mazza

Any Petrol Owners here???

16 hours ago, savcom said:

I only do a small number of miles a year (less than 6k) so I'm not too bothered. 

Exactly the same as me,  don't buy a diesel, at mileage you would kill it when it gets 5-6 years old. DPF clogged!

41mpg on motorway is normal I do on 70-75 mph. No oil top up needed between oil services but I do oil service on every 12k miles. Current mileage 40k.

My previous N53 (e60 525i sold after 91k miles) required no more than 1 l of oil after every 10k miles.

Coils issue was resolved by recall. Injectors are as reliable as you do care about them. In example not running on fuel reserve and fueling good petrol pb 97/98 ( at least on every second tank). Also as injectors are being cooled by petrol don't be too much bothered about mpg.

IMO

I just had a nice blast up to brecon and around some of the roads just for the fun of driving and listening to the engine note 3000 rpm and up, total distance 48 miles return. Won't mention speed here though was mostly sensible and my MPG on getting back was 26, up from 11.6mpg indicated after I'd dropped the kids off from school earlier today.

I do think it all depends on driving style and usage than anything else.

Agree on the diesel argument if doing low miles.. I'm about 9k miles per year average.

With this tankful im currently struggling to get it above 25mpg.

This was due to me getting it back from BMW at 24mpg following MOT which will have seen the car idle and Rev for the necessary test. They also fitted a new aircon condenser so again engine will have been idled for testing.

Ive only done short trips and in traffic so not had a chance to stretch it to improve mpg.

But you don't but a BMW and worry about mpg, that's like wanting to convert an M5 to LPG.

Exactly the same as me,  don't buy a diesel, at mileage you would kill it when it gets 5-6 years old. DPF clogged!

I moved away from diesel when I sold my 530d for exactly that reason. Having bought the SLK I effectively halved my BMW mileage so when I replaced it I only considered petrol.

Sent from my Xperia when my back was turned

Yes i have driven a 530d and i was annoyed how smooth it was as i always said i would never drive a diesel haha Amazing car!  And it made a really nice sound! 

7 hours ago, 535iAR said:

and good luck finding a 6 pot.

Yes - they were like hens teeth!  When replacing the 530D last November I was looking at (forgive me...) Merc E-class V6 petrols and A5 petrols as well as the F10.  In the whole of the UK I only found two petrol A5s, eleven E-class petrol and only thirty 5 series petrols!  In the end I tried the closest Merc (only 60 miles away) and tried a BMW.  That was twelve miles away.  The nearest A5 was over 120 miles away.

I suspect though that this will get even tougher before more petrol ones filter through.  Autotrader tonight shows about 30 6-pot F10s available in the UK.

10 minutes ago, savcom said:

only thirty 5 series petrols! 

Thirty!?

When I was looking this time last year, I had a choice of two via AUC and one was manual with no toys and at a dealer I have vowed never to return too!

You can now agree with my signature strap line, lol:D

6 minutes ago, 535iAR said:

Thirty!?

Thirty.  And I'd filtered out the 2.0L ones.  When I removed the 523is I was left with a handful of 528s and 535s.  

I actually feel lucky to have found the 528 - even though we are bitching about the MPG here mine has a sports auto, which I wanted, low mileage and a nice clean interior.  Stereo and sat nav I can sort myself.  The only thing missing was Xenons.

Edited by savcom

6 hours ago, pldoughnut said:

I'm glad to have natural aspired 3.0 petrol.

IMO

What engine is that? N53B30 badged as a 523i or 528i or 530i?

Ashamed to admit, I'm not too sure about the other petrol engines in the range other than mine and the twin turbo V8 job.

I drove a 520i a year or three ago and liked it. Not a rocket ship but decent performance, very quiet on idle and would easily do 35 mpg. Sadly not a success, and very few sold. But a good one should have good resale value - the tide is turning away from diesels.

The 528i Auto is a superb thing.

On 2/9/2017 at 7:59 PM, 535iAR said:

^. That's pretty good.  You would probably find it need a service I.e. Oil change before you ever need to top up.

The car's computer is showing 30k between oil changes! (although I got it done early last time as that can't be good). Motorway cruising, steady speed and not much start stop. From a maintenance point of view, i'm amazed at how the CBS has changed the cost profile. For higher mileage drivers, i think its most certainly cheaper overall than fixed servicing (if you stick to the CBS and don't do anything early that is). 

Yeah i really hope so but it seems that the majority of drivers love the diesels and dont care about the environment as long as they can get the cheapest motoring they can.  Even worse is when you get drivers removing DPFs!!

The diesel craze wont change much unless manufacturers stop offering them to the public.  If they actually get round to banning diesels in the major cities then things will start to change. Im certainly not buying a diesel even if i can get 1000 mpg!!

Total rubbish I'm afraid. The government led buyers of new cars to diesels for tax reasons. I usually buy at 1-2 years old, I had a N53 petrol E61 but found it impossible to find a petrol 5 GT or I would have one. So I have a diesel as there was simply no alternative, nothing to do with cost I'm afraid.