535i Andrew

Engaging N, shift out of P without engine

Unlock transmission lock electronically

• The emergency release is only possible if the engine does not start and the starter is turning.
  • If the emergency release must be activated although the engine starts, the fuse for the electrical fuel pump may be pulled.
  • The emergency release is active for 15 minutes.
  • As soon as a wheel speed signal is recorded, this period will be extended by another 15 minutes.
  • After this period of time, the transmission lock will be engaged without a message.
  • The chronological information depends on the battery capacity.

Important!

To operate the electronic emergency transmission release system the vehicle must not be towed but rather only pushed.

In the case of misuse, a corresponding fault is entered in the fault memory.

• Switch the ignition on.
  • Apply the brake pedal and hold it down during the entire procedure.
  • Press start/stop button.
  • The starting operation may last for some seconds in low ambient temperatures and for diesel engines.
  • As soon as the starter motor can be heard to operate

EUAzh5TR Press and hold down the release button (1)

EU8njzI9

1. The specified time must necessarily be complied with!
  2. Push selector lever (2) forward up to point of resistance and hold for 2 seconds.
  3. Release the selector lever and quickly move it forward by another level again.

EUF4XXIm

• The selector lever position N is displayed in the instrument cluster.
  • The transmission lock is now electronically unlocked.
  • Release the brake pedal after the transmission lock has been successfully unlocked.
  • Leave the ignition switched on in order to subsequently move the vehicle.
  • The transmission automatically shifts into P when the ignition is turned off.

Important!

The transmission lock is reactivated without a message when the start/stop button is pressed again.

If the gearbox cannot be released, turn the ignition off and on again and repeat the previous steps.

Allow the starter to cool down for approx. 10 minutes after unsuccessful attempts.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/24-automatic-transmission/24-00-automatic-transmission/ETzfShqL

Just now, 535i Andrew said:

Thanks Jake.

Don't fancy it shifting back into P without warning if you go over the 15 mins!

I've read that before, but clearly forgotten!

would be an intersting sight to see if the car was towed not knowing theres a 15 minute bomb at the back :)

On 07/12/2017 at 10:14, jake13 said:

• The emergency release is only possible if the engine does not start and the starter is turning.
  • If the emergency release must be activated although the engine starts, the fuse for the electrical fuel pump may be pulled.
  • The emergency release is active for 15 minutes.
  • As soon as a wheel speed signal is recorded, this period will be extended by another 15 minutes.
  • After this period of time, the transmission lock will be engaged without a message.
  • The chronological information depends on the battery capacity.

Important!

To operate the electronic emergency transmission release system the vehicle must not be towed but rather only pushed.

In the case of misuse, a corresponding fault is entered in the fault memory.

• Switch the ignition on.
  • Apply the brake pedal and hold it down during the entire procedure.
  • Press start/stop button.
  • The starting operation may last for some seconds in low ambient temperatures and for diesel engines.
  • As soon as the starter motor can be heard to operate

EUAzh5TR Press and hold down the release button (1)

EU8njzI9

1. The specified time must necessarily be complied with!
  2. Push selector lever (2) forward up to point of resistance and hold for 2 seconds.
  3. Release the selector lever and quickly move it forward by another level again.

EUF4XXIm

• The selector lever position N is displayed in the instrument cluster.
  • The transmission lock is now electronically unlocked.
  • Release the brake pedal after the transmission lock has been successfully unlocked.
  • Leave the ignition switched on in order to subsequently move the vehicle.
  • The transmission automatically shifts into P when the ignition is turned off.

Important!

The transmission lock is reactivated without a message when the start/stop button is pressed again.

If the gearbox cannot be released, turn the ignition off and on again and repeat the previous steps.

Allow the starter to cool down for approx. 10 minutes after unsuccessful attempts.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/24-automatic-transmission/24-00-automatic-transmission/ETzfShqL

this is quite an old post but I just wanted to take a moment to say that this works! Well, on a 2011 F11 520d anyway!

Had to get it recovered using skids by the recovery firm, but when it was dropped off (257 miles away!!) I needed to move it and nothing else was working. Now I have my driveway back and I can start trying to figure out what’s wrong with the car. 

thanks again @jake13

On 11/13/2017 at 12:27 AM, stchris356 said:

As said above there is no release mechanism, I have used the bolt release a couple of time but it's a PIA!

On some models, if the car will crank over, whilst it's cranking you can select neutral but it only stays selected fo 30mis so DON'T flat tow it.

Yes I believe that is correct, when I had my 330 e91 if you removed the auto shift stick there should be a release there somewhere?