mazza

Any Petrol Owners here???

Hi chaps

Anyone on here have a petrol F10 528i N53, 528i N20 or 520i N20?

Any comments on how these engines compare and what kind of MPG are they capable of and how the inline 6 compares to the 4 cylinder regards driving character and smoothness

Thanks

N53 engine is natural aspired, N20 is turbocharged.

N53 got VANOS with no valvetronic. I've had e60 525i 3.0 l 218 bhp driven for 4 years. The only one fault was hpfp and low pressure fuel sensor. Both replaced.

Now I have got f10 530i :N53 3.0l 272 bhp.

310Nm. And gives me very nice driving and efficiency.

I would never ever go for 4 pots if I had a choice of 6 pots engine.

IMO

I can get nearly 40 (38.4 mpg) out of mine by sticking to 70 on the Mway, and that's without concentrating on what mpg I'm getting.

4 hours ago, pldoughnut said:

I would never ever go for 4 pots if I had a choice of 6 pots engine.

Likewise. BMW are known for their super silky smooth 6 pot petrol engines, the 4 pots are ok, far better than any Ford or Vaux unit would give you.

Another 530i f10 here and very happy with it. quick enough for me, nice and progressive so it is involving to drive, and allegedly good on fuel. 

I do have this wierd metallic noise at idle which is normal for n53 but makes it sound more gruff than the older i6 engines. Interestingly that noise turned off whilst i had it idling in my garage (door open) and the engine became virtually silent.. so much so it reminded me of my old m54 and was silky smooth burble at idle. Revved it and the noise came back!! I would KILL to find out what turned off to stop that noise! haha

Another 530i f10 here and very happy with it. quick enough for me, nice and progressive so it is involving to drive, and allegedly good on fuel. 

I do have this wierd metallic noise at idle which is normal for n53 but makes it sound more gruff than the older i6 engines. Interestingly that noise turned off whilst i had it idling in my garage (door open) and the engine became virtually silent.. so much so it reminded me of my old m54 and was silky smooth burble at idle. Revved it and the noise came back!! I would KILL to find out what turned off to stop that noise! haha

I'm the same PL Doughnut who had over 300 posts but my previous account is not available from tapatalk. Also cannot log in from pc.

Anyway, I was able to make 41mpg. There should be on forum journey comp screen shots .

IMO

F10 523i N53 manual here, superb engine. I cover a fair few miles and motorway cruising, 40-44mpg is achievable without needing to try. Round town, low 30's is the norm. I would say 35mpg would be about right for someone doing 50/50 driving (motorway/city).

Mine might be needing to go soon though to make way for something newer and I'm finding it difficult to choose something which does everything so well.

18 minutes ago, sanjx said:

F10 523i N53 manual here, superb engine. I cover a fair few miles and motorway cruising, 40-44mpg is achievable without needing to try. Round town, low 30's is the norm. I would say 35mpg would be about right for someone doing 50/50 driving (motorway/city).

Mine might be needing to go soon though to make way for something newer and I'm finding it difficult to choose something which does everything so well.

Low mileage f10 530i.. whistles 

Im liking what i read!!  So the 4 cylinder may do a few more mpg say 45?  And i have been looking and the cheapest i can find is around 15k, a N53 is around 11k.

I bought a final manufacturing run 6-pot 528i in September 2011 with manual transmission.

Motorway fuel consumption at 70-ish is around 30-34 mpg. Around town its 24 to 26. The only time I've seen anything better was on the M58 from the M6 to Liverpool (so downhill all the way) with a hot engine, in 6th, cruise control set to 56 mph, when I got 51 mpg. So my experience is that it's a thirsty beast.

Suspension/ride comfort on 17" wheels is acceptable with one or two people in the car and no luggage, when fully loaded it can only be described as dire; every bump, even on smooth continental motorways is like being dropped on a concrete block. (SE not sport model)

I keep the car because (a) I can't afford to change it (b) it's a manual and I hate autos, so there isn't much choice and (c) it isn't a Jaguar (had two of those before the 528i, never again)

I have a 730d as daily driver and an E39 530i Sport which I'm guilty for underuse. I always found it drank petrol, and if I had a new vehicle with the same mpg I'd probably ditch it fast.

