alobaidi

e28 engine swap

hello guys , 

i have a 1987 e28 520 . im wanting to swap it with a v8 engine . 

i was just wondering from what models would it be best to swap it with , budget it is not a problem but i dont want a m5 or m3 engine .

i want a standard v8 engine , 

regards 

omer 

14876461_374610176263726_3694491970562276046_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

Chevy LS7 crate engine would be your best bet. 

i was looking for another bmw engine keeping it all German . never considered a ls engine . they are a bit hard to find especially as i'm wanting manual transmission also 

If you have a infinate skill of welding, wiring, tools and knowhow and a pocket that has 3 other even deeper pockets within the origional pocket then sure full to the brim of cash then sure. Enjoy.

In terms of v8's and outright power, e28s dont need much. Not the fastest chassis to start with. Just get a lazy m60/m62 thats a fairly straight forward swap. Dam expensive though. 

thank you very much guys for your feedback and to answer one of your questions , No its not one of those posts that will go nowhere , i am planning on changing to a v8 thats why im asking , thats why its a forum and thanks for all the guys that answered me with valuable answers .

8 hours ago, WickRatson said:

If you have a infinate skill of welding, wiring, tools and knowhow and a pocket that has 3 other even deeper pockets within the origional pocket then sure full to the brim of cash then sure. Enjoy.

In terms of v8's and outright power, e28s dont need much. Not the fastest chassis to start with. Just get a lazy m60/m62 thats a fairly straight forward swap. Dam expensive though. 

so a 540 or 740 would be a straight forward fit ?? 

Its not straightforward at all. But in the grand schemes of engine swaps, it aint the hardest. You need to find a new source for power steering. And manufacture your own manifolds. And fitting it in without destroying either it or the suspension geomatry takes a bit of cutting out the tunnel. Though that depends on what gearbox you use. 

1 hour ago, WickRatson said:

Its not straightforward at all. But in the grand schemes of engine swaps, it aint the hardest. You need to find a new source for power steering. And manufacture your own manifolds. And fitting it in without destroying either it or the suspension geomatry takes a bit of cutting out the tunnel. Though that depends on what gearbox you use. 

thanks for the heads up :D much appreciated