bmwmike

F10 door corrosion

Well something had to go wrong, went to pick the car up after two weeks of it being at the official BMW approved bodyshop in Beckenham only to inspect it and find all 4 doors had very small chips on trim and some small chips on paintwork at the rear of the doors, which I can only assume were from attaching the trim after painting.

Also a machine polishing mark on my back bumper. Needless to say I said to the guy, this is very poor quality and you can fix it! So he gave me the keys back to Mini and I left them to sort it all out.

So be sure to check it all over if your car goes in and do not accept it unless you are 100% happy, only positive is that the doors in themselves looked a good quality paint job.

Just had my claim submitted.

Apparently BMW have changed the repair process very very recently. It's a localised repair now so will only treat the area affected as opposed to the whole door. 

Just had the call to say mine is ready, second time lucky!! I will report back once I have got it and had a better look. Good luck @deano16v just make sure its done 100% to your satisifaction.

Second time lucky, all fixed and looks really good, it seems like they have painted all 4 doors complete but I maybe wrong. What's quite good is I had a few chips from before I owned it in the door edge that are now gone.

She looks like a new car, literally not a mark on it and as I have all 4 wheels refurbished last year also not marked.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Thanks percha for the heads up on checking thoroughly before you leave after the repair, yours looks great now I bet you are pleased it's all sorted properly now.

Mine goes in to be checked tomorrow for paint thickness, strange the BMW bodyshop person I spoke over the phone said he had not come across this corrosion problem before, and asked how old the car was, I'm expecting they will try and fob me off tomorrow, I did tell him there is a ISTA bulletin issued by BMW regarding this known issue, and I will take a copy with me tomorrow, I got a very distinct feeling they don't want BMW owners to know about this corrosion issue, I can now see corrosion on all four of my doors now albeit the rear doors are not as bad, my main concern being my F11 is silver its known to be hard colour to match and blend in.

7 hours ago, deano16v said:

Just had my claim submitted.

Apparently BMW have changed the repair process very very recently. It's a localised repair now so will only treat the area affected as opposed to the whole door. 

Wonder if this is case with mine its in 7th next month.

33 minutes ago, Oilburner said:

Thanks percha for the heads up on checking thoroughly before you leave after the repair, yours looks great now I bet you are pleased it's all sorted properly now.

+1

34 minutes ago, Oilburner said:

he had not come across this corrosion problem before,

They mostly all say that buddy.

Edited by marko530d

When i purchased mine and spotted corroision on the doors,salesman tried to say that it was only stone chip and never ever he saw anything like that before. They are liars. Also approved used cars before they go for sale apparently those are checked and tested and then checked again,thats not true also. So before buying one it needs to be checked by buyer carefully.

Car went in yesterday for corrosion check on the doors, bodyshop person said they will submit a claim but BMW will reject the claim because it's service history has not been maintained by BMW dealership, I pointed out whilst that is correct apart from the very first oil change and end of warranty check at three years old with mileage at only 13,850 miles, since that time I have maintained it to a higher standard than BMW with oil changes at 5,000 -7,000 miles max, using Castrol 0W30 or Shell 5w30 full synthetic oil approved for BMW, and using only genuine Mahle filters all the servicing has been entered into a service book along with receipts, he said he could not comment on servicing as he is just bmw bodyshop person, he also commented on the drivers door may have been sprayed saying the thickness of paint was marginal, I said as I was the only owner from new and if the drivers door had been touched prior rolling out the showroom it could have been the BMW dealer themselves, although personally I dont think the drivers door has been touched with paint since it left the factory, it's more than likely they are trying to build a case not to accept the claim,  I should know in a week to 10 days about the claim, I have more to divulge regarding this issue but will wait until I hear one way or the other back from BMW otherwise it may affect the current claim.

