I need to replace my windscreen wipers or wiper rubber. Easiest thing to do would be to order a set of Bosch super plus sp26/22b (£22) or get a set of BMW wiper blades from the stealer for a staggering £50 (was £32 last time!) I read that one of the Bosch wipers is slightly shorter than the factory wiper. Is this an issue when it comes to using them? 650mm = 25.6" and 550mm = 21.6". I measured my wiper blades and they are 25.25" and 22.25", so the driver side wiper sounds slightly undersized. I was looking into using replacement rubber, and BMW part no. 61618217711 is £9.46 per side, whereas I could get some wiper rubber elsewhere (wiperblades) for £4 plus postage. Either would involve cutting them to the correct size, including the BMW ones. Is the BMW one likely to be better in any way? If not, then getting some 3rd party rubber would be the cheapest way to go.

Also the wiper arm bases are heavily faded to grey now, to a lesser extent also the wiper arm spoilers, wiper arms and the wiper blade assemblies themselves. Anyone repainted or restored theirs? I have some Turtle Wax Black Rubber and Trim liquid but not sure that would work on the metal parts. Obviously if I replaced everything it would be optimal but it would be around £200.

Any input is appreciated. Cheers!

Edited by PliSsK

Re your fading wiper arms,I use Autoglym bumper & trim gel which seems to do the trick,i also use it on my roof bars and door mirror black trim and it keeps it darkened for quite a while,

As for the blades my last set were ordered through a local motor factor,pretty sure they were Bosch and not had any negative issues.

GoodRain wipers via eBay, or the Continental ones - both are very good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301948940719?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281308320788?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Re wiper arms; did mine the other day. Couldn't get them off as they're stuck fast (even after liberal amounts of WD40)! But covered the windscreen with paper and taped it on, the rest of the front of the car and front doors with old bed sheets and sanded down the wiper arms, primered them and sprayed them with Halfrauds Satin Black rattle can; they look like brand new! An hours job, if that really ;) 

Got some yesterday via Euro parts in Notts....(via UK hotdeals)....£19.....I chose to fit them there and then at the shop and boy lucky I did!!!

I opened the box and couldn't believe what I saw!!!

A pair of rusty/scraped/dirty/and well worn pair of wipers....worse than the ones I had on my car!!!!!!!

I was speechless.....I went straight back to the shop and chaps behind the counter were gobsmacked too!!!!

Luckily they had one pair left in stock(Bosch)...I checked the contents and yes they were brand new indeed!!!

But how the hell did these obviously used wipers get into a new box and being sold off as new by the company???

If I hadn't checked and fitted them there and then...I would have had a 5 mile round trip to contend with and no doubt they might not of believed me once I had brought the items (wipers back)!!!??

Very odd experience...so always you make sure to check the contents of what you have bought guys b4 driving off!!

15 hours ago, stevecvo said:

Has anyone tried the Good Rain wipers mentioned above?

A lot of us have; they're very good and recommended 

Thanks for that. They look an interesting alternative to the Bosch or Valeo that I have used to date

On 2017-5-1 at 11:14 AM, norightsock said:

Got some yesterday via Euro parts in Notts....(via UK hotdeals)....£19.....I chose to fit them there and then at the shop and boy lucky I did!!!

I opened the box and couldn't believe what I saw!!!

A pair of rusty/scraped/dirty/and well worn pair of wipers....worse than the ones I had on my car!!!!!!!

I was speechless.....I went straight back to the shop and chaps behind the counter were gobsmacked too!!!!

Luckily they had one pair left in stock(Bosch)...I checked the contents and yes they were brand new indeed!!!

But how the hell did these obviously used wipers get into a new box and being sold off as new by the company???

If I hadn't checked and fitted them there and then...I would have had a 5 mile round trip to contend with and no doubt they might not of believed me once I had brought the items (wipers back)!!!??

Very odd experience...so always you make sure to check the contents of what you have bought guys b4 driving off!!

Someone's swapped the new wipers for their old ones and returned them for a refund whilst obviously getting to keep the new wipers.

The staff should check all returns but some just put them back on the shelf.

I used to work for B&Q 5 years ago and loads of people tried it on. Most popular was kitchen doors.

8 hours ago, stevecvo said:

Thanks for that. They look an interesting alternative to the Bosch or Valeo that I have used to date

I've used these, the Conti ones and the Bosch and the GoodRains win for me

Thanks for all the input and replies. I thought I'd try using my Turtle Wax Bumper and Black Trim Wax on the wiper bases and arms and it did definitely make it look less grey, but it's far from black so I might well follow your lead next time, Dan. Your respray sounded like the proverbials.

17 hours ago, PliSsK said:

Thanks for all the input and replies. I thought I'd try using my Turtle Wax Bumper and Black Trim Wax on the wiper bases and arms and it did definitely make it look less grey, but it's far from black so I might well follow your lead next time, Dan. Your respray sounded like the proverbials.

Aye; it's not that hard. It's just making sure you've covered the bodywork/glass so you don't have to fart about trying to remove overspray etc

Plus, it's good weather currently, so an ideal time to do them as the primer and paint will dry in no time!