jake13

E61 Rear Axle Bushing

I want to replace the swing arm bushing (#1) and the ball joint (#4) on the rear axle. Can anyone recommend a kit for removal & installation? I have seen some on fleabay which look pretty low quality. Also, I haven't come across a tool for the subframe bush specifically for the E61.

Dpooxw9

When i've changed bushes in the past, I torched out the old rubbers and cut the out metal to remove the bush then used a vice/hammer to knock the new ones in

Having done this myself recenty..  for the inner bushings on part #1 ,the torch out method worries me, being as the parts are cast aluminium of unknown alloy I didnt want to risk the tempering.. so i struggled with the drill and chisel the rubber  method (awful job). I bought genuine bushings from lemforder, and joy of joys they are expansion bushings, so come with a split in them like a pacman and 5mm too big for the hole.. they need compressing back to a circle and then pressing in.. was a real shit of a job.. what worked in the end was using jubilee clips to draw the diameter down and close the slit, then press them into the arm with a vice (didnt fit in the press) the jubilee clip acting a bit like a pistonring compressor. 

I managed one bush.. and decided to leave it, throw away the lemforder bushings and use powerflex polyurethane bushings as they are a simple press fit!

The special joint #4.. i bought this tool, very nicely made. 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121991489422

I had a look at that and also BMW 5 E60 E61 6 E63 X5 REAR CONTROL ARM WISHBONE BUSH REMOVAL INSTALL TOOL SET the threaded bar looks flimsy and probably could use a large c-clamp instead.  In the end I bought a 'univeral' kit with various size 'cups' (awaiting delivery). The Lemforder products are not all that, the interlink (#5) is made in china and the 'pac-man' & ball joint (#4) are made in Germany, the other bush is made in Poland.

Edited by jake13

The Alfa tool is really nicely made, the threads are very well formed and hard as hell.. metal file barely touches them, there is also a proper thrust bearing to reduce friction. A g clamp is forced open by the pressure, the 'threaded central rod type helps hold all parts in line, preventing the bushing from canting over while compressing/extracting.

The lemforder bushings are original BMW oem from my research, and quite cheap and pretty much the only place I could find them. the integral link, i went for Meyle as a good one stop half decent shop.
you are welcome to my lemforder bushings unless you are stumping for polyflex.

ohh, and i pretty much stuggled with a 3 foot bar on a machine shop vice for insertion.. i think a g clamp would need a miracle. 

Edited by Skullface

ive replaced bush 4 a couple times on mine now. just using a £35 tool off ebay. the cups are fine but ive had to replace the threaded bar once as the threads got a little sticky.

the lower arm bushes I just gave to a garage to press in and out, £20 to save the hassle

only thing I struggled with is putting the arm back into place, not easiest of things to do on your driveway single handed as you need to wrestle hub and arm with some tension on it

Ah Damn, I didn't see that kit when I ordered, but it's the same company , same bush puller but extra heads for the rest of the bushes.. 

I wish I could exchange it and get the bigger version!

The bush removal was PITA, had to saw off the outer sleeve and knock it out with a chisel. I did use jubilee clip to compress the bush as suggested by @skullface. I had access to 10T press, even then it was a sh***y job to get it all square. The rear front bush (pacman) which is the bigger of the two was the easiest to press in. Enough said about the other the better (f*&!$£"). The cups are good but the tool is pretty poor for ball joint (#4) removal. I should have bought the other tool or a large C-Clamp. Updates to follow.............

I used a ramp and was pressed for time so didn't take any pictures. Vehicles with pano roof have reinforcement bars / struts which get in the way. Nevertheless, removing the swing arm wasn't that difficult.