Hi all,

First post here, first fool questions...

We've just collected our 64-plate F11 520d SE Luxury, Professional Nav and the following (standard) setup:

6AC Intelligent Emergency Call Intelligenter Notruf
6AE Teleservices Teleservices
6AK Connecteddrive Services Connecteddrive Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information Real Time Traffic Information
6NS Enhanced Telephony With Extended Sm Komforttelefonie Mit Erw. Smartphon
6WA Instrument Cluster W. Extended Cont Instrumentenkombi. M. Erw. Umf.
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner
698 Area-code 2 Area-code 2

The previous owner has left some music on the HDD, and I can rip from CDs in-car, but everything I've tried comes up as 'Unknown Artist/Album/Track etc': I presume this is to do with the Gracenote DB being out of date - can anyone point me to the most straightforward way to update it? Or am I wrong - it does seem like a bit of a weakness on BMW's part.

I'm also struggling with getting music onto a USB stick and then into the car: I think this could be because I'm tripping over Apple Music DRM? An idiot's guide to how to do this either via Apple Music/iTunes or Windows Media would be really useful.

Cheers!

I'm interest in any answer too, because whereas I could see tracks on my phone thru bluetooth, now all I get is Unknown Artist/Unknown Track.  

I did have a couple of tracks on the phone listed as Unknown, but those have now been deleted, but the system won't get past Unknown/Unknown, and seems to be searching and stuck in a loop

I've tried re-setting bluetooth, which seemed a sensible thing to do before going a Factory re-set, but as expected, it didn't fix things.

On a positive note I've not had any problems with tracks on the USB stick

There's a lot I like about the F11, but the entertainment system isn't one of them.

1 hour ago, IroningMan said:

Hi all,

First post here, first fool questions...

We've just collected our 64-plate F11 520d SE Luxury, Professional Nav and the following (standard) setup:

6AC Intelligent Emergency Call Intelligenter Notruf
6AE Teleservices Teleservices
6AK Connecteddrive Services Connecteddrive Services
6AM Real Time Traffic Information Real Time Traffic Information
6NS Enhanced Telephony With Extended Sm Komforttelefonie Mit Erw. Smartphon
6WA Instrument Cluster W. Extended Cont Instrumentenkombi. M. Erw. Umf.
609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
654 Dab Tuner Dab Tuner
698 Area-code 2 Area-code 2

The previous owner has left some music on the HDD, and I can rip from CDs in-car, but everything I've tried comes up as 'Unknown Artist/Album/Track etc': I presume this is to do with the Gracenote DB being out of date - can anyone point me to the most straightforward way to update it? Or am I wrong - it does seem like a bit of a weakness on BMW's part.

I'm also struggling with getting music onto a USB stick and then into the car: I think this could be because I'm tripping over Apple Music DRM? An idiot's guide to how to do this either via Apple Music/iTunes or Windows Media would be really useful.

Cheers!

The latest Gracenote update seems to be 03.2016 for NBT. But if you use iTunes use this tool: http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/ to export your iTunes library to a USB stick and just leave that connected to the USB in the armrest and forget it until your next iTunes export update.

When ripping CDs to the car's internal HDD the Gracenote database is accessed to inject the metadata to the 128Kbps WMA files. If your CD is newer than that database then you will end up with the unknown title/artist. You can either rip the CD on your PC and edit the metadata manually or use an iTunes library to manage your music and export as above.

I've been using the USB stick with iTunes export in the car for a number of years now and have ignored the internal HDD as it is just too cumbersome. Works perfectly for me. Also you get a slightly better sound depending on whether you rip your CDs to 320Kbps MP3 as opposed to the 128Kbps WMA used by the car to rip songs.