mazza

Any Petrol Owners here???

E39Touring you have a point about the tax reasons and the market was flooded with diesels but most drivers i speak to are obsessed with the extra 10 mpg diesels will do and i was talking to a colleage the other day who was trading his car in and spending another 4k to upgrade to a diesel to save £100 a year!  Thats the kind of logic people have.

24 minutes ago, mazza said:

E39Touring you have a point about the tax reasons and the market was flooded with diesels but most drivers i speak to are obsessed with the extra 10 mpg diesels will do and i was talking to a colleage the other day who was trading his car in and spending another 4k to upgrade to a diesel to save £100 a year!  Thats the kind of logic people have.

Yeah, my parents go out of their way to buy a car with zero or very cheap tax, they spent £22k on an Audi A1 as it had £35 VED, I stated they could've got a very nice 6 cylinder petrol BM for that, but the VED put them off.  Never mind. 

I will keep looking for one, hopefully one with the right spec will turn up.  I nearly bought a E60 but glad i waited as i really like the interior of the F10.

You live your life only once. Make the joy as you can. Unless you want to take your money with you to the coffin. If so make a savings on mpg, mot, road tax and other. But remember that the government will always find one way or another to pull the money off you. It's your choice.

Can anybody explain why diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol in UK?

IMO

2 hours ago, E39touring said:

Yeah, my parents go out of their way to buy a car with zero or very cheap tax, they spent £22k on an Audi A1 as it had £35 VED,  I stated they could've got a very nice 6 cylinder petrol BM for that, but the VED put them off.  Never mind. 

Your parents bought an Audi?

Divorce them, simples.:D

I got my F10 for that money......just saying, like you did. Lol:D

My neighbor or rather his wife, made him trade an E90 320i for an Audi Q3 Diesel quattro....in white.  I suggested that, that was grounds for divorce.

38 minutes ago, pldoughnut said:

You live your life only once. Make the joy as you can.

Which is what I said to myself when the E39 went for my first E60. Taking the plunge in buying a much newer more expensive car with a nuclear bomb under the bonnet.  Once I did it, I never looked back though.  :D

30 minutes ago, pldoughnut said:

Can anybody explain why diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol in UK?

There isn't a sane argument.  I think it's an element of 'because they can'.  Apparently 67% of car owners run petrol engines, but we buy more diesel than petrol.  And even now, with the petrol-diesel price difference reaching almost zero last year, I notice Diesel prices on the forecourt are creeping up faster than petrol again even though the wholesale price of diesel is typically just under 10% lower.

It is variously claimed that:

• Diesel is perceived to be dirtier than petrol so, hence, attracts a higher tax. 
  • The fuel retailers use higher diesel prices to keep petrol prices lower,
  • UK refineries are not geared up to meet demand and therefore we pay higher diesel prices because we need to import supplies from other countries.
  • In other countries (France for example) diesel is cheaper than petrol due to subsidies designed to keep it affordable for farmers

As I said: No sane argument.

On 08/02/2017 at 11:50 AM, 535iAR said:

With this tankful im currently struggling to get it above 25mpg.

My last tankful was less than 20mpg!!  And no, I don't have a heavy right foot!

Incidentally - anyone know how I can get a Fuelly.com icon to display in my sig?  I keep getting a message saying the picture in the signature is rejected because it can't size the picture.  Frustrating!!

Being out in mine today, with a good mix of driving but no more than 20 miles, managed to get mine up from 24.4 to 24.9 mpg just driving in my ordinary way, but didn't need to thaw it out this morning.  Botty warmers set to max though cos the wind chill made it feel chuffin' freezing!

1 hour ago, 535iAR said:

Your parents bought an Audi?

Divorce them, simples.:D

I got my F10 for that money......just saying, like you did. Lol:D

My neighbor or rather his wife, made him trade an E90 320i for an Audi Q3 Diesel quattro....in white.  I suggested that, that was grounds for divorce.

The Q3 is a hateful thing, especially a diesel one.

58 minutes ago, 535iAR said:

Being out in mine today, with a good mix of driving but no more than 20 miles, managed to get mine up from 24.4 to 24.9 mpg just driving in my ordinary way, but didn't need to thaw it out this morning.  Botty warmers set to max though cos the wind chill made it feel chuffin' freezing!

My diesel was only doing around 29mpg the last time I saw it.

Edited by E39touring