Blackman

Replacing Rear Subframe Bushes

I've read tons of threads on how people do this, anything from burning the bushes to drilling them out, etc, etc.

However, I'd like to get them done properly without removing the subframe, especially if it seems like you can get a reasonably cheap tool on eBay for 40-50 quid and pull them out/push them in?

They are listed as being suitable for an E39 and there's another set for an X5 (E53), so I was wondering would they be any good to do the job on the E34?

Here are the sets:

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-E39-Saloon-sedan-REAR-AXLE-SUBFRAME-BUSH-REMOVER-INSTALLER-TOOL-/252072468325?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE39&hash=item3ab0b09f65:g:6UkAAOSwjVVV4C2l

2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-E53-REAR-AXLE-SUBFRAME-SUSPENSION-INSTALL-REMOVAL-BUSH-TOOL-/252688633610?hash=item3ad56a8f0a:g:nukAAOSwBLlVPUJC

Also there's a Sealey tool made specifically for this job - VS4465, but it's on a pricy side of things, here > http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/tools-workshop/steering-suspension-tools/sealey-rear-subframe-bush-removal-installation-tool-kit-bmw-vs4465

Obviously, 400 quid is a bit of a push, but is there a specific tool I could buy to do this job for a decent price?

Can't imagine why you would want to remove the sub frame if you mean the 'beer can' bushes at the end. I've drilled a hole in the rubber then used a jig saw to cut the outer ring. To install the new ones, I used the weight of the car - and me :)

Whichever method you use, clean the inner bore of the sub frame thoroughly and apply a little washing up liquid. Most important is to stick the new bushes in the freezer overnight. They will be tight and you need all the help you can get  

1 minute ago, whiskychaser said:

Can't imagine why you would want to remove the sub frame if you mean the 'beer can' bushes at the end. I've drilled a hole in the rubber then used a jig saw to cut the outer ring. To install the new ones, I used the weight of the car - and me :)

Whichever method you use, clean the inner bore of the sub frame thoroughly and apply a little washing up liquid. Most important is to stick the new bushes in the freezer overnight. They will be tight and you need all the help you can get  

Yes, those are the bushes I'm talking about.

As for soap, some say you shouldn't lube the bush or the bore, as somehow the bush is then not fixed in properly and possibly moves around too much?

The inside of bores have lugs sticking out of them and the bushes have corresponding slots. Difficult to imagine how they can rotate, particularly as they are a very tight fit. Each to his own but I use soap because unlike lube, it dries 

Just replacing my 'beer cans' and was wondering how far you installed them into the axle carrier? 

The witness line on the ones I removed were different and my spares are split between 10mm gap and fully home

IMG_20210425_190207.jpg

The bush should be inserted all the way. They can sometimes move down when the cross member is tightened up hence the gap. Make sure that the area around the bolt on the body is clean and the aluminium from the old bush is removed. The corrosion can cause the top of the bush to not seat fully and the result is the gap.

Thanks for the reply ///M5 and Hawaii 5-0 (https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/91803-what-have-you-done-on-your-e34-today/?do=findComment&comment=1555167

I've been doing a bit of digging in the meantime and the BMW tech info says to "coat the rubber mount with Circolight and apply it on the rear axle carrier. Pull it in"

Circolight is BMW part 83 19 9 407 771 / 250ml 83192405829 aka "gliding lubricant" / "assembly aid" / "glide agent" and at the time of writing was £30 for 250ml

Alternatives are soap as discussed above and 

* Land rover / Range rover part number LR012582 (for some reason it is listed as engine oil)

* Sunoco "Circo Light Rubber process oil"

* IPC P-80 Emulsion Temporary Rubber and assembly lubricant (£15 for 10mL tube) www.ipcol.com https://www.desertcart.co.uk/products/8175912-ipc-p-80-emulsion-temporary-assembly-and-pump-seal-lubricant

E34_Rear_Beercan_removal_n_installation.JPG

Edited by stevenc3828

I couldn't find the Sealey tool VS4465 on their website so I emailed their Technical team. They replied that the tool has been discontinued and they do not have any spares. Sealey's Instructions (attached) also mention Circolight

There is a no brand removal / installation tool for the e34 & e32 on ebay for £78.99 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114633039387?epid=3012075033&hash=item1ab0a95e1b:g:tnUAAOSwbhRgAjxM 

Sir Tools in the US have a tool (B90-BMW) for many BMWs but it was $942.78 usd. https://www.samstagsales.com/sirtools.htm#b90bmw

VS4465.pdf

Edited by stevenc3828

Removing the bush is the more difficult part. The ebay tool does not look suitable for removal. The Sealey tool has two lugs that fit into the gap of the bush and allow it to be removed. If the cross-member  is removed it is easier to remove and install. For the lubricant you want some thing that evaporates. Soapy water is the original lubricant that will evaporate in time. The gap can come from using a lubricant that is there for too long and the bush moves down causing the gap.

We had the rear axle out on mine, which made is piss easy taking the old bushes out, as you just had to heat up the surrounding area of the bush and then just bang it out with a hammer.

35803880435_2f529c1937_h.jpg&key=8f99756

34993895103_33cdf7d5da_h.jpg&key=bcc297a

As for installing it, there's a metal lip on the bushes, so it just goes all way until that lip touches the round surface of the rear axle and can't go any further. My guy didn't have a BMW specific tool for the job, but used a generic bush installer tool and we got them in nicely.

35415331770_e1e3ec1426_h.jpg&key=de99fc1

35763214886_f2a9505f74_h.jpg&key=ec0d278

As for the lube, don't stress about what exactly to use, because you just want something to help the rubber go in smoothly. As long as it's a grease that's safe to use with rubber, then I can't see any issues with what you use. 

I did send some emails to rubber bushing / mounts manufacturers re how far to install the mount into the carrier.

Topran / Hans Pires don't want to talk to end users, you have to be a parts supplier to ask questions!

Meyle sent a lovely email back, they didn't have instructions but they spent a little time researching and sent photo of a used axle carrier to help re assembly. Must say they have a improved HD version of the carrier mount that I'll look into for the next e34 I'm doing

Febi Bilstein replied "Thank you for getting in contact with us regards the fitment of the rear axle bush 04181, you are indeed correct regards fitment pressing the bush all the way down to the lip reaches the axle carrier itself." 

Edited by stevenc3828

All done, put the mounts in the freezer before hand and lubed them and the carrier up with Circolight assembly fluid ...