bmwf113.0d

From a 5 to a 3?

Am I mad, I have a F11 530d with lots of nice extra's (10k ish) but keep hankering after an xdrive.

Although I love the 530 I have been looking @ 335d xDrive's around the 14 plate for a while now and am getting near to taking the plunge.

Am I mad?  

335xd is probably all the car you need esp. in touring form. That said in my experience year on year the 5 is always a better place to be.

I've no experience of the current range but e30/28, 36/34 and 46/39 the 5 was always better built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - just the 3 series is inferior to the current 5. Difference in quality appears greater than in days gone by. 

Just get a set of winter wheels and tyres - the difference is phenomenal 

This topic is very apt for me as I've just done the very thing you are thingking of doing.  I currently have an F10 520d m sport which I've owned from new for the last 2 years.  I've now traded it in and bought myself an F30 330d m sport, after test driving one, I fell in love with the way it drove. Much more driver focussed was how I would sum it up. 

I haven't picked it up yet - still at BMW. I love my F10 and it's hasn't let me down, but don't need such a big car anymore, hence going for an F30 as my circumstances have changed.  You have to do what feels right for you. This felt right for me! 

I've still not made a change yet so would be interested in your account of the 3 once you've had it a while, performance aside I'm more interested to see if it's a massive step back. 

My choices are another 5 (hard to find anything like this spec in a 535), a 3 series or a cls shootingbrake 350 at the moment. Although I am also now interested in the a6 avant. 

On 28/03/2017 at 06:55, bmwf113.0d said:

I've still not made a change yet so would be interested in your account of the 3 once you've had it a while, performance aside I'm more interested to see if it's a massive step back. 

My choices are another 5 (hard to find anything like this spec in a 535), a 3 series or a cls shootingbrake 350 at the moment. Although I am also now interested in the a6 avant. 

Thread revival alert!!!

Did you take the plunge and change?

I need to change my 5, and very confused as to what to go for!!! :(  

19 hours ago, Y15HAL said:

Thread revival alert!!!

Did you take the plunge and change?

I need to change my 5, and very confused as to what to go for!!! :(  

I did change and went against all the advice on a poll I did and currently drive an v6 tdi A7.

Cracking car but there are a couple of bits that are not a patch on the 5 and I'm pretty sure I'll be back in a BMW shortly (once the warranty is up) but not sure if it'll be a 5,6 or even a 7.

19 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I did change and went against all the advice on a poll I did and currently drive an v6 tdi A7.

Cracking car but there are a couple of bits that are not a patch on the 5 and I'm pretty sure I'll be back in a BMW shortly (once the warranty is up) but not sure if it'll be a 5,6 or even a 7.

Thanks....

I've looked at/thought about all sorts....

Looking into an Audi A6 3.0.......But their navi/multimedia looks so dated!! 

The Navi is fine and it updates foc on mine, but the camera's are poor, it's not the screen as when you watch media the resolution is excellent.

I held out for their equivalent of the widescreen but it's smaller @ 8'  I find it quite intuitive but again not as good as the 5.

Sounds like you have a similar dilemma to me, I needed a hatch/estate for the small dog we have so that ruled a lot of others out and the A7 is a nice looking car and still quite rare imo.

It has acoustic glass (double glazed) and is extremely quiet in the cabin, I had the 5 for a couple of weeks alongside and the cabin noise was very notable, everybody comments on the level of noise in the cabin and I have the parcel shelf out for the dog so I guess it could be quieter if I ever put it back.

I liked the Merc CLS Shooting brake but it didn't feel as nice to drive.