HI all,

has anyone attempted to do the following??

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700327

I really like the idea of this and by all accounts can be done, my car is a 2011 F10 (unsure if this makes mine LCI or pre LCI????) and what exactly does LCI mean??

Thanks in advance

Just the price at nearly £2000 new! Or with the right equipment you could go the 2nd hand route and clear the ODO mileage from the EEPROM. I'd also like to know the history of the donor car if this was me, very wary of stolen cars broken for parts that make their way to the Internet for sale.

Also, if anyone chooses this route to make sure that the cluster is from a donor car with less miles on the clock than yours otherwise the retrofitted cluster will update your car with the higher mileage. The highest common denominator is always used for mileage between the cluster and the DME module.

Personally I wouldn't bother, I like the look of the traditional dials, but then I have HUD so rarely look at the dials. 

My car has this fitted, personally I wouldn't bother, the sports display is just plain garish and makes the car look like you're playing GT6 on a Playstation, if you don't have HUD then OK it gives a little more room for the directions to be displayed but that's it, waste of time/money/gimmick in my books.

Thanks for the advice people, on balance im actually looking at doing the 6WA blackpanel cluster instead, you can find them quite cheap, £350 and by all accounts should be a fairly easy process to swap them over with minimal coding... I assume the same still holds true that the milage needs to be less than my current car? Has anyone done this upgrade??

On 8/9/2017 at 5:19 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

Just the price at nearly £2000 new! Or with the right equipment you could go the 2nd hand route and clear the ODO mileage from the EEPROM. I'd also like to know the history of the donor car if this was me, very wary of stolen cars broken for parts that make their way to the Internet for sale.

Also, if anyone chooses this route to make sure that the cluster is from a donor car with less miles on the clock than yours otherwise the retrofitted cluster will update your car with the higher mileage. The highest common denominator is always used for mileage between the cluster and the DME module.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm on the verge of buying one of these 6WB units. Once it's virginised and the mileage is reset to zero, then its just a case of VO coding yeah?

22 hours ago, adams said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm on the verge of buying one of these 6WB units. Once it's virginised and the mileage is reset to zero, then its just a case of VO coding yeah?

There's loads of information out there on this; in general it's:

Add 6WB to the VO

Change VO Production date << not sure about this bit personally >>

VO Code DKombi and HU_CIC

You may need to do another bit of trickery to ensure the correct CAFD appears when coding (if no CAFD appears). If so:

You need to try and inject CAFD into Kombi ECU:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on DKombi => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on DKombi (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

Might be easier to get the seller to code it too.

10 hours ago, BFleming said:

There's loads of information out there on this; in general it's:

Add 6WB to the VO

Change VO Production date << not sure about this bit personally >>

VO Code DKombi and HU_CIC

You may need to do another bit of trickery to ensure the correct CAFD appears when coding (if no CAFD appears). If so:

You need to try and inject CAFD into Kombi ECU:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on DKombi => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on DKombi (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

Might be easier to get the seller to code it too.

Hi, sorry I didn’t spot the reply until now. Yeah I know there is loads of posts on this it was actually just the comment about the mileage that spooked me a bit but I’m going to give it a go.

I have coded a few things already so I’m comfortable with VO coding. I actually had to do something similar with the CAFD when I installed a reversing camera last year too. 

cheers for the reply

Out of curiosity, what instruments are you replacing? Been thinking about the 6WA for a little while myself... 6WB is a step too far (financially) for me.

I have this on my F11. I bought the car used and therefor, I was not responsible for speccing it. Initially, I thought I preferred the traditional dial of my sisters F11, but over time I must admit I prefer the digital cockpit (no doubt I have just got used to them)... Would I spend £2,000 to replace the traditional dials with the digital ones? I must confess I would not as this seems a very step price to pay for something that will have limited baring on the cars performance or reliability. But this a choice lead by the heart and not the head, so if you will get more pleasure from the car having the digital dash and its as easy as it sounds then why the hell not... Either way, if yo do go ahead with this then do let us know how you get on.

I have yet to fit my 6wa cluster and have it coded, one thing I,m unsure of is my f11 has the headlight assist so it has the screen camera, can the 6wa be coded to recognise speed signs and show it on the display cluster.

1 hour ago, Oldbilly said:

I have yet to fit my 6wa cluster and have it coded, one thing I,m unsure of is my f11 has the headlight assist so it has the screen camera, can the 6wa be coded to recognise speed signs and show it on the display cluster.

No, your car would need a different camera - the one that comes with Lane Departure or the Driving Assistant packages - and the correct option enabling code from BMW to enable SLI.

You can buy an emulator box that taps in behind the cluster that just grabs the data steam from the SATNAV and extracts the speed limit info from the Nav data and displays it on the cluster. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

12 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

No, your car would need a different camera - the one that comes with Lane Departure or the Driving Assistant packages - and the correct option enabling code from BMW to enable SLI.

You can buy an emulator box that taps in behind the cluster that just grabs the data steam from the SATNAV and extracts the speed limit info from the Nav data and displays it on the cluster. 

Thank you Matthew, just to clarify, does this work when not using the sat nav also is it displayed in mph or kph?

?

51 minutes ago, Oldbilly said:

Thank you Matthew, just to clarify, does this work when not using the sat nav also is it displayed in mph or kph?

?

It displays in whatever the car is set to mph/kph and as the SatNav is always active in the background you don’t need to have a destination set for it to work. It is of course a compromise when compared to the real deal and will also need the maps to be updated to take account of changing speed limits in different areas. 

I looked into this module for my old F11 but decided against it due to the £200 cost and felt it was not worth it for a compromised system. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

On 3/25/2021 at 12:57 PM, BFleming said:

Out of curiosity, what instruments are you replacing? Been thinking about the 6WA for a little while myself... 6WB is a step too far (financially) for me.

Sorry mate, didn’t spot the question. I have a 6WA.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:53 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

I have added the emulator to my F10, works reasonably well.

Some speed limits inIreland are a little out-dated as they have changed in reality but the sat nav info must have old data. it’s a quick install though, and I think I just needed to add 8TH to VO and code HU and Kombi. I can share details on where I got it if you wanted.

So I completed this finally today!

First attempt went wrong somewhere, i reckon i actually accidentally deleted some options in the VO and when I coded the HU, the text disappeared even though it appeared to still work. In addition to that, no CAFD showed on the new kombi.

Fast forward and after downloading E-Sys 3.3 and 150GB of Psdzdata I tried again today and after I injected the CAFD and then done the usual VO Coding on HU and Kombi, everything worked fine.

One strange thing I notice is that the dash switched back to Miles from the Kilometers I had set it to. I think it done it when the car was switched off but has not happened since. I'll keep an eye on this one...

So a few days later and the units reset again today. It's strange. As far as I can tell, it's just the options options for distance(reset to miles), consumption(I use MPG anyway so I'm not sure if it changed) and power(reset from HP to KW).

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Or anyone have any ideas on how to remedy or troubleshoot further?

have a coder diagnose it remotely. I can put you in contact with somebody who is reasonably priced. All you need a laptop, WIFI and enet cable and teamviewer .