Michaelc5086

New project

Hello all.

I have recently taken on my wife's dad's old BMW 520i. A bit of a back story he was the only owner from new (he even drove it from the factory). But unfortunately he died around 6 years ago. Anyways I didn't think anything of it for a while until I went to my wife's uncles. He had just parked it up and left it to rot. 

Anyhow I have had it carted to my house and the hard work starts! So far I have cleaned it and changed the fuel and oil. I have also had to put a new battery in. I have received all new brakes all round which need to be replaced. 

I also need to sort that the battery light is on. I am guessing ever the alternator is dead (would be a little unlucky), or I think it's the ground. Which may sound a bit far fetched but if it is on the engine or sub frame there is quite a bit of surface corrosion. 

Anyhow plenty of time for technicalities for after. This post is to say Hi. 

IMG_20170812_153702.jpg

IMG_20170815_152850.jpg

IMG_20170815_163609.jpg

IMG_20170816_185154.jpg

Thanks matey. I'm surprised how easy these cars are to work on. Everything feels like it was so thought out! 

I've had an old alfa 145 for years and a 306 gti6 before. Both small cars making everything impossible to reach. I love this car

Quick update have now changed the brakes all round including fluid and bleeding them. 

The alternator was faulty so used a cheaper refurbished part and now that is doing the trick. 

Undercoated some of the car. Bloody awful job. 

After the hard work I decided to pretty up the front end. I can't believe how well it is coming up!!!   

A quick question. The tyres are in really good condition. Good tread, un cracked, round and no damage. I'm pretty sure they were brand new when it was parked. However it was stood for 6 years would this mean new tyres before an mot? 

IMG_20170829_173229.jpg

Edited by Michaelc5086
More detail

A quick question. The tyres are in really good condition. Good tread, un cracked, round and no damage. I'm pretty sure they were brand new when it was parked. However it was stood for 6 years would this mean new tyres before an mot? 

If they look alright, don't vibrate and have plenty of tread they should be okay. Yours has the wrong wheel trims, the bloody awful ones from the early E36. Do your kids like frisbees? There's four right there!

Tyre size, iirc, is 195/65x15 on base cars with steel wheels.

I'm resurrecting a 520i myself, a lightly side swiped 1994 car that has zero rust.

Paint is better nic than mine and mine wasn't covered in anything but dust.

If they look alright, don't vibrate and have plenty of tread they should be okay. Yours has the wrong wheel trims, the bloody awful ones from the early E36. Do your kids like frisbees? There's four right there!

Tyre size, iirc, is 195/65x15 on base cars with steel wheels.

I'm resurrecting a 520i myself, a lightly side swiped 1994 car that has zero rust.

Perhaps some factory bbs wheels (205 or 225/60/r15) would suit its original look. I'm thinking of buying Uniroyal Rain Expert 3's as the budget ones that came with my car don't give me any confidence, especially in the wet. There really isn't much choice at this size, that's the only downside.

Does anyone know what the original tyre would have been? Michelin I imagine?

Could have been Pirelli P6000 or similar, but whatever they were they may not be available today. I think the P6000 would be a good choice for it, an OEM type tread pattern and importantly non-directional. On my old E36 they were the tyres that it drove best on.

Not too bad.

Iirc E34 wiper blades can be pricey but you need a brake hose (£8), two anti roll bar links (20 quid?) and the handbrake stripping and cleaning before adjusting. The steering play will be the 32mm nut at the base off the column needing a tighten I expect. I'd also clean up the rusty bits on the advisories as well.

A weekend of swearing should nail it.

How good is that at that age and after standing for 6 years! I'd have been bricking it over terminal corrosion or something equally nasty but this sounds fixable without selling any organs!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I'm glad it'll live again! As I say when driving it to the station it felt solid. 

I was very happy rust hadn't become a problem. I will tackle some of the the rusty bits throughout the year. Particularly the brake lines me thinks. 

She has an Mot!! Just need a logbook so I can tax it :-(. I concentrated on the big things and forgot about the paperwork :-/. 

I'm getting married in a couple of weeks and wanted to use it. Needless to say my soon to be wife might not be very impressed. Oops. 

Anyway I finished cleaning up the paint :-)

IMG_20170905_171851.jpg