iiNNeX

Angel Eye questions

Hello guys,

So I have bought some LED angel eyes (80W per bulb) from a UK based seller on Ebay. He assured me that these are the brightest he has and I opted for the Cob kit over the Cree as it was £10 less and they both come with 1 year warranty.

8ZVhMaKh.jpg?1

Installation was pretty straight forward if you have tiny hands (I don't so a few scratches and loads of swearing later they were in :D). That said, I now have 2 problems.

1. Cannot close the plastic lid - This is because I can't seem to be able to fit all of the cabling, resistor and ballast these came with, inside the headlamp unit? My car has LCI Adaptive Xenons and this is what the cabling currently looks like:

lo3XlcZh.jpg

And here are the caps that need to go in along with the old bulbs that I took out (which btw don't seem to be genuine?)

HsIx9RUh.jpg

2. And my second issue is brightness... now I know this has been discussed a lot and on LCI Xenons the inner circle will always be brighter than the outer, and that is fine. However seeing as mine has the DRL option turned on, they are a lot brighter when that is on than when the sidelights/dipped beams are on. After some research this seems to be due to the light control module sending out lower voltage (4.3V ish) when not used as DRLs and sending 12V when they are. Now from my understanding the only way to change that is to code the car correct?

GcpsGhxh.jpg

As you can see they are brighter than the old ones, but only in DRL mode. Otherwise it's a joke...

XJEDCJfh.jpg

41 minutes ago, BMW.Enthusiatic said:

Same here :) I have LUX V4 and the exact same thing happened to me. Just left it open for over a year now.

That sucks man, I'd rather put my old bulbs back in than leave it open and let potential moisture/water/dirt get into the headlamp.

I could probably cram it all in there if I really tried, but surely that can't be a solution?

Another thing I can think of, is cut a small hole on the cap and put a rubber grommet, then feed the stuff through there. After the lid is shut, I can just silicone it in place so it doesn't let any moisture in? Bit of a pain if I ever try changing them again though...

17 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

That sucks man, I'd rather put my old bulbs back in than leave it open and let potential moisture/water/dirt get into the headlamp.

I could probably cram it all in there if I really tried, but surely that can't be a solution?

Another thing I can think of, is cut a small hole on the cap and put a rubber grommet, then feed the stuff through there. After the lid is shut, I can just silicone it in place so it doesn't let any moisture in? Bit of a pain if I ever try changing them again though...

Yep, you're right but it is what it is. To be honest, it's been over a year since I had mine like that, never had an issue, water getting there or anything else. Take it to car wash and insisting with the turbo jet around the bonnet and headlight, when you check it's completely dry. :) Up to you but wouldn't bother

A friend has done something similar to @BMW.Enthusiatic and also hasn't had any issues to date. I have had a hole cut into my headlight cap for my HID kit but haven't filled the hole with anything and also haven't had any problems. The ballasts to my angels and ballasts for my High beams are unfortunately stuffed in and cap shut so if you find a decent solution do let us know!

It is quite annoying though.

By the way, the brighter angels, yes it'll be via coding :) 

@525-Jay the option via coding is just for the genuine ones, possibly for the Chinese versions too. However, LUX doesn't change the brightness at all, would be very bright all the time, regardless of headlight position (on, off, DRL etc) :)

Edited by BMW.Enthusiatic

@525-Jay the option via coding is just for the genuine ones, possibly for the Chinese versions too. However, LUX doesn't change the brightness at all, would be very bright all the time, regardless of headlight position (on, off, DRL etc) 

Mine change as i swap from DRL mode to sidelights, so it would benefit me greatly.

2 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Mine change as i swap from DRL mode to sidelights, so it would benefit me greatly.

As far as i do remember, there is only one line which needs to be changed in LMA module, for DRL to stay bright all time :)

3 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

Totally agree… this is a crappy pic in the sunlight and its still superbright.

IMG_6063.JPG

Looks really good! How much damage did your pocket take for it?

@problemchild BAUS set-up works only with halogen lamp, unless he developed the xenon set-up as well. I wanted to get that too before my LUX V4 but those weren't working for xenon headlamp, please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Edited by BMW.Enthusiatic

After driving a few days with the led's on, ive had enough. The only thing you can see is the inner circle, the other one is only visible when its like pitch black and in drl mode... the inner one is ridiculously bright tho not sure why the light isn't transferring over :/ yellows are a lot more visible and warmer to the eye during the day, so they are going back on till i can figure out the issue...

16 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

After driving a few days with the led's on, ive had enough. The only thing you can see is the inner circle, the other one is only visible when its like pitch black and in drl mode... the inner one is ridiculously bright tho not sure why the light isn't transferring over :/ yellows are a lot more visible and warmer to the eye during the day, so they are going back on till i can figure out the issue...

I think that's a generic issue with the Xenon headlights, inners are so much brighter. The halogens headlamps are equal between the two rings but are not as bright as your ones. Hopefully you find someone to code the car so the DRL brightness stays all the time.

48 minutes ago, 525-Jay said:

I think that's a generic issue with the Xenon headlights, inners are so much brighter. The halogens headlamps are equal between the two rings but are not as bright as your ones. Hopefully you find someone to code the car so the DRL brightness stays all the time.

That was with DRL mate, let alone on side lights... The inner one is extremely bright though to the point where even in direct sunlight it is giving out an amazing light output (really shows how powerful these 80W LED Cob bulbs are). However the one around the xenon is just dull, like it's not even there. Not sure why BMW decided this was a good idea. I would of preferred 2 bulbs per headlamp, 1 for each ring. The brightness would then match or be even stronger than the brand new beemers with their LED AEs which I deem blinding in the afternoon hours...

The voltage only seems to increase the inner circle. I wonder if I can mod these somehow, I really don't want to remove my lights for halogen LCI just because of some angel eyes...

On May 22, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Mo_1986 said:

Totally agree… this is a crappy pic in the sunlight and its still superbright.

IMG_6063.JPG

Where can you get these from mate?