silestanix

Looking to come back into the BMW Fold...

Morning all. Had a drive in a work colleagues 1999 E46 330d saloon yesterday (never been in one), and for an older motor it still delivered the goods... He's getting an average of 45mpg on motorways runs and its been reliable bar usual M57 stuff. So I got home, had a look on the sale rags this morning and have seen a few, and one from Duncan on here which looks promising. 

It's gonna be an emotional affair going for from the old merc to a bmw... The Mercedes has spoilt me I can't lie, it's smooth and even now with 221k on the clock that 5 pot diesel still has superb power delivery, sounds amazing at full chat or just cruising in the lower revs with the torque doing its thing, and the car smoothes out the crap road surfaces we have to deal with. 

But, rust... Rust and rust. The engine and box are absolutely spot on, but I want something that, may not be showroom but won't take a lot to get into shape whereas mine will take new doors and wings. And with 221k I'm sure it'll do another 100k easily but, I do want another bmw. I did look around at 530d tourings but they're not much better than the merc on fuel whereas the E46 is a slightly lighter motor. 

Anyway, yes, fingers crossed really... Hopefully I'll be back. 

Hope you're all well. 

Harry. 

It'll never die this Merc... The body work will die and crumble long before the engine diff and box do.  I need something similar power but a bit better on fuel, 330d seems to fit the bill. I'm averaging 37-39mpg and that's mostly motorway cruising at 60-ish mph. I know the BMW will be at least over 40...

Its definitely a tough decision... 

38 minutes ago, mumbojumbo said:

Hi, welcome back. My inital thought would be to hang on to the Merc till something bad fails. Buying any E46 will be a risky proposition... 

No more risky than any other second hand purchase i would have thought.

Lol @mumbojumbo it's alright Clem I'm sure dunc didn't take offence haha. 

I've seen 3 today, one in person and 2 sellers have sent me pics and videos...  and 2 of those had dodgy injectors and one was idling funny and didn't sound right at all. I'll hit you up tomorrow dunc and we'll talk. The Mercedes is a bloody good car though, but I guess I just fancy a change, and least it'll be a change into somewhat familiar territory. 

What are the M57's like generally?

(Being low miles and being owned by Duncan I safely assume it'll be in good mechanical fettle, interior has been infanted so I know what to expect lol.) 

I did look at your ad Duncan when you first posted it up and thought it would make a nice car,i was tempted myself but already having the 530i Sport Touring thought one load lugger was enough.