Sign in to follow this  
Guvf10520d

stop start failure warning message

Hi there, I need some advise on what could have caused the stop start failure message to appear in my 2011 bmw f10 520d. I have been told it could just need a replacement battery because the battery is 7 years old, is this true or just some bull? can anyone help?

thanks

Welcome to the forum.

It could just be low on fuel or need a fuel filter change.

The older Diesel stop start technology used to stop working when the glow plugs and or injectors were showing their age, the car then thinks there is a risk that it won't restart if the glow plugs or injectors have a niggle so it won't switch off in the first place. The newer cars may be similar affected.

In all honesty it could be anything including a duff battery (you need plenty of juice from the battery to crank an engine) so the best thing to do is get your codes read.

15 hours ago, Guvf10520d said:

Hi there, I need some advise on what could have caused the stop start failure message to appear in my 2011 bmw f10 520d. I have been told it could just need a replacement battery because the battery is 7 years old, is this true or just some bull? can anyone help?

thanks

I would first try recharging the battery I had the same type of problem with our mini cooper 1.6d, got a warning on dashboard stop start failure, when I connected my Foxwell BMW/Mini scanner it found Brake Vacuum Sensor Fault Code 4AFA which is part number 8 in the link http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=SW32-EUR-03-2012-R56N-Mini-Cooper_D_16&diagId=34_1795

Looking at the 520d parts list it looks like this also has the same part as the mini.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5J32-EUR-04-2014-F11N-BMW-520d&diagId=34_1850

Athough it does not appear to be a seperate part as the mini link shows its possible the same type of fault, I would suggest if after charging battery you still get a fault get it connected to a fault code scanner which will likely point you in the right direction, incidently I just had brake vacuum sensor replaced on our mini for £169 inc part, on a mini there is very limiting space and my hands were to large.