rickyclean

Drive Train Error Message

Hi All

At the beginning of the month, when parking my F11 at my sisters, I got a "Drive Train Error" message come up on my screen and it suggested the car only had half power (Unverifiable as I was parking at the time). After dropping my kids and dog off I went for a drive, but the message disappeared, so thought nothing more of it. 

However, last night whilst driving on the A3 the message came up, but there seemed to be no change in power delivery even though it said only part power was available. The message then disappeared until an hour into the journey it came back on, though still no loss of power. This morning it happened again in stop start traffic in London so could not tell if there was a loss of power. But driving back to my office in Guildford on the A3 at dual carriageway speeds it came on again and I felt a discernible loss of power. 2 minutes later the message switched off and the power was back.

I have the car booked in at Vines of Guildford on Friday (they could not fit me in for even a diagnostic test before then), but this has me a little concerned....

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks All

RC

Drive train error could mean anything from a cam sensor to a temp sensor to something in the autobox.  You have done the right thing and got it booked in for diagnostics.

Sometimes with dealers if it is a fault like this but can't fit you in for a few days, if you take it to them and just leave it with them and are prepared to wait, they might squeeze you in somewhere.

I had the orange cog of death appear on my E39, local dealer said 10 days before they could look at it.  I explained that I wasn't happy driving it, so they offered, drop it off and leave it with us for a few days we will look at it when we can.  Phone call 2 hours after drop off telling me what was wrong.

7 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Drive train error could mean anything from a cam sensor to a temp sensor to something in the autobox.  You have done the right thing and got it booked in for diagnostics.

Sometimes with dealers if it is a fault like this but can't fit you in for a few days, if you take it to them and just leave it with them and are prepared to wait, they might squeeze you in somewhere.

I had the orange cog of death appear on my E39, local dealer said 10 days before they could look at it.  I explained that I wasn't happy driving it, so they offered, drop it off and leave it with us for a few days we will look at it when we can.  Phone call 2 hours after drop off telling me what was wrong.

Looking at a few posts on here it does seem a few member have had this issue and many of them as a result of a faulty coil pack.... Time for that trusty warranty to implemented. Annoyingly though I am not going to be give a replacement car which is a pain as I desperately need the car this weekend, so hopefully an easy fix.

If you know what you are doing, I believe it's easy enough to read fault codes with a laptop, appropriate cable and ISTA. 

I've not quite got there yet as I'm still into fixing cars with spanners rather than IT wizardry.

You will certainly have a fault code logged away somewhere given your description. Once you know that, it may be as simple as replacing a coil pack, or a cam sensor, or a crank sensor, or an egr valve, or a turbo, or a temp sensor, or a thermostat or or or. Until you know what's wrong it's all just speculation sadly.

7 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

If you know what you are doing, I believe it's easy enough to read fault codes with a laptop, appropriate cable and ISTA. 

I've not quite got there yet as I'm still into fixing cars with spanners rather than IT wizardry.

You will certainly have a fault code logged away somewhere given your description. Once you know that, it may be as simple as replacing a coil pack, or a cam sensor, or a crank sensor, or an egr valve, or a turbo, or a temp sensor, or a thermostat or or or. Until you know what's wrong it's all just speculation sadly.

Indeed so! I haven't the appropriate cable, like you I tend to know the oily stuff!! 

Thanks for the help though and here's hoping it is a simple job!

As said you need a code reader really. I have rheingold setup at home but I also carry a cheap Bluetooth OBD reader which is easy to use and I leave it in the car.  I got stuck with a burnt out coil pack a while back. Had to drive home on 5 cylinders.  I now carry the OBD and a spare coil in the boot.  Not had a problem since.

Not the the most helpful post I'll ever make but as you drive a diesel you don't have coil packs. Hopefully just a sensor failing intermittently but it should have logged a fault code as the error has popped up numerous times so easy for BMW to rectify.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

36 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Not the the most helpful post I'll ever make but as you drive a diesel you don't have coil packs. Hopefully just a sensor failing intermittently but it should have logged a fault code as the error has popped up numerous times so easy for BMW to rectify.

Yeah was going to point that out too haha 

If you've got BMW warranty with breakdown, i would ring them and say your stranded. BMW will provide a hire car whilst they get yours sorted (even if it means paying enterprise). Dealers will also fit you in much sooner as it'll be BMW making the booking. 

14 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Well that is embarrassing as I do actually know that.... :unsure:

Edited by rickyclean

11 hours ago, Alexak said:

It is telling you that you have made a mistake and should instead be driving a train today.

Simples

HTH

:lol:

4 hours ago, rickyclean said:

Well that is embarrassing as I do actually know that.... :unsure:

Yep, no spark plugs, no coil packs. The high compression in the diesel engine does the job instead.

Hi All

Many Thanks for all the responses, this is truly and excellent community of owners that are keen to help!

So I took the car to Vines of Guildford on Friday and it turns out that the issue is a faulty exhaust gas temperature sensor. It is being fitted today, so hopefully I will have the car later this afternoon with a clean bill of health.

Thanks again all

RC

So quick update. Car drove for 3 minutes from the dealership and the error message came up and went to half power, so it is now back at Vines Guildford. As the dealership had no cars for me, they organised through BMW Roadside a cab to the office and a car is being delivered to me via Enterprise. The service manager was extremely apologetic and was rather shocked. The car should have been driven before being released and the technician said he had, but clearly not. Hopefully it's not a bigger problem!

So picked the car up this morning and,so far, all is well. On Monday I did ask for an explanation as to why the car was signed off as fixed when it clearly wasn't and the service manager confirmed that he had already asked that question and he was waiting on the answer. Said answer was given to me this morning and it was a rather shocking one.... The technician in question changed the sensor but could not clear the fault after multiple attempts, so instead of working on a solution to understand why the fault would not clear, he simply confirmed he had the requested repair done. I asked if the car was tested after the repair and he sheepishly said, "clearly not". So I asked to speak to the head technician, which was organised immediately. He confirmed the technician involved had not followed the agreed standard processes and, he to, was shocked that the car was handed back to me with the fault still in place and that it was unacceptable. He said he had dealt with the technician in question and apologised. My view - mistakes happen and if they have learnt from them then it is to everyones benefit in the end. Ultimately they accepted responsibility and put things right (including a discount on my next service).

So how did they fix it? They replaced a wiring loom and this has rectified the problem (touch wood).

On 02/10/2017 at 4:58 PM, bmwmike said:

At least they apologised. I was more shocked at your prior post where you thought they'd fixed it first go.

Agreed

At least it is fixed and you got an apology (I have had the odd frustrating experience with my own although not on the same level). Ever since strangely enough I have never had to get frustrated (I tend to just ask for the SM by first name now, I also know the Brand Director by first name because of the original issues...it was his car originally...).

In regards to the tech though in the original instance that is just being a lazy, poor worker and does everyone damage when the customer still finds the problem.

Agree that's poor from just one individual in a long chain, but if one link fails it's total failure.

Any offers of goodwill considering it was such a blatant fail and admission of that on their part.

But the main thing is that you have your pride and joy back firing on all cylinders.