous paintwork carried out I was totally unaware, and I would have declined my purchase  straight away, and to that end I quite prepared to hand my claim over to my solicitor to pursue, as this has gone on long enough and has caused  me a lot off stress just getting this far.
====================
Now bearing in mind this was sent Monday, consequently I heard nothing back from the dealer or BMW UK at all, until I sent a further email Friday morning to the dealer asking for my paint depth readings taken at different locations on my vehicle, and also what is the ballpark depth of paint that BMW reckon is the factory finish for the paintwork, this was so  a case can be prepared with the view of taken action against BMW UK for rejecting my corrosion warranty claim, I  was not expecting the reply I received.

===================

Good Morning Mr *********,

Can I give you a massive apology I was wrong in telling you about you claim as that was for a different customer and BMW, And just to add to my mistake I cannot find images that I took of you BMW.

So if you can except my apology that would be great but on the down side I do need to see you again, Is that something we could arrange ?

Many Thanks.

Bodyshop Consultant.

================

Can someone tell me what the hell is going on between the BMW dealers and BMW UK, because I have now got to the point I just don't trust any of them, before committing to anything I have asked the dealer what's the reason to see me again, but this message was sent towards the end of Friday this week, I will expect a reply this coming  Monday, now my own thinking is mistakes like this don't seem plausible because of my Name, Registration Number, and VIN Number of Vehicle, and my BMW UK Reference Number they gave me, so I'm not just another customer, there is just too many mistakes made, it's all very strange or is this what some owners can expect if they dare make a claim on BMW UK, so with all this mistrust I now have with BMW dealers and BMW UK, I'm now going to get a totally independent  paint depth carried out next week.

I don’t think I’d be inclined to pay for paint thickness measurements just yet. I think that I’d be getting onto the MD of the relevant dealer to make a strong complaint directly to him and require him to sort things out to your satisfaction. It can’t possibly be good for BMW or their dealer network to have you broadcasting this sorry tale on an open forum, and I can’t believe it would be good for the story and names to find their way further afield.