stevie_c

A real dilemma:(

Guys, my beloved imola e39 530d sport has served me well. I've done a lot to it, both out of necessity to keep it going (mot etc) and out of my own desire to make/keep it looking nice.

I've had some welding work done for mot and the welder has observed deep set rust in the inner sills and jacking points that will require a strip down to fix fully.

I already had a respray on the cards after a touch up of the rust but this news will crank the cost up considerably.

I have a flywheel and bushes waiting to go on it, all paid for, it also needs a new set of seats ideally as drivers seat is well worn.

The engine has 192k on it but is solid, has recently had a new alternator, turbo rebuilt,  decatted and remapped.

It has alot of pros and cons . 

I desperately want to keep it but I have a baby coming,  a wedding October 2017 and a house move coming up.

My choices are to keep it, or strip and scrap it. I would not get enough selling it in its current state of readiness so it would have to be stripped for parts.

I really, really want to keep it but I'm finding it hard to justify the cost. 

Keep me on point here guys, I need some serious pros to consider to keep the faith!!!

If it was me I'd sort out the rust, and not worry so much about the cosmetics for now.

As much as we all want stunning cars in mint condition, they rarely are ever in that state, especially if we rely on them.

Seats really aren't important, but like you say, you'd get nothing for it. At least it's a strong safe car with enough space for a family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks dude, I thought I could cope with driving about for a little while with a blue boot on and filler patches, but my ego would not allow that for too long! 

I do need to sort the seats out as the previous owner was a big guy and the seat has collapsed a fair bit and is uncomfortable . 

I will say as I say to many people..it's better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

My issues with my 39 are exactly the same. The rust has taken hold and I also need the sills doing, I managed to get it through last year with the help of a large pot of fibreglass. But next year it'll be crunch time. Other than that, it's not perfect cosmetically but it keeps me going with the hope of getting it sorted and show ready!

Mine has 175k on and I have no thoughts of getting rid just yet.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I was in a similar situation some years ago. I wish I could have kept it but I sold the car. Always regretted it, but if I'd kept it I'm not sure I'd ever have had the time and money to renovate it.

I've also known one or two people who have kept their project to restore 'one day' only to see it slowly rot away due to other priorities.

A baby, wedding, a house move - all can be heavy on time and money for years ahead. On the other hand if you have the money and your other half doesn't begrudge you working on the car while she does the cooking, cleaning, looking after the sprog, decorating, mowing the lawn, then go for it - you obviously love the car!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I do Love it, I literally do, once we have moved I'll have more opportunities to do things on it myself, however flywheel, subframe bushes, body repair and respray won't be on the cards on my driveway!

Excuse my rambling on...

As said, better the devil you know. You get rid of the E39, regret getting nothing for it compared to what you've put into it, and end up buying something else which needs money throwing at it.

I wonder sometimes if it's worth keeping mine because I use it so rarely, but I really do like the 530, and like the idea of having one car that I don't sell, because at a later date, I may not have the same choice.

I liked it to look immaculate but once the wife borrowed it she reversed into a wall and did something to the front. I haven't had the bumper repaired yet but I will at some stage. I'm in no rush.

I think at the moment because they can be quite cheap to buy, owners can get a little fickle about them, but they were one of the best built BMWs and probably worth keeping hold of. Seen the price of an E30 nowadays? 10k for a 325.

And again, the E39 is a very safe place to transport a baby about in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate, rants are welcome!

My Mrs isn't allowed to drive mine hahaha, she pulls a right face when I tell her no.

It's fast and good on fuel too, more good reasons haha

i get itchy feet so I'd personally move on, but I change cars nearly as often as fezzer on here :lol:

if you think its going to be reliable enough whilst you have the little one in toe then keep it and spend the money, if you have your doubts then get rid and wait until your in a better situation, nothing worse than being stranded, even worse if you have an infant on board.

oh and you should fit black body panels to cover the rusty bits so it looks cool like most the other cool cars with different coloured panels and stop being such a girl pants about it :lol: