drmotorsport

Westfalia towing electrics install on E60 LCI

Hi, has anyone installed the dedicated electrics kit for Westfalia on an e60 LCI?  I'm having trouble deciphering their install hieroglyphics when trying to find a black/yellow wire for the brake lights which doesn't seems to exist in the location they specify or even at the light clusters.  Just wondering if the wiring colours may have changed for the LCI model and the Westfalia documentation does not reflect this and i'm loath to tap into one of the actual brakelight wires for fear of angering the check control system!

Not on the E60, but the same Westfalia wiring kit fits the F10 which I installed on my dads F10.

Once you have installed the twisted pair to the canbus,(in the drivers foot well on the F10) the orange and orange/green wire, you don't actually need to connect anything else to the canbus from the Westfalia loom.  It will work without a connection to the black and yellow wire for the brakes.  We connected the twisted pair to the canbus and tested the lights on the caravan to check that what we had done so far worked and surprise surprise and all worked including the brakes lights on the caravan even though we had not connected anything to the black/yellow wire.

Like you, I couldn't find the black and yellow wire in the car to connect too.  I contacted Westfalia and Tamzin there is very helpful.  She said you don't actually need to connect this wire as the Westfalia unit will detect the brakes from the twisted pair.  She advised that the connection to the black/yellow wire is an additional safety procedure, i.e. a separate source of detection for the brakes on the trailer should something else fail.  Tamzin also suggested that if you cannot find the black/yellow wire it is o.k. to take a feed from the centre brake light in the car if you want. The centre brake light should not upset the check control system if you take a feed from it according to Westfalia, but it will work with out this connection to the black/yellow wire.

Test it and see what it does.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that's very helpful.   I've called Westfalia UK who told me to speak to the retailer (PF Jones).  I've heard back from PF Jones tech guys now and they suggest that maybe the black and yellow wire may be for the centre brake lights which ties in to your response.  About the only place i've not checked for this cable is the centre light, so will take that apart next!  

Fitting is now complete and fully working.  I found the black and yellow wire at the centre brake light and traced it back into the left side wiring loom near the location in the documentation.  Other wires were traced ok in the expected locations.  I probably spent more time agonising about routing the new wiring tidily than actually hooking them up and as a consequence i did not need to remove the rear seat base as per the instructions but followed the existing wiring route underneath the boot flooring.

Some fettling needs to be done for the trim flap in the diffuser as it doesn't clip on securely and i also didn't need the plastic centre guide piece for the bumper that some websites and documentation suggested was needed.  I'm still not sure whether to paint the new diffuser panel as i quite like the contrast...

I'm pretty happy with the Wesfalia kit and like the fact it automatically cuts the rear parking sensors but keeps the front active, also the bulb failure warning now applies to the trailer as well.

DSC_0158.JPGDSC_0159.JPG

Good job and thanks for the update.

Yes the Westfalia loom will detect the trailer is hitched and cancel reverse sensors and leave the front active. It does by sensing the electrical resistance of the 21W fog light on the trailer according to the documentation, do you have a fog light on your trailer?

I had to frig a resister on my trailer so my dads F10 with the Westfalia loom could detect it and power the trailer lights.

Tell me when hitched up and you put the cars rear fog lights on to illuminate the trailer fog (assuming you have one) does the car then switch off its rear fogs to prevent glare in your rear view mirror? 

Thanks for that.

I had read that as soon as I plug anything into my 3AC socket the microswitch then gets triggered so the car knows it has a trailer hooked up, therefore should switch off the fogs on the car.  But when I put a 7 pin adapter in to the socket the fogs stayed on on the car.

Will need to try with the trailer, it may also need to detect the electrical load of the trailer lights too.

I have heard that BMW didn't always wire all the pins correctly or fully on the 13 pin sockets and that the UK pinouts can be slightly different from the continent, so maybe worth checking the continuity/pinout on your adaptor if you've not already?

It should switch out just by getting the micro switch to detect the adapter. The towbar won't swivel in if the micro switch detects adapter which was the case in mine so it new it was there as the green light went out on the towbar switch, but fogs stayed on. 

Need to investigate further.

On 11/04/2017 at 09:45, 535i Andrew said:

Once you have installed the twisted pair to the canbus,(in the drivers foot well on the F10) the orange and orange/green wire, you don't actually need to connect anything else to the canbus from the Westfalia loom.  

I have been looking for clues everywhere, and this quote gets close to my issue.

Scene: I have a E91LCI (y 2010) and a Westfalia towing bar to mount. It's just the CANbus wires which confuses me, as the manual is unclear.

There are two sets of thin wires  - the green / orange-green set and the orange / black-yellow set. 

I am sure that the green / orange-green set must be hooked up behind the rear seats, but do I need to hook up the orange / black-yellow set to, or are they for another model?

9 minutes ago, Dolly2000 said:

There are two sets of thin wires  - the green / orange-green set and the orange / black-yellow set. 

I am sure that the green / orange-green set must be hooked up behind the rear seats, but do I need to hook up the orange / black-yellow set to, or are they for another model?

Hi going on the loom I fitted to an F10 which is the same kit to that you would fit to an E60....

From the Westfalia loom: The orange/green twisted pair are the canbus connection.

From the Westfalia loom:  The black/yellow wire is an additional safety connection to the rear centre brake light.  It will work without this connection. In the event of a failure of the canbus, you can still show a trailer brake light even if all other lights have failed due to loss of the canbus connection.

From the Westfalia loom:  The orange wire on the F10 kit was used to take an 'ignition on' feed from a module in the drivers footwell, but we binned that idea and fitted a proper caravan/split charge relay in the boot instead from the battery.

