Andrew S

530D Jealousy

I am very jealous of you petrol engined 530's and would love to make my 530D quieter :)

Presume no-one had added sound proofing or padding to their under tray to absorb some of the noise

Love the economy but after always having owned the petrol versions, still trying to get used to the lets call it, the frequency

Yeah I find my 530D astonishingly unrefined at anything other than motorway cruising speeds.

I think it's down to the injectors as if coasting at low speeds the noise is reduced somewhat but any application of the throttle makes it sound like a clattery old taxi again.

Ho hum. At least 44MPG on a run goes some way to making up for it. 

Coincidentally, I was thinking about the noise of my car the other day; not that it was loud, but quite the opposite.

I'll agree that, at idle, it's more intrusive than a petrol engine, but, at the time of my thought, I was doing not very fast on a steady throttle down a smooth road: all I could hear was road noise.

With all the rumblings about the future of diesel, I've been looking at replacing it. At times like those mentioned above, or when I'm doing decent motorway speeds and getting decent mpg, and I'm practically falling asleep because the car is so easy to drive, I wonder what I *can* replace it with.

Well in the case of mine, it's done over 200K.. but the noisiness isn't classic noisiness like one would get from a clapped out petrol motor (like bottom or top end knock) - it does specifically seem to be under certain conditions.. so, it's not just "knackered" - I think there's specific elements which may be knackered or not right but I think the motor generally is pretty good. 

Some are quieter than others, I have had a Lexus owner and Audi TDi owner in mine who were both surprised mine was a diesel whereas there is no mistaking the fact my mates 535d is a diesel. Maybe the brand of oil or how it was run in has something to do with it.

To be totally fair I haven't really compared to other big engined diesels. Mine has had full service history and oil changed twice a year. I think mine is quite close to a Range Rover diesel sound but my problem is comparing to always owning petrol bigger engines.

1 hour ago, Andrew S said:

To be totally fair I haven't really compared to other big engined diesels. Mine has had full service history and oil changed twice a year. I think mine is quite close to a Range Rover diesel sound but my problem is comparing to always owning petrol bigger engines.

Funny that ;)!   

Seriously though, I found my old e46 330d very 'diesel-ly' and unrefined until the revs were over about 2k rpm, my mate had an e90 330d and replaced it with an e92 325d and they seemed to be the same. And it may only be a four pot but I drove my bosses brand new 420d a few weeks ago and it didn't seem any quieter or refined than my other mates e90 320d with 120k miles.

1 hour ago, ALPINA5 said:

Some are quieter than others, I have had a Lexus owner and Audi TDi owner in mine who were both surprised mine was a diesel whereas there is no mistaking the fact my mates 535d is a diesel. Maybe the brand of oil or how it was run in has something to do with it.

VAG diesels sound rough as f*ck, my sister's got a 2.0 tdi Seat Leon that sounds like a bag spanners but runs beautifully! The older 1.9 PD's whilst considered good engines sound even worse, proper tractor noise!:D

So, understanding now that I cant make the engine any quieter and its as it should be, has anyone tried lining the engine under tray with any sound deadening? The bonnet pad does a great job and so got me thinking that it could absorb some of the sound bouncing of the ground / tray? 

Any thoughts or attempts by anyone? 

Cheers

Andrew

On 2017-5-19 at 0:22 PM, Andrew S said:

The car is very quiet as soon as over 1500 revs and as commented, very quiet when on the move. Consumption is fantastic so it sort of compensates. 

For my other drive, a nice  3litre V8 petrol is completely different :)

DSC_3488v6.jpg

Buy any extremely slim chance, does the reg end 155K?

My 535d is really quiet... like I was seriously surprised when I first got in it, as I was comparing it to the smoothness of my E46 M3. 

Then again that will probably change once my Stage 3 parts are all here and the DPF goes out the window :D

On 2017-5-23 at 7:01 AM, Andrew S said:

Not this one but did you have one?

No, but is identical to that of a mate's back in '82 ish.

EVA 155K

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, Loadmaster said:

No, but is identical to that of a mate's back in '82 ish.

EVA 155K

Looking at the DVLA site, doesn't look as though its still around :(

9 hours ago, Andrew S said:

Looking at the DVLA site, doesn't look as though its still around :(

That's a shame.

Edited by Loadmaster

The newer F10 520d is still 'unrefined' no matter what people say they are quite noisey for a prestige or upper end car.  Then again, I've constantly walked by alot of 520d's and 530d's most do sound same 'noisey. 

Audi and Merc are just the same.  Been in the latest c250 or 220d whatever it is and that wasnt quiet either and was again unrefined.  Build quality nowhere near the Bmw's.  

The 530d is alot more smoother than the 4pot 20d's and feels better with the extra weight of it too.

Update

Just in case anyone is interested, I removed the under tray on my 530D and lined it will 2 layers of sound proofing and what a difference it has made, so much quieter and all in 1 hours work and £22 ;) 

Yes, you know its a diesel but when going past other cars or a wall when driving 90% + of the mechanical clatter has gone. See photo

Cheers

Andrew

2017-06-23 19.45.46.jpg