USTBUTLER

540i Automatic Gearbox Problem

Right as some of you know we have brought another E34 540i as a barn find ... well field find :ph34r:.

The seller had broken the gearbox selector wire anyway today upon changing the wire we have noticed the gearbox selector fork is stuck what could be the course of this ? It's been off the road since 2002 and covered 124K Miles

Many thanks Stefan.B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ustbutler

Stefan, do you not think it could be just being a bit stubborn as it's been off the road and unused for over 15 years? Before you do anything else I would see if you can manually select the gears  without using the cable. I think there should be a 10mm or 13mm nut that holds the gear selector cable onto the gear selector shaft. Before refitting the cable, spray some wd-40 around the selector shaft then see if you can get it to manual shift with a spanner or socket instead. That's what I would do as it's probably similar to say a cable operated brakes on a bicycle that hasn't been used in 15 odd years and are just simply stuck to due to lack of use. It probably just wants "cracking off" then with a bit off luck you might be able to select some gears! Hope this helps and good luck. All best Marc B)

Edited by boiliebasher

2 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Stefan, do you not think it could be just being a bit stubborn as it's been off the road and unused for over 15 years? Before you do anything else I would see if you can manually select the gears  without using the cable. I think there should be a 10mm or 13mm nut that holds the gear selector cable onto the gear selector shaft. Before refitting the cable, spray some wd-40 around the selector shaft then see if you can get it to manual shift with a spanner or socket instead. That's what I would do as it's probably similar to say a cable operated brakes on a bicycle that hasn't been used in 15 odd years and are just simply stuck to due to lack of use. It probably just wants "cracking off" then with a bit off luck you might be able to select some gears! Hope this helps and good luck. All best Marc B)

Hi Marc.

I've removed the cable,So the lever is still attached to the box But the lever is still solid I've used piping to get some full on the lever

but i'm aware the lever pin is plastic so i'm not keen on using too much force :lol:

I have used a large amount of WD40 type spray .... So might try again tomorrow :) We removed the fuel tank today.

Edited by Carl-e34

Please do NOT hit or use anything to force the lever on the side of the gearbox. You will probably only succeed in breaking the end off the manual shift valve which may we stuck. For ref, the ZF part no. is 1056327173 and you can pick them up for about £12 though you may have to drop the valve body. You would have to do that anyway to get at the parking brake linkage which is also attached to that lever (inside the box) but FWIW I think it is pretty unlikely that that is the issue. If you do go down that route, don't forget to hook up the end of the manual valve with the lever inside the box or you will end up with a box full of nothing :)

Edited by whiskychaser

On 28/09/2017 at 4:25 PM, boiliebasher said:

14 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

Please do NOT hit or use anything to force the lever on the side of the gearbox. You will probably only succeed in breaking the end off the manual shift valve which may we stuck. For ref, the ZF part no. is 1056327173 and you can pick them up for about £12 though you may have to drop the valve body. You would have to do that anyway to get at the parking brake linkage which is also attached to that lever (inside the box) but FWIW I think it is pretty unlikely that that is the issue. If you do go down that route, don't forget to hook up the end of the manual valve with the lever inside the box or you will end up with a box full of nothing :)

Hi guys, 

I've news to report ... well after a full can of oil and much patience. The lever has just started working, four days of oiling has done the trick

The lever is now going along nice and tight ... So next is fitting the new cable :)

( Thanks for all the comments on this tread guys )

Edited by Carl-e34

Great news :) You should be able to move the lever on the side of the trans with one hand though you need to apply 'firm' pressure to shift it. If you don't know already, it is in park when the lever is as far forward as it will go.  It is worth counting the 'clicks' so you know you have the full range of movement.   

3 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

Great news :) You should be able to move the lever on the side of the trans with one hand though you need to apply 'firm' pressure to shift it. If you don't know already, it is in park when the lever is as far forward as it will go.  It is worth counting the 'clicks' so you know you have the full range of movement.   

That's great ... i was not sure to be honest :) That's made things loads easier ... Thanks mate :)

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, Carl-e34 said:

Hi guys, 

I've news to report ... well after a full can of oil and much patience. The lever has just started working, four days of oiling has done the trick

The lever is now going along nice and tight ... So next is fitting the new cable :)

( Thanks for all the comments on this tread guys )

Clucking result! I like it when perseverance pays off and a plan comes together! :) That's got to be a major bonus that the g/box looks like it will able to select it's gears! :) Nice one!  

Edited by boiliebasher

8 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Clucking result! I like it when perseverance pays off and a plan comes together! :) That's got to be a major bonus that the g/box looks like it will able to select it's gears! :) Nice one!  

I'm hoping the same approach works with the wipers :lol: 

4 hours ago, Dongiov said:

Carl-E34 What's the latest now?

Hi Geoff  Well, Our indie is under the impression that the fluid could be low  ... resulting in the issue ? But i'm not so sure ! So time will tell ...

The strange issues with the LCD have now gone .... We changed all the relays under the rear bench.