V8Warrior

How-To video guides - I've started doing them!

Now I've got somewhere warm/dry/comfortable/part-luxurious to work on the car, I've decided against the usual "loads of photo's and a write up" and decided to inflict my severe lack of charisma and my dull Yorkshire tones upon the world of Youtube with "how to" guides.

First up I had a crack at fitting a Hamann style splitter - video here:

Then I did an Electric Fan conversion to get rid of the time bomb that is the viscous fan. The video for this one is very detailed with reasons why etc and is an hour long. Grab a brew and enjoy.

Please let me know how I could improve on them, as I'm not a natural speaker at all, and those who've met me at meets etc know that I'm a very quiet person who doesn't go out of his comfort zone!

Also, click an advert too - I get a few pence for each click and it allgoes towards helping with the projects :D

Updates to this. Another 3 videos.

Repairing your auto-dim rear view mirror that has leaked or stopped working.

https://youtu.be/qQ-5eUgnbCU

LED Main beam conversion:

https://youtu.be/U8BSdMAas-Q

Rear bumper removal and PDC sensor changing

https://youtu.be/vcs9fB7maMc

If you enjoy them, give an advert a click please :D

Nice one! really appreciate the effort here, these guides can be invaluable. My mirror hasn't leaked but it doesn't seem to dim even when the you put a finger over the sensor (lights on obviously) so i'll look at doing the repair with a glass from mirror john.

FYI if you end up swapping the gear knob I really recommend installing a zhp item as it has hugely improved the shift quality on my car. Couldn't believe how much difference it made for such a small, simple job. Also means you can get a new proper leather gaitor so the interior smells of premium cow again!

Keep the videos coming!

Cheers James. The damage to the leather doesn't warrant changing it immediately - I'll see how much it annoys me. 

As as for more videos, today's new video - Sunroof drains and how to clear them etc. 

Enjoy :D

2 more uploaded now.

Tracking/Wheel alignment and full geometry set up and how to do it:

Retrofitting the Homelink system for opening electric garage doors etc:

CREE LED's. I have no details about them though as they were in the car when I bought it. 

I'm tempted to change them back to normal bulbs though, there's something perversely satisfying about the original corona rings and their yellowish tinge :D

Updates to this. Another 3 videos.

Repairing your auto-dim rear view mirror that has leaked or stopped working.

LED Main beam conversion:

Rear bumper removal and PDC sensor changing

If you enjoy them, give an advert a click please

Buy some liquid leather and redo your gaitor, bottle to do that will cost about £8 and will look brand new!!! if you are to scared to do it, send it to me I would be happy to put it right for you to save £100's being spent. Ive done 2 Z3 interiors now, one I completely recoloured the seats and finish was fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another link to second set of seats I did on my 2.8 Z3, this involved repairs to leather also regarding rips and tears, scroll down to find pictures.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44121

If you decide to sell the halo marker bulbs let me know. I have tried some off eBay that looked good but turned out to be garbage so it would be good to get some tried and tested units. I'm even up for a part ex on my originals if that suits!

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, Dave wilkes said:

Could anyone help with guiding me on how to make my halo rings whiter? 

Do they run off a separate bulb or are they just reflection from the main bulbs. 

I have a 57 plate 5 series 520d

thanks 

They run off a separate bulb. You need some LED units which can be found on ebay and the like. Be very careful though as there are a lot of crap out there. Don't get seduced with the higher the wattage the better either. The best quality ones appear to be 10w and below. The higher watt ones can also be so bright that the halo rings lose their definition and look a bit pants. Mtec are top quality but pretty pricy.

On 2/1/2017 at 8:40 PM, kjb1 said:

Buy some liquid leather and redo your gaitor, bottle to do that will cost about £8 and will look brand new!!! if you are to scared to do it, send it to me I would be happy to put it right for you to save £100's being spent. Ive done 2 Z3 interiors now, one I completely recoloured the seats and finish was fantastic!!

Cheers  - I'll have a look at that :D

Not been here for a while but what a great thread. Is there any advantage in doing the electric fan conversion ?

On 04/02/2017 at 0:21 PM, Dave wilkes said:

Could anyone help with guiding me on how to make my halo rings whiter? 

Do they run off a separate bulb or are they just reflection from the main bulbs. 

I have a 57 plate 5 series 520d

thanks 

I use these off eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290753883334?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

21 hours ago, M5 Russ said:

I bought a set of these of this seller and had nothing but issues. Hope yours was a better experience than me Russ. They wouldn't fit properly into the bulb aperture and then the connector fell to bits. Ebay kits seem to be very hit and miss.