alex535d

BMW E60 535D BLACK SMOKE - SOLVED!

Hey everyone!

I recently bought my first BMW. And what a BMW it is! The notorious 535D! A black beast in M-trim. Being pre-LCI, it is the 272HP version.

I am very happy with it, except for the fact that under hard acceleration A LOT of black smoke is left behind. I know older diesel engines must smoke a bit. But mine just does it like a train.

I measured the 0-60 time and it's about 6.4sec, so the engine itself does pull well. It also runs very evenly, with a healthy sound and I get 28.5 mpg in mixed driving.

The DPF has not been cut off, as far as I know and I had the car checked at a shop with specialized BMW scanner and all 6 injectors are working within acceptable norms, and so do the turbos.

All of which begs the question - why does it smoke so badly under hard acceleration?

PS. Oh and one more observation. I noticed that there is less smoke when the engine is still cold. But once it warms up, it's business as usual - darkness in my rear view mirror.

Thank you guys in advance.

Edited by alex535d

mine smoked for the first few days of ownership as it had been sitting on a forecourt being moved only a few metres at a time for two months.

put a decent diesel system cleaner in the tank and take it on a nice long drive to get it hot.

it is very worthwhile to get the cable and software to be able to read/ clear codes yourself as it will pay for itself after one or two uses.

then you can see when dpf regens have occured and what sort of temperatures the engine is reaching.

I've had mine for about 5 months, and I do drive it pretty hard once or twice a week - 100 -160 mph for about 1.5 hours to get it hot, but the black smoke problem didn't go away. It actually got worse.

As far as having my own cable and software is concerned, in my country having the car checked isn't very expensive - about 7 quid, so it's probably not worth buying it.

First of all, Thank you guys for the replies!
Ok, so
1. The car's not been remapped yet.

2. There were no error codes at all when I had the car checked.

3. I will go and check the EGR and the inlet manifold.

4. I changed all filters (including the air filter) about 5k miles ago, to no effect.

Any other ideas?

Have it scanned.

Diesel cleaner to start with.

DPF may be a culprit here but here is one silly q - your exhaust tips, are they clean (i doubt) or covered in black?

Have you noticed oil levels changing?

And what's the mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To have black smoke the insides of the DPF must have been removed. Then it needs coding to stop errors and usually people get a remap at the same time.

A bad map will cause lots of smoke.

Take the car to a tuner they will be able to tell you if it has been mapped and if the DPF has been coded out.

I doubt you'd get smoke to the  extent you've advised with a dpf in.  My guess is that it's been done, and with a bad map.  With dpf under hard acceleration mapped I get zero smoke.  Literally 

Guys,

Let me just say how grateful I am for your feedback.

Yesterday I went to the dealer I bought the car from, and told them about the black smoke, and they told me it was because the DPF had been cut off by the previous owner.

Now, I don't have much trust in what dealers tell their clients, but reading your comments, I think the poor DPF remap is the culprit.

I will go to a tuner, as JasonH advised, and have the car remapped and see what comes off it.

On a different note, today I did a 100 mile journey, doing at least 100mph, but quite often over 130mph, and at the end of the journey, the back of the car - the boot lid, the bumper, the stop light - was literally COVERED in black soot.

Haha.  Yeah over fuelling for sure.  Hasn't got a tuning box fitted too has it?  

Get a decent map and tell the dealer youre doing so.  They shouldn't have sold you it without a dpf,  so you should agree that as a course of action and perhaps get them to cough up for a re-remap

No idea about it having a tuning box, Knuckle, although I doubt it. I suspect it has simply been poorly remapped after the DPF removal.

I don't think I could get the dealer to cough up for the remap, since in my country nobody checks cars for DPFs. Over here, few care about ecology, sadly.

As it is, the first thing to do is to have the car remapped properly, so hopefully it fixes over fueling.

Edited by alex535d

On 10/2/2016 at 2:31 AM, c3nturi0n said:

Have it scanned.

Diesel cleaner to start with.

DPF may be a culprit here but here is one silly q - your exhaust tips, are they clean (i doubt) or covered in black?

Have you noticed oil levels changing?

And what's the mileage?

I had the car scanned and, although there were a few error codes on the screen, nothing related to the problem came up.

The exhaust tips are very dirty, properly covered in black soot. I never had trouble with the oil level.

Mileage - 102k miles. (If the odometer is to be believed)

Sounds like a certain DPF gut and poor map. A mate of mine did his Astra and it's god awful. The whole rear of the car is covered in black sutt after 20 miles....he sees it as a way of not getting caught speeding with average speed camera though....dim wit

Another idea was suggested to me by a friend. He said the black smoke could be because of a problem in the Mass Airflow Sensor. 

What do you guys think about that?

Edited by alex535d

It could be quite a lot of things. These cars don't normally smoke though even with faults.

You can test the MAF just by unplugging it and seeing how the car is with it unplugged. The car will estimate the air flow using its other sensors instead. BMW MAF failure is not very common.

SOLVED! NO MORE BLACK SMOKE!

Guys, I am extremely happy to report that my beloved 535D does not smoke anymore!

I went to a turbo specialized shop and they immediately saw the problem - a burst hose which feeds the air from the turbos into the engine. We called BMW and they quoted about 220 pounds for the hose alone!  The guys from the shop found an alternative solution - they found a similar hose but with different dimensions and cut it so that it matched mine.

They changed the hose, the clogged air filter and cleaned the intercooler and some other parts connected to the turbos and that was that!

Now the car is savage! I've had the car for about 5 months and it never pulled like that! I guess the hose already had a crack when I bought it. And of course, no more black smoke!

Total cost of about 80 pounds for the parts AND the labour! 

Thank yo guys for all your support!

12 hours ago, JasonH said:

Brilliant - thanks for posting up what the solution was

You're welcome! ;-)

Update:
The guys from the shop advised me to also change the engine breather, in order to preserve the turbos, which they said are in excellent condition. So I did.

Total cost - New original BMW Breather (Made in Czech Republic) + labour = about 60 pounds.

Edited by alex535d