Medved77

PDC Fault Diagnosis (Guide)

There is also a parameter for this in CCC_APP so you can choose if the display is showing all sensors or just the rear.

PDC_TYPE
full / rear

You're right,also in CIC or Mask are also a few lines, but changing it will only change the front/rear, horizontal /vertical display and will have no effect for PDC errors. As we know the parking sensors is a closed circuit, when one sensor is faulty nothing works,so by "telling" the PDC only rear sensors are activated, it will stop checking the front ones...so no more errors.

3 hours ago, Pl@y3R said:

You're right,also in CIC or Mask are also a few lines, but changing it will only change the front/rear, horizontal /vertical display and will have no effect for PDC errors. As we know the parking sensors is a closed circuit, when one sensor is faulty nothing works,so by "telling" the PDC only rear sensors are activated, it will stop checking the front ones...so no more errors.

Yes. I've done this same thing on PDC a few times before repairing the system.

Glad it worked for you, I have a CIC installed in my car, changing lines only in CIC didn't help in my case, I didn't had the opportunity to test it in a car with CCC or Mask.

9 minutes ago, Pl@y3R said:
46 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Glad it worked for you, I have a CIC installed in my car, changing lines only in CIC didn't help in my case, I didn't had the opportunity to test it in a car with CCC or Mask.

For the actual PDC problem PDC module has to be coded anyways. Those other codings just change the display layout regarding PDC.

My PDC is playing up. Can anyone help please? I have two e61 and I've swapped modules and the module is ok as it worked in the other car. Before I bought car it had new bumper so I checked the wiring and connector by removing head light but all looks ok in there. When I connect it to my c110 scanner it says no communication with the module. Tried unplugging front loom and rear loom separately but no difference. Ideas?

20191019_141558.jpg

20191019_141552.jpg

Edited by Monkey

My PDC is playing up. Can anyone help please? I have two e61 and I've swapped modules and the module is ok as it worked in the other car. Before I bought car it had new bumper so I checked the wiring and connector by removing head light but all looks ok in there. When I connect it to my c110 scanner it says no communication with the module. Tried unplugging front loom and rear loom separately but no difference. Ideas?
20191019_141558.thumb.jpg.341f2bdb8441ffe69b830044511b86f6.jpg
20191019_141552.thumb.jpg.961d7625b14926ae49be64a434851cea.jpg
Try to test the car with Inpa/ISTA for the errors, also check the PDC fuse in the trunk.

Envoyé de mon EML-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks for your help. I tried my mates snap on scanner and it says rear right senson fault. Swapped it over with the rear left and checked for codes and the fault moved to rear left so I think replacing the sensor might fix it. 

Edited by Monkey

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently bought E61 but preveous owner replaced a faulty PDC module,  now it works fine but my "P" button is not working and on diagnostic shows error 9E29. Up in the posts i saw a member with same error but didn't wrote how hi fix it, or what cause it. Can someone help me get rid of it? The problem is solved. Someone before me puth wrong PDC module( i asume it was from E39), and coudn't read the button. That's why it wasn't working and was giving this error 9E29.

Edited by lsd_1

On 7/27/2019 at 7:50 PM, Pl@y3R said:

Hi, many thanks for all helpful informations. E60LCI: full PDC Retrofit with used PDC, front/rear wiring looms and 8 new sensors.
I have two errors: 9E29 (Display error) and the famous 9E3B error. I've opened the PDC module to look for some water damage, I've checked each transistor and everything looks fine inside. When I unplug the front wiring from PDC, the rear sensors works fine and I have only 9E29 error. When everything is plugged, nothing works and I have both errors. Thanks for any advise

Did you ever find out about the 9e29 error?

Hi guys great topic with a lot of information. However I have a slightly diff problem. I have just bought a late 2003 e60 530d. It is pristine with low mileage and only 2previous owners. But my car is showing PDC failure I’ve listened to the sensors and none are clicking. Is it safe to assume that the module is dead? Any thoughts gratefully received.

8 hours ago, John Lucas60 said:

Hi guys great topic with a lot of information. However I have a slightly diff problem. I have just bought a late 2003 e60 530d. It is pristine with low mileage and only 2previous owners. But my car is showing PDC failure I’ve listened to the sensors and none are clicking. Is it safe to assume that the module is dead? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Hi, I had PDC failure on mine that was a blown transistor in the module as Winther described earlier in the thread. It's easy to check, pop the box open and have a look. It brought my PDC back to life though I still have issues with a few of the sensors, been meaning to have another look but not got round to it yet.

I've got the 9E3B error. Tried unplugging the plugs at the ECU for the front, for the rear, and for both, and the error doesn't change. I popped open the ECU and the board looks perfect. There's no capacitors shorted to ground and the transistors visibly don't look blown. I used the macro lens on my Xiaomi phone with the flash on to inspect the board.

The pins from the ECU for each loom have voltage present (2v, just checked it)

Inspected the front sensor loom and it is a replacement loom from 2015. No obvious damage to it.

The PDC module was replaced around then too according to paperwork that came with the car.

The auto electricians who worked on the car before I got it have moved all the modules from under the spare wheel to sitting above the wheel so everything is dry.

What voltage should be present at fuse 69?

What voltage should be at the supply pins? I've read it should be 5v not 2v

Would you guys say this sounds like a wiring loom issue or the PDC module?

Edited by Jabo

Hi guys, I try to fix my pdc whre have a wiring issue, i want to exchange all of the wires and connectors but i stock with the main plug! I dunno ho to depin and also cannot find new one to buy.  There is some symbols on the plug like 1-929347-1 and PBT GF20 but cannot find anywhere exact plug, does anybody face the same issue and could help me please? 

