Jump to content
LeQuack

2014 F10 - 520d - 100k. What to look out for?

Recommended Posts

Evening everyone!

 

I'm looking at a well specced 2014 F10 520d with +100k miles on the clock. As it's done an average over 33k miles a year, it leads me to thinking that this has been an ex-company car that has spent most of its time, being treated well by executives on the motorway.

 

As long as it has a complete service history showing that it's been well looked after with the maintenance schedule, what else should I be looking for with a car that has done that mileage? And how many servicings should have been completed over the 3yrs of use?

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run the last 7 digits of the chassis number thru this web site.

 

https://www.bmwvin.com/

 

If it shows an N47 engine, don't go near it. This engine suffers from premature timing chain wear which requires the engine to come out to fix it.

 

buy a 530d, it's leagues better. The extra two cylinders make a world of difference and is far more fitting to be in a 5 Series rather than a rattly 4 pot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"520d - 100k. What to look out for?"

 

If serviced to schedule the absolutely nothing

HTH

 

Ok I lied maybe the gaiters and bump stops on the rear shocks might have perished (£20 each) and there might be a wee bit of wear on the drivers seat but that really is being picky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were changes to N47 timing gear in 2011/12 which should've fixed the problem, having said, that I wouldn't buy an N47 with 100k, spend a little more and get a 2015 520d with a B47 engine. I've had both N & B derivatives and the latter is a much better engine and moves an F10 with remarkable speed and agility, helped considerably by chopping off those extra 2 weighty and superfluous cylinders :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, IanS100 said:

There were changes to N47 timing gear in 2011/12 which should've fixed the problem, 

 

See ChrisCoz's current nightmare in a 2012 N47 engined car which is in need of a timing chain replacement. BMW supposedly fixed this once before in 2009 yet the engine is still plagued with failures. 

 

I agree that going for the B47 is a far better bet. Or as Andrew points out, jump to the N57 6 cylinder which is a great engine (biased here of course). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 100k

 

mine is at 96k with the N47T engine.  I have had to replace the rear airbag suspension,  O/S Front wheel bearing, the clutch and DMF as on a manual only last 70k.  And the timing chain is worn and it rattling like an old bike chain. Car has full main stealer service history aswell, but didn't go in my favour.  

 

Hopefully yours will be better.  Fingers crossed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE

 

Went to see the car in the flesh - 1 owner from new, exterior was immaculate, interior was the same, service history had 10x receipts for each one done at 10k mile intervals, all that's needed doing was the usual service stuff. It was in fact a 2014 525d, fully spec with Pro Nav/Media and LED adaptable lighting, a 6-month warranty with Car Protect. Frankly, I don't think I've done too badly for £14k.

 

Very VERY excited to be back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LeQuack said:

UPDATE

 

Went to see the car in the flesh - 1 owner from new, exterior was immaculate, interior was the same, service history had 10x receipts for each one done at 10k mile intervals, all that's needed doing was the usual service stuff. It was in fact a 2014 525d, fully spec with Pro Nav/Media and LED adaptable lighting, a 6-month warranty with Car Protect. Frankly, I don't think I've done too badly for £14k.

 

Very VERY excited to be back!

 

Enjoy the car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2017 at 7:47 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Run the last 7 digits of the chassis number thru this web site.

 

https://www.bmwvin.com/

 

If it shows an N47 engine, don't go near it. This engine suffers from premature timing chain wear which requires the engine to come out to fix it.

 

buy a 530d, it's leagues better. The extra two cylinders make a world of difference and is far more fitting to be in a 5 Series rather than a rattly 4 pot.

If its done over a 100k miles would that still be considered premature wear??

Anyway if its done that miles and drives right and sounds right then I would not be too concerned about timing chain issue.

Ask yourself this-of all the N47 engined cars how many are still on the road and how many have been written off by timing chain issue??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mazi said:

If its done over a 100k miles would that still be considered premature wear??

Anyway if its done that miles and drives right and sounds right then I would not be too concerned about timing chain issue.

Ask yourself this-of all the N47 engined cars how many are still on the road and how many have been written off by timing chain issue??

 

This is all a moot point as the OP has bought his 2014 525d and is happy with his decision and I hope he gets many more miles of carefree driving in his new car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be too worried with a 2014 N47T engine. Just continue to keep the oil changes regular as the previous owner did.

 

Enjoy!

Edited by IINexusII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - well done on your new purchase.

 

As above - more regular oil changes than BMW suggest will assist in keeping the car going for many more miles to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mazi said:

Ask yourself this-of all the N47 engined cars how many are still on the road and how many have been written off by timing chain issue??

 

That's pretty much my thinking, I know there's been a lot of talk about this on the interwebs, but given how many have been sold versus the actual number of failures?

 

 

11 hours ago, IINexusII said:

I wouldn't be too worried with a 2014 N47T engine. Just continue to keep the oil changes regular as the previous owner did.

 

Enjoy!

 

10 hours ago, E39mad said:

Yes - well done on your new purchase.

 

As above - more regular oil changes than BMW suggest will assist in keeping the car going for many more miles to come.

 

Yup, independant garage service every 10k and an oil & filter change by myself inbetween. No such thing as too many oil changes!

 

 

Thanks everyone - plenty of pics when I finally get a hold of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just purchased a March 14 plate 2.0d which as covered 28k miles,after reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that I will do an oil change in addition to the BMW service package that came with the car

 

158A6814-C841-49C9-B45F-EAEEC95EFC03.thumb.jpeg.fc98bf90859e526f0df934e368e7cf8c.jpeg

 

Edited by Phill20d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phill20d said:

I have just purchased a March 14 plate 2.0d which as covered 28k miles,after reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that I will do an oil change in addition to the BMW service package that came with the car

 

 

Definitely a good idea especially on one with the N47 engine such as yours. Hope you have many miles of trouble-free driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sold my manual 2011 N47 520 with 147k miles - oil changes every 10k, new rear airbags at 120k and other than that it has been perfect - almost sounded like it did with 50k on it.

 

Having said that, I've swapped it for a 535d with 50k and am loving the superfluous cylinders :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

Definitely a good idea especially on ....

...all engines, I would add.

 

The oil in my sump has done a little under 6k in the year it has been sloshing around in there. I am very conscious that this isn't good either and am longing for the house diy to finish so I can spend some weekend time on the car and do an oil change.

 

Nice clean big barge there @Phill20d. Enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2011 F11 520D SE (N47 engine) is now up to 174K with no timing chain issues, ......my previous 2008 E61 520D (also an N47 engine) got to 200K before I sold it with no Timing Chain issues.

I religiously change the Oil every 10K and fit anew Oil filter every 20K.....both cars were 4 years old and had 130K on them when I bought them.

 

So in my opinion, if you take the wise "preventative maintenance" approach................There's no need to stress over having a N47 lump under your bonnet.

 

NB: I don't even have to get under the car, as I use a Sealey Vacuum Extractor to suck the oil out through the dipstick...........This way you get most of it out and whats left get regularly diluted with fresh new oil.

I use GM Dexos 2 5W30 Oil @ £20 for 5 litres..............and Mahle Oil Filters, which usually cost ~ £9 each..............Simples.......

 

PS: My First BMW Diesel was an E46 320D which I took up to 385K Miles before I moved it on ...only due to wheelarch rust bubbles...

 

 

Peter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×