ROOTS.

1986 E28 M535i - Restoration

17 minutes ago, Splondike said:

Just seen this... welcome along :)  Sounds like you are focussing on the all the right stuff.

Thanks! :)

Absolutely love your car btw, found it during many searches on here and the color / wheel combo is perfect. 

Im chipping away at the "key" bits in general, tried to stay away from engine mods for now to get the car stopping, turning & looking like something that deserves to go faster! :)

Please offer up any feedback on here when you can, advice from other E28 owners is very much appreciated.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, ROOTS. said:

Trev noticed a banjo bolt was missing from the oil spray bar and replaced nicely with a piece of twisted wire!

Bloody hell. A common fault on these M30 motors, with some pretty damaging consequences if left unchecked. The dealers still stock replacements that are pre-coated with Loctite and they cost buttons. A nice easy fix :)

Glad you went for it in the end Ian, it looks like its gone to a good home. Get stuck in and good luck with the project !

On 03/08/2017 at 10:13 AM, hippie dave said:

Bloody hell. A common fault on these M30 motors, with some pretty damaging consequences if left unchecked. The dealers still stock replacements that are pre-coated with Loctite and they cost buttons. A nice easy fix :)

Glad you went for it in the end Ian, it looks like its gone to a good home. Get stuck in and good luck with the project !

Thanks Dave, will give you a shout when i(finally) get it back!

Turns out the oil spray bar bolts were tapped to accept a wire throughout, actually stopping them from coming loose at all.

Update time, no E28 pictures though I'm afraid.

Carrying on from where i left off, it turned out one of the front struts was badly rotten. Rather than replacing with another original and lowering springs / dampers, treated the old girl to a new set of coil-overs with 10kg F / 8kg R springs instead. Thanks to Duncan/Tims for sourcing replacement struts from an E34 to chop-up - I now have two E28 struts that would make perfect coil-over conversion candidates if anyone is looking. Actually, the driver side is like brand new, passenger one however (as per pic) is game-over.

IMG_0427.thumb.JPG.f8c4e8168dbd020583d715e761ad958e.JPG

The car is looking like brand-new under the wheel arches with new coilovers, brake discs, calipers, braided brake lines and spherical outer-track rod ends. Altogether, this should really help tighten up the steering feel, particularly with the 'Moosehead' spherical upper arm bush too! :)

Rear subframe & trailing arm bushings were replaced with Powerflex 'black' and also got the new brake / suspension treatment too.

Other than waiting for the bigger anti-roll bars to arrive, I don't think there is anything else that could be changed to tighten it up!

On the other hand, had a bit of a nightmare (entirely my own fault!) with replacing the diff!

Was desperately looking to change the original big case S3.07 to something a lot shorter, had my heart set on a S3.91 or S4.10 medium case from an E30. I managed to find a S3.91 and had it delivered straight to Trevor who still has the car.

Then the call came; "this diff doesn't fit!".

Long story short, i bought a bloody S3.91 SMALL CASE. Adding insult to injury I already agreed to sell the big case S3.07 and the guy was en route to collect.

IMG_0834.thumb.JPG.e406ba5d874aa311a75255778a5454cd.JPG

IMG_0835.thumb.JPG.d14d43b3e1bf23df1efeef8479c29819.JPG

Its incredible how quickly you can source a replacement when your car is a non-runner thanks to a stupid error in judgement!!

All sorted now, medium case S3.91 fitted. Happy.

Beginning to get impatient about the paint job still on the 'to-do' list, no more upgrades or shiny bits to be bought until its painted and returned to me. If anyone has a painter in the Banbury / Brackley location, please point them my way!

That being said, I persuaded my partner to change her car recently which probably hasn't help my motivation for the E28 to be fair.... 

IMG_0681.JPG

Edited by ROOTS.

19 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Sounds like it will driver very well after all that work. I liked my b8 shocks and h&r springs. Porsche or e28? No contest 8)

Speaking of H&R, just ordered some for the 996! 

It already has a full stainless Dansk, manifolds and a K&N so it sounds awesome! E28 has big boots to fill! :)

13 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

Which brand of coilovers did you get?

Reluctantly, I went with BC with my own spring rates & Eibach springs. 

The price worked out close to GAZ but the fact that I got them within a week helped. GAZ told me 8 - 16 weeks turnaround when I enquired, quite a difference. In the end, the dealer I was referred too went on holiday for 3 weeks and GAZ refused to take the struts directly from me... they needed to go via their dealer!! Sorry, but they lost a customer because of this.

If the BC’s are junk for whatever reason, I’ll change them but can’t be any worse than what I took off the car!

2 hours ago, ROOTS. said:

Speaking of H&R, just ordered some for the 996! 

It already has a full stainless Dansk, manifolds and a K&N so it sounds awesome! E28 has big boots to fill! :)

Different kettle of fish. 911 is clearly 'better' but a sorted e28 is a fine thing and probably more fun in the real world. 

