Calypso-E34

Wood trim installation?

I'm considering (only considering!) installing a wood trim kit in a pre facelift E34 SE, which currently does not have this.  I wonder - has anyone done this before?  I know that some of the dash pieces are a push on fit in a car that has this as standard, so would the non-wood dash need a lot of messing with to get this fitted, or would bodging with something like no more nails or double sided tape be a better bet?  I know the door pieces  are bolted on to the door card, so no problem there.

Question 2 - does anyone have a wood kit for an automatic they want to sell?

You would need to swap the dash and door cards for facelift items to do properly. I have seen a stick-on retrofit somewhere recently although i'm not sure it would look "right" without the OEM indentations in the facelift dash & door cards.

C.

Edited by cableguy

All you need to do is to swop over the door cards, gloveboxes and consoles from a facelift car.  Easy to do and the principal reason for doing it is to use the later, better door cards that are far less prone to vinyl lift than the earlier ones.

30 minutes ago, cableguy said:

Never seen wood on any pre-facelift e34.

C.

1 minute ago, The Flying Banana said:

no wood on your model Mark , as Carl says there was a cheap stick on effort that looked hellish ..so for your OEM fix you need to leave as is :)

Sweet - One less thing!!

I would definitely fit the wood trim and sod originality.  This one has had a *ahem* slightly DIY repair to the drivers rear door trim (not by me) and the passenger side door cards were so utterly shagged I was forced to replace them with good ones.

Tim may well have a good set - they won't be loads of money.

DSCN5075.jpg

IMG_9131.jpg

I've only seen aftermarket stick on wood on pre face-lift