papercutout

Clutch/selection problem

Hey everyone, the other day I came out to my '95 525TDS and found the clutch pedal on the floor. I was actually off on a date, so it was a pretty awkward situation! I DID drive the car, and after being in 1st once, 1st disappeared.

Anyway, I got home and discovered the car had no fluid in the reservoir - topped it up, bled through pushing and releasing the pedal, cleared as much air out the system as possible (was watching the bubbles come up into the reservoir, then bled the slave cylinder to cycle new fluid in there. Props to my mum (as the only person around) for pumping the pedal for me!

Now I STILL have no first - the gear lever simply won't go into it, it's 3rd or reverse, it's as if there's no 'gate' for first. And 2nd gear crunches going in, even trying to rev-match or double clutch it, it isn't smooth. Ironically, I can get a smooth gear change if I don't use the clutch and rev match.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is? The fluid level hasn't dropped again, so there doesn't appear to be a slave or master cylinder leak.

Thanks

Cause may well be a duff seal on the slave. Pull the rubber boot back - if it is wet in there it needs sorting. I suspect you still have air in the system so for now suggest you try reverse filling (from the slave end)  

Thanks, no leaks, fortunately! Carried on bleeding today. I'd gone till I got clean fluid the other day, but it can't have been enough. Did some more bleeding today and had a patch of NASTY milky brake fluid come out. I now have first gear again, crunches a little going in, but hopefully it'll get better. We bled, and bled and bled it, so can't imagine there's more crap in there.