23 minutes ago, Oilburner said:

Car went in yesterday for corrosion check on the doors, bodyshop person said they will submit a claim but BMW will reject the claim because it's service history has not been maintained by BMW dealership, I pointed out whilst that is correct apart from the very first oil change and end of warranty check at three years old with mileage at only 13,850 miles, since that time I have maintained it to a higher standard than BMW with oil changes at 5,000 -7,000 miles max, using Castrol 0W30 or Shell 5w30 full synthetic oil approved for BMW, and using only genuine Mahle filters all the servicing has been entered into a service book along with receipts, he said he could not comment on servicing as he is just bmw bodyshop person, he also commented on the drivers door may have been sprayed saying the thickness of paint was marginal, I said as I was the only owner from new and if the drivers door had been touched prior rolling out the showroom it could have been the BMW dealer themselves, although personally I dont think the drivers door has been touched with paint since it left the factory, it's more than likely they are trying to build a case not to accept the claim,  I should know in a week to 10 days about the claim, I have more to divulge regarding this issue but will wait until I hear one way or the other back from BMW otherwise it may affect the current claim.

that's ridiculous. i don't think i was asked once about any service history or anything like that (and my car being on more owners than i can count and 190k, not withstanding the fact it hasn't seen the inside of a BMW dealer for at least 4 years!) . i turned up, they looked over the car and they took some pictures and submitted the claim. heard back 2 days later that it was approved.

2 hours ago, Oilburner said:

Sounds like the experience I had with Sytner. Eventually got it done via a different franchise. Good luck and dont accept their lies and avoidance tactics!

9 hours ago, deano16v said:

claim approved, car goes in next friday. wonder what courtesy car i'll get! 

Yours is in same same day as mine @deano16vB)

Was in for service last week and got mini clubman as a loaner.

Edited by marko530d

Hey folks. I’m looking to buy a 2016 f11 model, do you know when the rust issue was fixed at production build time by the factory. I believe according to the ISTA document it was 03/2016?

Have people seen issues in 2015, 2016, 2017 models? 

Out of interest, what is the cause of the rust? Is it trapped water behind the door trim that causes it?

Edited by Mineral

On 4/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, bones said:

When I was probing regarding the mid panel bubbles the inspector said if the claim was accepted the full doors would be painted so I may not get to the bottom of it. I will update when I know more, be gutted if they knock the claim back as it was a keeper.

Just had a call from Bowkers this morning and BMW have agreed to paint all four doors, I have to say I am impressed with the service because whilst I wouoldnt expect corrosion on a 7yr old premium car I did expect some resistance due to the car not having full BMW service history. 

Anyway its booked in for Monday and I'll let you know how I get on.

17 hours ago, bones said:

Just had a call from Bowkers this morning and BMW have agreed to paint all four doors, I have to say I am impressed with the service because whilst I wouoldnt expect corrosion on a 7yr old premium car I did expect some resistance due to the car not having full BMW service history. 

Anyway its booked in for Monday and I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi. Body of the car has nothing to do with service history. Only thing that can make BMW refuse corrosion repair if doors or another body panel that is under question was resprayed or had other repairs done to it. So no favours done here by Bmw and they fixing their mistakes. 

Car was at Sytner Cardiff and they replaced trim on top of doors. 

I thought that it was sorted now,but last week spotted that drivers side doors twitter trim has popped up somehow and there was a bit of a gap betwin twitter trim and door trim. Had a closer look and found that trim that goes on the window frame inside the car has a crack in it. Took couple pictures and contacted Cardiff Sytner again. Got reply yesterday that they a very sorry and that trim is ordered and should be there this week.

Am i unlucky or people who work in these big dealerships are useless? :D

Offcourse there are a lot of good mechanics,body repairers,but mainly info out there that skills are poor.

IMG_20210429_185429.jpg

IMG_20210429_185404.jpg

Dropped mine off today got mini Cooper sport loaner. 

Dropped mine off today got mini Cooper sport loaner. 

Screenshot-20210507-102135-Whats-App.jpg

Put my wife on insurance so she's going to use it.

Not much room in back for child seat.

Edited by marko530d

I got a 320i. quite nice but a bit flat after my 535d unsurprisingly. Funnily enough I'd always though the ride on my F10 wasn't amazing but i know realise its little to no worse than a brand new 3 series so that's good. just wish the gearbox was as good in mine :lol:

When you say repaired, if they’re not replacing the doors the rust will just come back, it’s like a disease, once it’s in the metal it’s always there. 

At what age was this a problem until? Does anyone know the cause or if they resolved the problem? The bulletin doesn’t give any info