kjb1

Cat C cars

Spiders look great on all 2000 era BMW's. I think I only paid about that for mine which fitted perfectly on the E46. The guy I got them from bought them for his E90 but the offsets weren't anywhere near ideal. If I could find some for my E92 I'd definitely have them. e574db156541d9070f237ed06a465ed6.jpg

A cat C Is the same as the new category S now, meaning structural damage, I have repaired many damaged cars over the years and if I intended to buy a.Cat C I would be looking at the chassis very closely for chassis twists and wheel base measurements which is very easy to check by putting a measuring tape from outside rim rear to outside rim front through the rim centre on both sides of the vehicle these measurements should the same give or take 5mm, also all gaps around the vehicle including wheel arch to top of wheel.

£3250 doesn't seem cheap enough when a quick ebay search shows £3500 gets a non - cat C

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-BMW-Z4-3-0-roadster-convertible-107-000-miles-manual-blue/274747560976?hash=item3ff83b1410:g:PSQAAOSwDjZgWOqP

My issue is always wanting to know why it was cat c and also the quality of the repair - my understanding is that it means its repairable but has had structural damage.

My e28 was give a cat C but i wouldn't have wanted to repair it!

Cat d is less worrying as its usually economic so you take a view on the age of the car and what the damage was and how cheap it is.

But for a car like the Z4 they're not rare so i'd be tempted to pass even though it may be spot on in all other respects.

There was a very nice F11 535i touring on ebay recently listed as cat N but seller couldn't tell me why - thought it was because the engine had been damaged -but no evidence to back that up.

it sold and a dealer had it up - he told me it was minor front wing damage.....

It may have been spot on but the questions put you right off.

Thanks for the advice, I've found the general consensus is to avoid, but kjb1 seemed happy when he bought it previously (albeit for a cheaper pice). Have been trying to contact him to pick his brain, as he would likely know the car better than anyone, but no luck so far. I know they would take £3,000 but I'm guessing it would have to be cheaper still to be worth a punt in your eyes.

OP sent a picture of the damage at the beginning of the thread but unfortunately it no longer displays, if only I could get hold of him! 

For me it's the right spec, colour and automatic, just passed its MOT and has a few mods that I intended to do anyway which would have set me back a few hundred. Otherwise I wouldn't have taken a second look. Maybe I'm being too optimistic!

Edited by skmattwell

It may well be spot on and a good car at a decent price but it will always have the Cat C hanging over it so when you came to sell you would be in the same boat.

The last four cars I bought for my Mrs were write offs. Three were Cat Cs under three years of age and one, the latest one is a Cat N (used to be Cat D) but is six years old. All of these were under 40k miles and some as low as 1k miles. None of them had any other structural damage than a bent front bumper support. They needed wing or two, bonnets, head lights, some needed rads. One needed just a wing and a headlamp (obv the Cat N). I kept all of them for two or more years. Depending on the car I did between 10 and 30k miles in that time. I had them tracked after each repair, they came up perfectly straight, no unusual tyre wear etc. Always got close to 100% of my money back what I see as a great result. Yes 8/10 people will turn their noses on these but if you have a good add, good maintenance history and if you have kept it for long enough after the repair - it will sell. I normally list my cars at -20% price level of a non Cat vehicle. Sites like Copart can be a good source but here you are on your own. Good sellers on ebay with good feedback will give you a little more peace of mind but prices will/may be higher.   

When we (we ;-) bought our first salvage, my Mrs, she was more than a little apprehensive. Negative or scarred would be more adequate words to describe how she felt about it. Now days she sends me pictures /links of salvaged cars with assessment of parts that would be needed to repair them. This is how much the situation changed.

This does not mean you should not be careful when buying a salvage. If you are careful you can get a good car at a good price (maybe a great car at a great price). 

To me its all about having a reliable new-ish car that will not cost anything stupid (£'000) a month and will not depreciate like crazy. 

In this case as Duncan mentioned "£3250 doesn't seem cheap enough when a quick ebay search shows £3500 gets a non - cat C". Up to Sub 3k would seem the right spot for me. 3k if the condition/mileage was exceptional.  

I  bought my first one in 1993, a 1990 H plate Alfa 75 Twin Spark. This was before Cat ABCD but was still recorded. It was an easy front corner repair and the car was a half price. I took it to a place called Autolign near N'hampton who inspected it, passed and then told me it was unrecorded anyway. FFS! :lol:

Copart is increasingly a waste of time now. Prices are mental and their fees extortion. 

The post is 4 years old, I wonder how he got on with it, has he still got the car even. Would a cat C put me off a purchase, Yes, why get a car that has been subject to substantial damage in a collision, when there are plenty of non crashed cars out there, you can replace a wing, but shock waves would have gone through the whole structure.

He hasn't got it any longer as it is for sale by someone else. I am having a look at it tomorrow. This is apparently the damage that caused the Cat C, although I'm a little confused as I thought those rims were put on after the previous buyer purchased it.

Unfortunately no option to contact the previous owner other than PM, but he hasn't been active since 2019

968951117_WhatsAppImage2021-04-07at2_58_33PM.thumb.jpeg.18a00fdfbd5e1456d20c25642bcfe49f.jpeg

Edited by skmattwell

21 hours ago, skmattwell said:

He hasn't got it any longer as it is for sale by someone else. I am having a look at it tomorrow. This is apparently the damage that caused the Cat C, although I'm a little confused as I thought those rims were put on after the previous buyer purchased it.

Unfortunately no option to contact the previous owner other than PM, but he hasn't been active since 2019

968951117_WhatsAppImage2021-04-07at2_58_33PM.thumb.jpeg.18a00fdfbd5e1456d20c25642bcfe49f.jpeg

As these seem to be the same wheels and tyres that the OP bought after buying the car I would presume this has been the second time this has been damaged. This in its own right is not a massive problem but if you add everything up... it just doesn't add up. Two shunts, 11 owners and too high of a price for Cat C. Walk away.