2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

One thing to note, I remember having this conundrum when doing mine until I double checked against the wiring diagram in ISTA and deduced that the picture you show above is for a left hand drive car and the connections are upside down on right hand drive cars so when i looked at the correct plug, being the bottom plug in your picture, I found the wire to tap into.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the info.  I live in Denmark, so my car i a LHD. 

The Westfalia kit will work perfectly well without the brake light wire connected. I successfully fitted this without connecting that wire on my dads 530d.

Like you when I fitted that kit to my dad's F10 I struggled to find the correct location to connect into. I was unaware of wiring diagrams at the time. I contacted Westfalia UK who advised that it will work without the connection and it's a fail safe connection so that the towed item will have a back up brake light on signal. Westfalia UK also advised that it can be connected into the rear centre brake light. I didn't do that either as we had a working look which my dad towed with successfully for years without issue.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

The Westfalia kit will work perfectly well without the brake light wire connected. I successfully fitted this without connecting that wire on my dads 530d.

Like you when I fitted that kit to my dad's F10 I struggled to find the correct location to connect into. I was unaware of wiring diagrams at the time. I contacted Westfalia UK who advised that it will work without the connection and it's a fail safe connection so that the towed item will have a back up brake light on signal. Westfalia UK also advised that it can be connected into the rear centre brake light. I didn't do that either as we had a working look which my dad towed with successfully for years without issue.

I tried not connecting it and then the brake light didn't work on the trailer. The main problem now is that it does not disable the parking sensors when connecting a trailer. Could that be caused by the "charging wire" I mentioned earlier not being correctly connected?

5 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

One thing to note, I remember having this conundrum when doing mine until I double checked against the wiring diagram in ISTA and deduced that the picture you show above is for a left hand drive car and the connections are upside down on right hand drive cars so when i looked at the correct plug, being the bottom plug in your picture, I found the wire to tap into.

Can you by any chance remember the color of the cable? I'm having trouble finding it.

1 hour ago, ABOGH said:

Can you by any chance remember the color of the cable? I'm having trouble finding it.

PM me your full VIN number and I'll get the details from ISTA for you.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

PM me your full VIN number and I'll get the details from ISTA for you.

PM Sent. I am very grateful for your help.

Edited by ABOGH

3 hours ago, ABOGH said:

The main problem now is that it does not disable the parking sensors when connecting a trailer. Could that be caused by the "charging wire" I mentioned earlier not being correctly connected?

The system deactivates the parking sensors when you engage reverse with a trailer plugged in.  It detects the electrical resistance of certain lighting circuits on the trailer, the instructions I had suggested it looked for a fog light on the trailer so I frigged one with a 50W 6.6 Ohm resistor to fool it.  Does you trailer have a fog light?

Does your trailer have ordinary filament bulbs?  Some towbar wiring systems can be fussy if the towed item has LED lights as it cannot detect the electrical load from LEDs.

14 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The system deactivates the parking sensors when you engage reverse with a trailer plugged in.  It detects the electrical resistance of certain lighting circuits on the trailer, the instructions I had suggested it looked for a fog light on the trailer so I frigged one with a 50W 6.6 Ohm resistor to fool it.  Does you trailer have a fog light?

Does your trailer have ordinary filament bulbs?  Some towbar wiring systems can be fussy if the towed item has LED lights as it cannot detect the electrical load from LEDs.

My trailer does not have a fog light. My trailer is with ordinary filament bulbs. To old to have LED :)

I have read that it should disable sensor with any trailer (except some LED). 

I have found out that the charging wire was not connected correctly. It does not have power when ignition is on. I'm guessing that this is power for the trailer module? which may cause it not to disable the sensors? Problem is that I cannot find the correct wire by the ZGW.  

I have disconnected the charging wire and it made no differnence to how the trailer works.

The charging wire should be separate from the feed for the Westfalia module.  What I would call a charging wire is only needed if you have a caravan that needs a permanent live (pin 9 on 13 pin systems) for battery charging/internal lights or an ignition switch supply (pin 10 on 13 pin systems) for cooling your beers while towing a caravan.

A bog standard trailer does not need a charging wire (separate Westfalia kit) to make it work.  

Do all the trailer lights work correctly and of the correct wattage? 5W tails and 21W for everything else.

It is the ignition switch supply (pin 10) I cannot find the wire for.

All lights on the trailer works, but sensors doesn’t switch of when in reverse gear. I have not measured the wattage but can do it tomorrow.

only cable not connected is the ignition switch supply.

2 minutes ago, ABOGH said:

You don't need that for the trailer.

On the Westfalia loom I fitted 6 years ago the wiring needed for pin 10 was an additional kit from Westfalia.  It was very expensive for what it was when fitted to my dads F10.  

When I needed to wire up pin 10 on my towbar I bought myself some lengths of 2.5mm^2 cable and a split charge (caravan) relay for £20 and fitted it myself.

Far more robust relay that the Westfalia one.

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

You don't need that for the trailer.

On the Westfalia loom I fitted 6 years ago the wiring needed for pin 10 was an additional kit from Westfalia.  It was very expensive for what it was when fitted to my dads F10.  

When I needed to wire up pin 10 on my towbar I bought myself some lengths of 2.5mm^2 cable and a split charge (caravan) relay for £20 and fitted it myself.

Far more robust relay that the Westfalia one.

But my westfalia Wiring kit does have the wire for pin 10 - I just can’t find the correct wire in the car. Shouldn’t it be connected whennit is there? Even if it is not needed for a normal trailer.

48 minutes ago, ABOGH said:

All lights on the trailer works, but sensors doesn’t switch of when in reverse gear. I have not measured the wattage but can do it tomorrow.

only cable not connected is the ignition switch supply.

On the Footwell Module (FRM) there are 2 larger plugs to the rear -

(Note: you aren't connecting these wires to the ZGW (Central Gateway) - That is where you connecting the twisted Green and Orange/Green K-CAN wires)

The top plug is A58*3B

The lower plug is A58*2B

The Terminal-15 (ignition) wire is on A58*3B - wire colour: Green with White stripe. Pin: 12 = Connect the ORANGE Westfalia wire here.

The Brake light wire is on A58*2B - wire colour: (for right brake light): Green with Grey stripe. Pin: 9 / wire colour: (for left brake light): Green with Blue stripe. Pin: 43 - Choose either and connect the BLACK/YELLOW Westfalia wire here.

I'll PM you the documents rather than here as they have your VIN on display.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

I'm remembering what I did 6.5 years ago.  I couldn't find it either so we binned the expensive Westfalia additional kit and I retro fitted the same type of relay that I fitted to my F10 for supplying pin 10 on my dads F10.

However Matthew has given a better answer and explained earlier (what I didn't appreciate at the time) that it was upside down/back to front in the LHD v RHD set ups and I didn't have access to wiring diagrams.

You are quite right to want it to work properly. 

@Matthew Ashton: Many thanks for the info. It is much appreciated.
@535i Andrew: Thank you for all your replys

I will take another look at it when I get home from work. I'm very amazed how helpful people are in this forum :) 

Just a little update from here. I connected the last two wires today and everything works perfect now :) 

Thanks to all for their input and a special thank you to Matthew Ashton for superb help. I really appreciate it  a lot :)