So i saw a post on the E39 facebook group, that said something about an airbag recall for the driver's side steering wheel. 

They we're told to wait for the letter, but it is indeed a genuine recall, and calling for people to get their cars booked in. 

So i guess my question is, for the E39 experts on here, that have been there, done that, go tthe T-shirt and subsequently lost said t-shirt, how reliable is this information, as, at the moment, it's just word of mouth/here-say. How many people have actually had this done, and is it worth waiting for the letter, or JFDI?

I'd very much like to couple the recall in with a service, as i've not done one since i've had the car, and even though i think the person i bought the car from was cool, its 200K+ on the clock and would be good just to satisfy my curiosity. 

Anyone recommend a dealership in the West London / Berkshire area? 

Muchos Gracias

Deepan. 

Just call up your local dealer and ask if yours is affected. I've just collected mine back from having the work done from Nick Adams at Sytner Solihull.

No need to wait for the letter at all.

You can also check here: https://www.themotorombudsman.org/vehicle-recalls

27 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

Just call up your local dealer and ask if yours is affected. I've just collected mine back from having the work done from Nick Adams at Sytner Solihull.

No need to wait for the letter at all.

You can also check here: https://www.themotorombudsman.org/vehicle-recalls

Thank You Jim Bob, i'll call up a dealership asap. 

7 minutes ago, syncrofred said:

I take there is no problem with the passenger side steering wheel?

funny, funny , syncrofred :lol:  i was thinking the same 

iam betting nucking futs will be laughing he's futs off when he reads your post

like i did

There is a newer recall (started 2-3 years ago) which is about airbags deploying with excessive force, causing metal shards to be blown around inside the car. Has killed a few people in the US (look up Takata airbag recall and you will find lots of info, it's not limited to BMW)

I believe for the E39 it is only the sport steering wheels that are affected, the normal 4 spoke wheel is not affected. The dealer can look up on the VIN and see if the car is affected. My E46 had the passenger side airbag replaced under the same recall, no cost to me.

I have the facelift sport steering wheel fitted to mine from new but calling the dealer today they say there is no recall on my chassis number. Is it the later facelift steering wheels affected only?

I believe it is only the facelift E39s and newer that are affected.

If you've made a steering wheel conversion however you may still be affected.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Given how old most e39 are 

are the airbags now pass their shelf life 

and probably need all renewing 

21 hours ago, StRaNgEdAyS said:

I believe it is only the facelift E39s and newer that are affected.

If you've made a steering wheel conversion however you may still be affected.

Mine is a facelift and was fitted with a facelift sport wheel from the factory hence why i am confused. Anyway i am sure the dvla will send a letter in due course if it comes up on a recall.

34 minutes ago, robsey29 said:

Mine is a facelift and was fitted with a facelift sport wheel from the factory hence why i am confused. Anyway i am sure the dvla will send a letter in due course if it comes up on a recall.

If you use my link at the top, you'll be able to find out for yourself . 

9 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

If you use my link at the top, you'll be able to find out for yourself . 

I have done that and it shows nothing but as said not sure why when it is a facelift sport wheel and everyone else has there's listed on a recall.

I called BMW and asked them to be sure. Searching through the list our safety folk publish was a nightmare, it really wasn't that well organised.

BMW Australia told me in a couple of minutes, I imagine BMW NA wouldn't be much different.

As a lot of people have fitted the later style sport / E46 wheels then just checking the car won't tell if the newer wheel is a recall ???

Hmm... just plugged in my VIN and it seems my car is outstanding for a recall...

and booked in to North Oxford BMW.

Edited by themanstan

I have the facelift sport steering wheel fitted to mine from new but calling the dealer today they say there is no recall on my chassis number. Is it the later facelift steering wheels affected only?

Called the dealer got exactly the same as above. Mine too is fitted with the later steering wheel and is a 2001 facelift model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk