ROOTS.

1986 E28 M535i - Restoration

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to introduce myself and my latest addition to the family, Fünf (not the dog, that is Scooby-Douche), the Zinnobar Red E28 M535i I picked up last week.

I bought the car from another forum member (GCM535i) and have just left it in to get some work done whilst traveling for work in China - if anyone can recommend a good sprayer please let me know! 

No doubt I will need some parts, advice on upgrades and so on in the coming weeks so I look forward to hearing from you all. 

Cheers,

Ian

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

Edited by ROOTS.

So, whilst I'm in China with a lot of down time, ordering parts, ive asked Trevor Powley (TLC Fabrication) to give the E28 a good check over mechanically ahead of any painting.

Starting with an underfloor inspection, which looks ok & confirming what gearbox was in the car before I ordered a complete load of wrong bits! Found out it has a 260, not a 265/6 as I originally assumed, always worth a quick look!

First up is an oil leak coming from the distributor cap area, isn't leaking too bad but for a car that's getting some fancy new bits (and new paint!) it was worth sorting out.

Trev noticed a banjo bolt was missing from the oil spray bar and replaced nicely with a piece of twisted wire! The rear gearbox oil seal is weeping and the balance rubber (Guibo?) looks pretty tired too.

F1734F6F-D277-4A66-9705-D07BA1352AD7.thumb.JPG.fc021adb0b317267c63a2d1ca7bb1468.JPG

6A831CB9-D722-4082-B214-D1FC20DBBF73.thumb.JPG.1a657d5deea744ef582791c9cf47f364.JPG6B5617F9-A540-4B4C-B486-42D1093A55C4.thumb.JPG.21e999b6add6ae2e245e3bb9ec90ca25.JPG03D9A258-FFBA-4DD6-ADCD-5C2420E8EB99.thumb.JPG.8bfeba9080ac35d7f4ca1fd56a769e4b.JPG

B59A2F95-7364-42ED-8AA5-6C43373CDBA0.JPG

75B3CC89-7665-4187-AB9F-7AF5DDFCA862.JPG

FE882364-AD43-42C9-90D7-77811A221B1D.thumb.JPG.a4b6942220fff018705b136b09ecb32b.JPG

56983663-8F19-4D15-A9DA-A2C610467F61.JPG

Edited by ROOTS.
Added more pictures

23 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

Is that garden hose on your PAS pipe?!

Bloody hell, it would appear so!! :/

Can you please advise what the correct part is so I can remove the garden hose pipe immediately! Is it item No. 1?

IMG_1502.PNG

35 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Yes, its a hard pipe. tends to rust so perhaps thats why its been replaced?

Cheers, no idea but quite possibly so.

Either way it will be best removed (along with the fog horns) and replaced with a new hard pipe.

Edited by ROOTS.
Spelling

I had to replace mine as it was weeping though rust so expect thats what has happened here, i think its purpose is to cool the fluid by passing it behind the grille into the air flow.

Whilst the fluid is drained it makes sense to change the filter at the bottom of the PAS reservoir - its ATF by the way not PAS fluid.

9 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I had to replace mine as it was weeping though rust so expect thats what has happened here, i think its purpose is to cool the fluid by passing it behind the grille into the air flow.

Whilst the fluid is drained it makes sense to change the filter at the bottom of the PAS reservoir - its ATF by the way not PAS fluid.

Thanks Duncan, will certainly do that!

Maybe this isn't a big deal, but when looking at the RealOEM diagram for the filter cartridge, on two separate diagrams it listed two different filter cartridge part numbers. There isn't a major cost difference, curious if one is right / wrong or if it really matters!

Part numbers being;

Not sure there's much difference i don't suppose but id go with the one that matches the reservoir lid - knurled nut or plastic screw.

Welcome to the forum, a great thread so far.

I've become rather fond of E28s in the last year or so.

As the car will also start getting upgraded in the near future, and reading that the original Anti Roll bar mounts are rubbish, Limited Slip Engineering (Aaron) sorted me out with a new set of weld-in reinforced mounts & matched the bushings (27mm Front & 22mm Rear. I will be fitting the UUC Motorwerks adjustable bars and drop links to suit.

will post pics when the mounts arrive & fitted, thought it was worth doing now since the car is with the body shop and will save revisiting.

20 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Have a fillet/ gusset welded on to the strut ARB link support too - sheared mine a couple of times on track days.

Noted, will do. Thanks! 

So, Trevor just said there is some play in the rear prop UJ which may be causing a vibration?

He's replacing the front Guibo and rear gearbox seal and is afraid a rear driveshaft vibration may destroy the new seal in no time. 

He's struggling to find the UJ part number so can anyone help? Is it a case of changing rear prop section or having it cut off and fitting new/balance! Surely not?

Hes got to remove the driveshaft today anyway to change the rear gearbox seal so he's asked me to investigate before making a call on what to do next.

Edited by ROOTS.
More details

6 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

If there is wear the. It's either replace or rebuild id say. Not sure it's a common issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From experience, do you know if the rear driveshaft section differs from each E28 model?

Understand the front is different depending on gearbox, but is the diff end the same if i pick up a good used one from a 525 or similar.

41 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Not sure to be honest.

No worries, I was on the fence about a used rear section as there's no guarantee the UJ won't have some play, so I decided it's going to be left into a driveshaft shop instead.

New centre bearing & support mount being ordered whilst it's off, which of course, has two different mounts listed so need to make sure I get the right one for my car! 

Logic is sound but these are getting on in years so if the oe bit can be refreshed it must be the sensible option.

Ok, I've been quite busy gathering up my bits and pieces for this whilst in China and upon my return.

I now have quite a collection of BMW parts from Cotswolds in my hallway and starting to get anxious with how my dog is taking a fancy to some of the 'chewy' pieces - boot seals, windscreen rubbers and all those expensive pieces that would make for some great chewing!! :)

Anyway, all my gearshift pieces have arrived including a Z3 shifter + i decided to buy the 'Garagistic' rear shifter arm bracket with poly bush. This was ordered along with their 6x braided brake and clutch line, poly transmission bushing and brass guides & slider pins for the E34 M5 ATE calipers I just picked up. Also decided to get a brand new E32 master cylinder and finished off with brand new EBC discs and yellowstuff pads.

Dave Pepin on Mye28 does a brake pedal reinforced bracket for small money with (from what ive read anyway) lots of positive feedback so bought one from him too. First one sent to UK shores too apparently, heres the link - http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103670

The old girl should shift nicely & stop quite well after all this.

Ive also started picking up suspension parts to tighten up and improve the handling, with so many aftermarket bits available, I've tried to chip away at this so everything can come together relatively soon. Some of the bits include;

MWRENCH steering box reinforced mount - http://www.mwrench.com/download/steeringfix.pdf

I believe these fail regularly and also contribute to bad steering wheel feedback, for the price of the mount and ease of fitting, it was a no brainer!

Limited Slip Engineering reinforced sway bar mounts - http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=128272

UUC Sway bars will then mount up to these without worry of snapping mounts, i hope - 

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/swaybar-set-for-1986-1991-e28-m5-and-e24-m6-p1419.aspx

MOOSEHEAD Engineering upper and lower control arms with spherical bearings - http://mooseheadengineering.com/#!/Suspension/c/1401065/offset=0&sort=normal

Final thing (for now) will be choosing lowering springs with Bilstein dampers or going to coilovers, still undecided about this...

I wont be going near the engine until the chassis is 100% to my liking, other than the bolt on stuff like final drive, Fritz Exhaust and K&N panel filter, I think I have enough on my plate getting the car looking and driving how i want.

Edited by ROOTS.