Jallani

Remote Key Not Found warning

Hi - first time posting!  I have a F11 2013.  Whenever the engine is on and one of the doors are open then closed a warning appears along the lines of 'Remote key not found'.  They key is in the door so more than close enough and have changed the battery in the fob just in case.  The warning goes away if I cancel or after a few seconds and car remains on as normal.

I've tried holding the fob against the steering column antennae as a test but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?  Apologies if this has been posted before but couldn't easily locate the answer.

Thanks

Edited by Jallani

The key is in the door pocket? If so then that's too far away.

Mine won't start (key not found)  if I stand outside and lean in to the push button with my left leg on the brake pedal.  Key is in my right trouser pocket therefore outside the car.

Its a pain in the sit down bits when you want to start the car for defrosting or checking trailer lights without having to get in the car to only get immediately back out.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

The key is in the door pocket? If so then that's too far away.

Mine won't start (key not found)  if I stand outside and lean in to the push button with my left leg on the brake pedal.  Key is in my right trouser pocket therefore outside the car.

Its a pain in the sit down bits when you want to start the car for defrosting or checking trailer lights without having to get in the car to only get immediately back out.

Just reach in and put the key fob in its holder slot between the front two cup holders and go about your chores.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Thanks for the replies.  Not sure this is the same issue as I sit in the car and the key fob sits in the door handle rubber recess/pocket next to me so not dropped in the actual door pocket.  The car starts with the fob in this position without an issue but if someone opens any of the doors while the car is started the 'Remote not found' warning comes-up even though the key hasn't moved position from when the car was first started.

2 minutes ago, Jallani said:

Thanks for the replies.  Not sure this is the same issue as I sit in the car and the key fob sits in the door handle rubber recess/pocket next to me so not dropped in the actual door pocket.  The car starts with the fob in this position without an issue but if someone opens any of the doors while the car is started the 'Remote not found' warning comes-up even though the key hasn't moved position from when the car was first started.

It is possibly only just in range. Move the key to the centre console slot and see if you have the same issue. And work from there.

22 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Just reach in and put the key fob in its holder slot between the front two cup holders and go about your chores.

Yeah but I'll forget it's there when I got to lock it, now there's is no reason why the key should ever leave my pocket.

I am always very wary about where my car key is at all times since this happened to my first E60!

8 minutes ago, Jallani said:

That is a bit different what I first thought and odd.  Try Matthews suggestion first.

Could be as simple as the battery in the key fob is getting low and needs changing.  My wife has keyless entry on her Kuga and when the remote battery went it gave only one warning, similar to yours and then refused to work at all. Could have been big trouble if she was on the way to pick the littl'un up from nursery and she physically couldn't get to the nursery.  Fortunately she was at home and could use the othe key.

I think it's a range thing, the range quite quickly drops off about level with the door sills so it would work in the door and as soon as you open it, your out of range. 

Like similar posts above, it's a pain when you want to start the car and do other bits and not drive off. 

I know this thread a few years old but I am having the same issues. After almost 5 years of owning my 2010 f10 525d I am also getting the warning when my engine is running and passenger door opens. It's never happened before, the battery has been replaced. The fob is placed in the slot inbetween the 2 cup holders as always. I only have the one fob. How do I get another? 

Let's say fir arguments sake I have purchased one how much will it approximately cost to have  it programmed for my car? 

I have the 4 button remote 

Thanks in advance 

I had a 2013 F11 with the same issue.  Drove fine and no issues just the annoying warning that came up when the engine was running and any door was opened.  I replaced batteries in key fob, bought a second key one but didnt fix the issue.  I have access to a diagnostics tool and it doesnt show any codes or issues either.  BMW suggested replacing the antenna as a starting action (at my cost) but not guaranteed to fix the issue.  I read up and lots of suggestions like checking connections under centre console and rear radio antenna which is somehow connected.  In the end I left it and sold car with known dash warning but really needs an autoelectrician to save time and money.  Good luck 

I get this randomly every now and again and have to hold the key to the steering column (it normally lives in my pocket).

You don't have anything like a rear dashcam with wiring running near the area of the rear antenna do you? If I connect my rear camera then it does this every single time.

No dash cam and nothings changed in the car. Just randomly get that warning. Only happened a few times usually when passenger door opens. 

If I purchased a replacement fob will I able to do this to program the new one: 

4 hours ago, biggurs said:

No dash cam and nothings changed in the car. Just randomly get that warning. Only happened a few times usually when passenger door opens. 

If I purchased a replacement fob will I able to do this to program the new one: 

You’ll buy a replacement key from BMW which will be security programmed to your car. You may need to do as you see in the video as the final step in the activation. 

On 7/10/2017 at 1:18 PM, Jallani said:

Hi - first time posting!  I have a F11 2013.  Whenever the engine is on and one of the doors are open then closed a warning appears along the lines of 'Remote key not found'.  They key is in the door so more than close enough and have changed the battery in the fob just in case.  The warning goes away if I cancel or after a few seconds and car remains on as normal.

I've tried holding the fob against the steering column antennae as a test but doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?  Apologies if this has been posted before but couldn't easily locate the answer.

Thanks

Hi. Had same issue with my 2013 f10. When car is running and any door opend there was a gong on dash and warning key not found popped up on the screen. Our car has warranty and so went to bmw for a fix. They had to change/plug in antenna under centre console. That was the fix.