On 25/05/2020 at 16:51, 535i Andrew said:

What are you testing?

Hi Andrew

Well - was trying to write a response to your exellent help, but for some funny reason I could'nt post my text - except this "test" version.

So - again, thank you so much for your quick and valuable help Andrew. Just what i needed. Spent my weekend to hook it up. Now I just need to connect the plus wires including the yellow one for auxillary power via ignition. Meanwhile I must buy an inline fuse for a micro fuse, like the two others. I plan to let the light on my caravan control a relay for this aux line.

I know I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but I'll add my experience all the same in the event that others find it useful.

I fitted this kit to my E61 back in 2018, or maybe 2017 - I forget.

I agree that the instructions are awful and very unclear, I even had an auto electrician look into fitting it for me and he couldn't make head nor tale of them! 

When I did finally manage to get through to PF Jones to ask advice I was spoken to with what I can only describe as scorn but I did get the clarity I needed from them, albeit with a healthy dose of free contempt included.  

The purpose of splicing into the black/yellow wire is a failsafe, or so I'm told by PF Jones.  In the event that the can-bus signals to the brake lights fail the centre mounted brake light will provide a backup.  In my car the yellow/black wire was located in the loom running up the very rear right pillar - take the trim off to expose the loom and it's in there somewhere.

I never did get my rear parking sensors to cancel with the trailer attached, though.  It was never a big enough issue for me to either worry about it or find out why and fix it, I just live with it.

Keep the towing module well away from anywhere that can collect water - I found out the hard way that it causes all sorts of other systems to "fail" when it gets a drop of water inside.  I also couldn't find a replacement module for the one I borked without buying a complete new wiring loom kit, so I now have a complete spare loom kicking around doing nowt.

In the event that I replace the car with another BMW, which I'm seriously thinking about, it might come in handy though.

On 26/05/2020 at 22:52, 535i Andrew said:

Glad I could help, let us know how you get on.

A little late for an update, but - 

I hooked it up for my 13 pin connector. There's sort of an inner and an outer ring of pins . 1-4 is the inner pins. Meanwhile aech pin has a number (1-4) stamped in the plastic, and I managed to read it incorrectly. It's matches the Westfalia manual in unreadability!

So - after a long struggle, while I refused to realize my fault (wise guy), I finally got everything right.

In the process I attached the orange wire to plus at the  reverse parking sensor - a green/white wire. Besides the alarm is silent with something on the hook. I read somewhere that the electronics senses a/the fog lamp, and by that mutes the alarm, so maybe check that Haych.

Again my breakthrough (the manual) and solution came by Andrews help, so again thank you.

20 minutes ago, Dolly2000 said:

I read somewhere that the electronics senses a/the fog lamp, and by that mutes the alarm, so maybe check that Haych.

Again my breakthrough (the manual) and solution came by Andrews help, so again thank you.

Yes the Westfalia kit uses the resistance of a 21W bulb across pin 7 the fog light to detect a towed item. I had to retro fit a 6.6 Ohm 50Watt resister across the fog light circuit on my trailer so my dads F10 with the Westfalia kit could tow it as the trailer does not have a fog light.

When I say detect, that means the Westfalia module then tells the car that it’s in towing mode which alters the traction and stability programs and disabled the rear parking sensors. 

Hi, i found this thread while looking for some information about a problem I am having with my westfalia x1 towing electrics (i believe they are very similar if not the same as the 5 series electrics). A lot of the points in this thread seem similar so I was hoping someone could help. I dont mean to hijack a thread, just seem that the people who may know are here!

My problem is that out of the blue, my car seems to think the trailer is connected, even though it isnt. The rear PDC is disabled, as if the trailer is there, and I get warnings in the dash about faulty trailer bulbs (as there is no trailer connected)

I can trigger this by just getting into the car, starting it up and using the indicators.

I have checked the wiring in the towbar connector and all looks fine. there is no damage or shorts that I can see. I also blew out the pins of the connector with wd40 to push out any water that might be interfering with it.

I saw mention of the westfalia controller using the resistance of a bulb over pin 7 to detect the trailer. Any idea why the controller believes there is a trailer there when there isnt?

Thanks!

Wierd - i just hitched up the trailer and went for a short drive. When I removed the trailer, all was back to normal and the controller was no longer detecting it.

Problem seems to have returned after a short break. Checked boot area and all the wiring to/from the controller and all looks okay. No water ingress. 13 pins socket also looks fine, no broken wires or chafing etc.

Im thinking its probably a faulty controller - will give westfalia a call and see what my options are to get it repaired/replaced.

28 minutes ago, keithl said:

Problem seems to have returned after a short break. Checked boot area and all the wiring to/from the controller and all looks okay. No water ingress. 13 pins socket also looks fine, no broken wires or chafing etc.

Im thinking its probably a faulty controller - will give westfalia a call and see what my options are to get it repaired/replaced.

What happens if you unplug the towing module? Do the rear PDC sensors start working again and the bulb faults disappear?

Have you checked the rear/inside of the euro socket to make sure the wires are securely fastened and none are loose in their terminals, or even making contact with other terminals?

Just a thought. I had a towing module that went bad and the car was next to undriveable. 

Hope it helps and even if it doesn’t hope you manage to get it sorted. 

Just pulled the module out now - car is back to normal again. Controller is pristine, no moisture, marks or burnt smells. Pic attached.

Yes pulled out the 13 pin socket and inspected all the terminals, everything is secure and there is no damage or moisture I can see. I had blown it out with wd40 previously too, to make sure any moisture was pushed out.

Im hoping westfalia can help - maybe its a controller bug they can fix with software update

IMG_2817.JPG