When you compare it to what's on offer with amazing 118's you really do have to question whether you can't afford to change.

Undoubtedly I wouldn't want to be filling up a 528 or 530 petrol every day, but for occasional weekend use, I get a lot of enjoyment from the drive of the E39.

Yet I am also mindful that whilst blatantly uneconomical when you Compare it to newer smaller engined diesels, diesels have a limited life because of their environmental impact.

It comes down to cost and conscience over enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a final manufacturing run 6-pot 528i in September 2011 with manual transmission.

Motorway fuel consumption at 70-ish is around 30-34 mpg. Around town its 24 to 26. The only time I've seen anything better was on the M58 from the M6 to Liverpool (so downhill all the way) with a hot engine, in 6th, cruise control set to 56 mph, when I got 51 mpg. So my experience is that it's a thirsty beast.

Suspension/ride comfort on 17" wheels is acceptable with one or two people in the car and no luggage, when fully loaded it can only be described as dire; every bump, even on smooth continental motorways is like being dropped on a concrete block. (SE not sport model)

I keep the car because (a) I can't afford to change it (B) it's a manual and I hate autos, so there isn't much choice and © it isn't a Jaguar (had two of those before the 528i, never again)

Your car is powered by N52B30 engine not N53. Therefore the consumption is higher. Also 17' wheels are far too small for f10 to make this car fairly drivable.

IMO

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Why anyone buys a two ton barge and then watches the MPG's is beyond me.. 

You've hit the nail on the head there Sir.

I've never bought a car cos it was good on mpg, just look at my garage back catalogue. I've bought the car for the engine that was in it and if this one drinks less than the last one then that's a Brucey bonus.

If you are bothered about mpg buy a diesel Fiesta.

Fair comment on it being a heavy car and shouldnt want to watch the mpg but its going to be a daily doing a minimum of 300 miles a week and i like a safe car. I have a weekend car for fun.  I dont want another diesel and its why the 528i in i6 or i4 is an option for me.  Ive seen some higher mileage 523i going for around 8k so the saving on initial purchase should compensate for the mpg.

Im surprised at theig that your car being an SE  doesnt ride smooth!!  My cousin has a 520d sport 2012 on 18s and it rides firm but not bad at all.

Well, I use my car for business journeys as well. This is 3 l petrol and I claim 24p per mile plus 21p tax allowance.

If I've had 2l I would claim only 14p per mile plus 31p tax allowance. Anyone can take a calculator and see the difference between both. Even if on 40% tax it is worth to have 3 l.

IMO

I've a 2011 528i and get much the same mpg as you. I only do a small number of miles a year (less than 6k) so I'm not too bothered. In fact she almost has as bad a drink problem as the 3.2 litre SLK.

I use mine for work and as I do so many miles, i just prefer the smell of petrol and the way it drives. However, work dictates max age limits/mileage/etc... which means we have to either buy new and hammer the mileage or buy older and change frequent. I prefer the latter as I get bored quite quick. As for 45ppm, our company doesn't give the full and have a decreasing scale so I have to spend all of 30mins once a year claiming the difference from the tax man. 

Mike-would love a 530i but i'm currently torn between a single car for all purposes or splitting and having a week day/weekend car. Time will tell

I used to have the N53 525i and it did between 22and 37mpg, usually around 24mpg in normal short journey use. I found it very thirsty compared with my E39 525i. 

But, it was a peach of an engine. Expect to get through coil packs and injectors like they are going out of fashion.

23 hours ago, bmwmike said:

theig is your car 3.0 or 2.5 litre?

It's the 3.0 litre. As others have said, lovely engine but drinks fuel (and oil). I'm more concerned about it's thirst for oil but the dealer claims 1 litre every 3k - 4k miles is within spec. And no, I don't thrash it

Funny but I find my 530i roughly the same on fuel as my old 2.5 e46 and that's for the same trips. Considering its a much heavier car and auto I think that's pretty good.

Havent  had to top my oil up in 10k.