Its been a very long time since updating this but the following few pictures will explain the majority of the recent work - RUST REMOVAL.

Dropped the fuel tank & exhaust today to fit the reinforced anti-roll bar brackets & noticed the filler neck was rotten + the exhaust really annoyed me and needed replacing sooner or later. Bought a brand-new 70L tank, Fritz Bits Manifold & Stainless system today. Expensive afternoon! :)

4F3FEDC2-1091-4590-A1FB-85AB4DF8DE62.thumb.JPG.0820fe4d0561723bdb5be699a07356ff.JPG

690E7DF9-AEB9-4B95-ADC4-A77B519C623A.thumb.JPG.5843ae40ac8ab2eaa26fff880e70a858.JPG

BA39942A-26B6-4B79-8EF5-CA5C2790DF23.thumb.JPG.8a479653c15d0896eae881f7ae8fbbe1.JPG

The passenger side strut top had a metal plate welded in then covered over with a load of fillers hiding a nice rot pit. Good work previous owner! :angry:

8464B0AB-A835-4BC1-A01A-5DCC18AB0863.thumb.JPG.5c5c8fb065204b9a033de1bf5d67e111.JPG

All gone now and one step closer to repainting! B)

EFA855F1-3498-4348-985E-375B29BBEE29.thumb.JPG.d2c410435115045e212afe165be26d61.JPG

I bought two replacement (3 actually from a surprise eBay auction!) doors, 2x brand new wings so fingers crossed it will be rolling in for paint by the end of the month!

Edited by ROOTS.

More new parts arrived last week:

- New Fuel Tank

- Fritz Bits 6 branch and System

- E39 M5 Battery Box

- E30 Battery Relocation Cable

- 2x New Wings

Edited by ROOTS.

Happy new year everyone! 

Forgot to update this in ages.... in fact two years!!! 

Progress has been slower than expected but good things to those who wait as they say....

Lots more images to come.

Ian

PHOTO-2019-05-23-15-32-38.jpg

PHOTO-2019-05-23-15-32-39 (2).jpg

PHOTO-2019-05-23-15-32-39.jpg

PHOTO-2019-05-23-15-32-42 (1).jpg

PHOTO-2019-05-23-15-32-42.jpg

PHOTO-2019-05-23-15-32-44 (1).jpg

PHOTO-2019-05-23-15-32-57 (2).jpg

430c4f5e-a8ea-435a-b247-bda0ee829f60.JPG

0ff338c4-d343-4f0c-8ca1-6b2fc43dcfe0.JPG

383332a5-fb2b-4106-81a2-a097d9716579.JPG

Edited by ROOTS.

M30 head (not pictured) in its final stages at Lestor Owens having quite a bit of work done including port matching to the RHD Engineering ITB kit and Alunox Exhaust flanges.

Alunox are making a custom high rise equal length manifold when finished - the Fritz 6 branch will then be for sale.

- Emerald K6 ECU to run the electronics and fueling

- Dbilas 290 degree camshaft + retainers and double valve springs

- Metric Mechanic Dual Spray Oil Bar

- Bosch EV6 315cc injectors

- Nuke Performance Fuel Rail

- Webcon Adjustable Fuel Regulator

- Motorsport (in tank) Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter

- Cam Senor Plate w/ oil pressure adaptor

- VAC Motorsport adjustable cam gear

- Ireland Engineering Rocker lock set, new rocker shafts, lash caps & collect set

- Ireland Engineering Lightweight Alternator Pulley

- KM Cams steel rocker arms

- Ireland Engineering Mechanical Timing Chain Tensioner & Guide

- Hardeman Motorsport M30 anti-surge oil pan

- 3.8kg Flywheel, ARP bolts & E28 M5 Sachs clutch

IMG20180218172039.jpg

IMG20180218171615.jpg

Edited by ROOTS.

Engine sounds interesting - how did you arrive at the spec?

Interesting you are binning the FB manifold - i felt the did nothing for power on mine.

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Engine sounds interesting - how did you arrive at the spec?

Interesting you are binning the FB manifold - i felt the did nothing for power on mine.

Could have went S38/S54 but wanted to retain some originality - speaking to others that have tuned M30's but ultimately it was Huw Taylor from Lester Owen that's building it so he had 'last say' so to speak on spec.

When looking at the Fritz to the Alunox it was advised to work off the larger size as a base. It also means i can send the exact flanges back to Alunox in 1-6 sequence that are matched to the new head on the car. PiersM5 introduced me Alunox, i believe they did a great job on his M30 (previously had a Fritz) and said it was a work of art!

Loving what you are doing Ian.  I had a chat with Piers about his M30 work and he was very happy with Lester Owen and Alunox. Those guys really do nice work.