AshD

Info needed on E34 1990 525i SE Auto (4 Speed)

Hi Guys,

Been wanting to buy an E34 to have a collectable/occasional use car. Seen one on sale which is a 1990 525i SE 4 speed auto. It's done 96k backed up with history and it also has a very clean MOT history (so mainly straight passes). Has all the usual SE spec such as AC/Sunroof etc and even heated front seats, its in a glacier blue colour with matching blue interior! 

Anyway my question is, what sort of common issues do I look out for? I don't have too much mechanical knowledge so I want to know for things I can spot fairly easily. The advert also says its a more reliable version than the later VANOS model, so I need more info about VANOS models and why this is more reliable etc. 

Also, what sort of price would you pay for an E34 like this? (I'm in the UK) 

Any help is appreciated!

Many thanks

Ash 

the VANOS is reliable pretty much but early ones needed some work iirc BMW did it under warranty so most will be fixed anyway, and mine cost about £80 to have done but that was 10-years ago!  Mine was a 1992 model so I don't know how they compare to the early non vanos ones.

how old is the car exactly is it an M50 or M20? sounds like M20 if its 4 speed auto

The M50 vanos engine is about the best 6 pot bmw have ever made so i'd not be so sure on sellers comments! Vanos is very tough and long lasting on the whole. Having aircon and heated seats would of been extras on an SE when new ans A/C would of been an expensive option!

If you're wanting collectable then i'd be looking at Sport Models, Alpina's, M5's or Manual 540's. These are the ones that will hold their money and appreciate due to their scarcity now. Just look at previous generation e28 & e12 models to see which way prices have headed.

Buy cheap and improve/restore as you can, or pay stronger money on a good or well maintained car and enjoy. Rust, rust and rust is your main lookout. ;)

C.

16 hours ago, Bumbaclut said:

how old is the car exactly is it an M50 or M20? sounds like M20 if its 4 speed auto

The M50 vanos engine is about the best 6 pot bmw have ever made so i'd not be so sure on sellers comments! Vanos is very tough and long lasting on the whole. Having aircon and heated seats would of been extras on an SE when new ans A/C would of been an expensive option!

It's a 1990 model made - I've attached a pic of the engine 

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 11.47.51.png

I had a 320 with M50 non vanos, superb engine, keep up with oil and coolant changes and it should have a very long life as long as it isn't overheated at any point, although they handle that better than later engines. Surprised it is only 4 speed auto, mine was 5 speed.

20 hours ago, cableguy said:

If you're wanting collectable then i'd be looking at Sport Models, Alpina's, M5's or Manual 540's. These are the ones that will hold their money and appreciate due to their scarcity now. Just look at previous generation e28 & e12 models to see which way prices have headed.

Buy cheap and improve/restore as you can, or pay stronger money on a good or well maintained car and enjoy. Rust, rust and rust is your main lookout. ;)

C.

I'm a uni student mate so on a bit of a budget hence why I can't look to get the M5 or 540 etc, was looking to spend just under or around £1000 for a standard model such as this one which is in good condition and low mileage, hopefully in a few years when I'm earning properly I'll be able to get the high end models! 

On 13/10/2016 at 9:22 PM, AshD said:

It says 4 3 2 mate 

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 20.20.42.png

This is automatic, it is 5 speed automatic gearbox, 

Putting the stick into say 2 means you only get first and second gear.  The autobox will change up to third only if it overloads i.e. max engine rpm.  Having the stick in 3 means you get first. second and third gears only.  If having the stick in 2 and then moving it to 3 will mean the automatic transmission shifts up but only into 3rd gear until again max engine rpms are achieved.

The same applies to down shifting if pulling the stick back from D into 3.  Transmission will only shift down from say fourth to third when the engine rpms compatible.

Oh and you can also put the gear lever on 2 when in muddy roads.

I hope this helps.

Update:

I have now purchased the car! (very pleased)

Spec is as follows:

1990 BMW E34 525i se (Auto), Blue Glacier Metallic, with contrasting Blue Velour Interior Trim which is in excellent condition (no rips or tears at all)

SE Model so it is already well equipped as standard, Factory Fitted Electric Tilt and Slide, Steel Sunroof, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning and Heated Front Seats are optional extras on the car

The Car comes with it's Original Factory Radio & Cassette Player, It also still has it's Original Dealer Fitted front and rear Number Plates & rear Window Sticker

Genuine Mileage of 96,200 & MOT until September 2017 (no advisories)

Original Wallet with detailed Service History and all of the books, plus a Folder which has

a detailed Service Record for parts and work carried out

Original BBS Alloys, with new centre Logo's fitted..

Continental Tyres on the front with 7mm of tread 

Pirelli Tyres on the rear with 3 to 4mm of tread 

Fitted with the 2.5 24v Twin Cam Engine

Also with the car I am getting all of the service parts such as the filters and the auxiliary belt and ALSO 3 spare alloys in pristine condition of which 2 of them have brand new dunlop tyres.

How much would you guys value this car at based on the description?

Very hard to say without seeing the state of the sills, arches, door bottoms, fuel filler area etc. If all good then £500 to £800 based on the Auto Box.

C.

Edited by cableguy