IMG_2328.HEIC

IMG_2327.HEIC

3 hours ago, Pavelo said:

Hi guys, I try to fix my pdc whre have a wiring issue, i want to exchange all of the wires and connectors but i stock with the main plug! I dunno ho to depin and also cannot find new one to buy.  There is some symbols on the plug like 1-929347-1 and PBT GF20 but cannot find anywhere exact plug, does anybody face the same issue and could help me please? 

IMG_2328.HEIC

IMG_2327.HEIC

Front or rear wiring loom?

Hey,

My PDC hasn't worked since I got my car. When I got it, there was a rear sensor missing which I thought would fix the issue. Bought a new one and still no PDC front or back. ISTA+ scan gave code '009E3B PDC Supply, ultrasonic sensors'. I've checked the PDC module in the boot and all seems fine there so I'm going to replace the rear loom next. Is it an easy enough job? Any guides anywhere?

Cheers lads.

Just remove bumper and follow loom, it probably has its own hole and grommet, should be quite easy to follow. 

You could check each wire from the unit connector to each of the sensor connectors, they could be just dirty/oxidised and need a blast with contact cleaner and sliding them back and forth a few times. You might have an intermediate connector between bumper and body (for easy bumper removal), give the connections there a good clean too. 

Did you check the transistors/mosfets on the pdc controller board?

All the best with it..

Thanks for that. No, I didn't check the transistors on the pdc board. Do you mean the module in the boot? 

Yes, the module is in the boot for the e60 I believe. 

Might be worth a close look, though I'd still think a good clean for the connectors would help. 

Have a look at this threads first page, it's shown clearly there.

On 11/04/2021 at 15:18, Jabo said:

I've got the 9E3B error. Tried unplugging the plugs at the ECU for the front, for the rear, and for both, and the error doesn't change. I popped open the ECU and the board looks perfect. There's no capacitors shorted to ground and the transistors visibly don't look blown. I used the macro lens on my Xiaomi phone with the flash on to inspect the board.

The pins from the ECU for each loom have voltage present (2v, just checked it)

Inspected the front sensor loom and it is a replacement loom from 2015. No obvious damage to it.

The PDC module was replaced around then too according to paperwork that came with the car.

The auto electricians who worked on the car before I got it have moved all the modules from under the spare wheel to sitting above the wheel so everything is dry.

What voltage should be present at fuse 69?

What voltage should be at the supply pins? I've read it should be 5v not 2v

Would you guys say this sounds like a wiring loom issue or the PDC module?

Any advice guys?

On 7/24/2019 at 9:56 PM, Winther said:

Hi all,

Just went through a days work of fault finding a non working PDC system using the excellent information provided by Medved77 and Caladan and thought to give some additional feedback.

In the beginning i had the intermittent PDC failure that eventually got permanent. The first thing I did was to scan the car with INPA and got the 9E3B error mentioned above. Thinking it was a PDC module issue I replaced the module only to find the same error appearing again >:(.

With both the front and the back sensors plugged in, I only got one error (the 9E3B error).

If I unplugged either the front or the back sensors I would still only get the 9E3B error.

With all sensors disconnected, and only the power plug conected, I would get 9 errors, one for each of the sensors and the 9E3B error.

At this stage I didn't want to spend more time on it and let it be for some months..

Not wanting to buy a new module I ripped it out of the boot today and opened it up. At first glance everying seemed fine, no water damage or corrosion on either the new nor the old module, but after taking a closer look I discovered that one of the ICs had a small mark on the top. I borrowed a microscope and immediately saw that the mark was actually a deep crater that you will find on ICs that most likely experienced a short circuit right before evaporating.

Searching google I found other threads (in German, Polish and Czech) listing the proper part numbers. The part is a transistor most likely used to switch on/off the sensors or some other IC. The transistor is positioned in the top left corner (away from the connectors).

I scavenged a similar part from some electronics and did my best to fix the PDC module.

These parts can be used as replacements for the fried transistor: BC807-25 / BC807-40 / BC327-25 / 2N5817 / 2SA698 / BCW68 / BSR16 (the one I used)

Now, before connecting the module I didn't want to blow it once again so I only plugged in the power plug (no sensors).

This time INPA only gave me 8 errors, one for each sensor. Since the 9E3B error disappeared I thoughtI actually managed to fix the PDC module.

Before plugging in the sensors I checked each sensor channel for continuity just to ensure that no direct connections where present from sensor supply to sensor ground and from sensor supply to chassis ground.

I didn't find anything this time so I assume whatever caused the parts to fail was related to humidity somewhere in the harness or in one of the sensors.

Now, with all the sensors connected again INPA only returned one error pointing at the last working sensor in the chain as described by Medved77. I have yet to change the sensor but at this point I am quite confident that this will bring the system back to life.

So.. The morale of the story:

1) Don't just plug in new devices without checking for short circuits. Assume that whatever killed your sensor or PDC module will do it again if you just replace it. My bet is on water but it may just as well be a short in the PDC sensor itself.

2) Don't assume that only one part is faulty, a failing PDC sensor is likely bring more components down with it. Start by making sure that the PDC module work (no 9E3B error should be present!)

3) If your PDC module doesn't work. Open the casing and have a look at it, there will probably be some clues as to why it doesn't work. If you can find the hopefully visible error and know a bit of soldering (or know someone who knows) you might be able to salvage the module without too much effort and basically no cost at all)

20190724_172424.jpg

20190724_214752.jpg

thank you so much for posting this tried everything then came across this £1.49 later i now have fully functioning sensors 

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this topic; this week, I started fault finding on my 2004 E60 530d, but I have caught the dreaded virus. It will have to wait until I feel better.