NuckingFuts

Thinkware F770 Hardwire

Has anyone attempted to install the Thinkware F770 into their E39?

I'm having an issue with the hardwire kit that's included in the box as it doesn't give any instructions.

I need a permanent live, ignition(?) and ground.

The cabling is nowhere near long enough to reach the battery in my touring boot and there are no open wires to tap into in the head unit harness either. I'm not willing to start cutting wires to T-piece currently used wires just for this, but the cigarette lighter cable will only be live for 20minutes after ignition off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Deepan

Hi,

The fusebox is just above the glovebox so you could make connections there, or trace some wires that are suitable around the dash area. A permanent live is self explanatory, a switched 12V is one that's live only when the ignition is switched to position 2, and a ground is self explanatory. 

If you aren't so confident with 12V electrics, then have a suitable auto electrician do the connections as it'll be both correct and more importantly, done safely. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi,

The fusebox is just above the glovebox so you could make connections there, or trace some wires that are suitable around the dash area. A permanent live is self explanatory, a switched 12V is one that's live only when the ignition is switched to position 2, and a ground is self explanatory. 

If you aren't so confident with 12V electrics, then have a suitable auto electrician do the connections as it'll be both correct and more importantly, done safely. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Being above the glove box, does said box need to be removed to get to those fuses?

I've seen these

( https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E3PQWUE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Xbu9ybXJYFA10)

on amazon that look like they might do the trick, but I'd need to figure out which fuse slots to use.

Would you happen to know, from the empty slots, which I can use for live and switched?

Ground I'd have to find a body mounted bolt, maybe thread through the door loom and bolt it under the door card?

Fancy giving me a hand?

Deepan

Sorry for reprising evidence of my ineptitude but, 

Has anyone installed one of these or indeed any dash cam with a separate rear camera at all? 

I’ve got *a lot* of slack in the rear camera cable and nowhere to hide it so at the moment it just sits dangling. Can anyone show me where I’ve gone wrong and where to hide the extra cable please? 

Muchos thanks

NF aka Deepan

On 17/04/2017 at 17:40, NuckingFuts said:

Has anyone attempted to install the Thinkware F770 into their E39?

I'm having an issue with the hardwire kit that's included in the box as it doesn't give any instructions.

I need a permanent live, ignition(?) and ground.

The cabling is nowhere near long enough to reach the battery in my touring boot and there are no open wires to tap into in the head unit harness either. I'm not willing to start cutting wires to T-piece currently used wires just for this, but the cigarette lighter cable will only be live for 20minutes after ignition off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Deepan

Look in here Deepan; this is as simple as it needs to be :)

I installed my Nextbase dash cam up in front of my rear view mirror; took about 20mins all in, connecting to the glovebox fuse box, feeding the wire up the A pillar and pressed into the headlining etc

It's quite simple on the E39; the fuse you need to use is listed in there too ;) 

4 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Look in here Deepan; this is as simple as it needs to be :)

I installed my Nextbase dash cam up in front of my rear view mirror; took about 20mins all in, connecting to the glovebox fuse box, feeding the wire up the A pillar and pressed into the headlining etc

It's quite simple on the E39; the fuse you need to use is listed in there too ;) 

Hey Dan, I did indeed read through that after I posted the original message. 

I’ve had it in and working for some time now, slot 7 for battery/live and slot 43 for accessory in the fuse panel above the glovebox and a chassis bolt for ground/earth. 

I did have a battery drain issue, but that had nothing to do with the dash cam itself. 

The issue I have at present is that for the rear camera I have a lot of slack in the cable (about a foot) that I need to hide but can’t think where to hide it. 

Cheers

NF aka Deepan 

image.jpg

13 minutes ago, NuckingFuts said:

Hey Dan, I did indeed read through that after I posted the original message. 

I’ve had it in and working for some time now, slot 7 for battery/live and slot 43 for accessory in the fuse panel above the glovebox and a chassis bolt for ground/earth. 

I did have a battery drain issue, but that had nothing to do with the dash cam itself. 

The issue I have at present is that for the rear camera I have a lot of slack in the cable (about a foot) that I need to hide but can’t think where to hide it. 

Cheers

NF aka Deepan 

image.jpg

Loosen that D pillar plastic pal (it pops off easy enough) and feed the wire into there if you can, there's bags of room behind it in the cavity

32 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Loosen that D pillar plastic pal (it pops off easy enough) and feed the wire into there if you can, there's bags of room behind it in the cavity

I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

I may try and hide some slack in the passenger side rear cubby hole, where the CD changer used to hide. I’ll be mounting some of my Audison kit there when I get round to running my audio cable. 

@DennisCooper doesn’t get his hands dirty with cabling any more so I have to do it all on my lonesome. :ph34r::D

On 03/09/2019 at 13:04, NuckingFuts said:

@DennisCooper doesn’t get his hands dirty with cabling any more so I have to do it all on my lonesome. :ph34r::D

;)

Evaluating about doing installs again! Just need to watch out for my lower back pain..

Cheers, Dennis!

1 minute ago, DennisCooper said:

;)

Evaluating about doing installs again! Just need to watch out for my lower back pain..

Cheers, Dennis!

That’s ok, I have drugs for that ;) 

C’mon you know you want to do it. Come down tomorrow evening and we can make some progress at least with the wiring <_<

Just now, NuckingFuts said:

That’s ok, I have drugs for that ;) 

C’mon you know you want to do it. Come down tomorrow evening and we can make some progress at least with the wiring <_<

Wish they'd hurry up and invent the titanium replacement spine !

Car is away right now having work and maintenance done so not able to drive anywhere ! Once it's back, I'll need to have my dashcam installed too - but will most likely have CAS/Team SPB or John Kleis do it !

Cheers, Dennis!

37 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Wish they'd hurry up and invent the titanium replacement spine !

Car is away right now having work and maintenance done so not able to drive anywhere ! Once it's back, I'll need to have my dashcam installed too - but will most likely have CAS/Team SPB or John Kleis do it !

Cheers, Dennis!

That’s ok, 

I can drive the car to you (once I get the alignment done at Pro-Tyre Slough) ;) 

You can make the tea, and point out when I'm doing something wrong if that makes you feel any better :lol: