Mr_530i

Is it illegal to carry a mattress without a roof rack or bar

As per title, does anyone know if it is illegal to carry a mattress on a car without a roof rack but having it tied-down securely?

If I did do it I wouldn't be doing it on my car, but would be doing it on my GFs car, which is VW beetle 2002, which is not in good shape cosmetically. Plus the mattress would be in clear plastic packaging. 

Trying to hire a van on weekend is seeming both difficult and expensive. 

Edited by Mr_530i

As long as it is secured properly, not obscuring your vision or in any way a danger then you should be OK. If it sticks out beyond the boundaries of the car then it should have something tied to it as a marker (hi-vis vest or similar works well).

28 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

As long as it is secured properly, not obscuring your vision or in any way a danger then you should be OK. If it sticks out beyond the boundaries of the car then it should have something tied to it as a marker (hi-vis vest or similar works well).

Thanks 

C&U regs state you are allowed 30cm to the side before you need boards. But your issue is going to be securing it. You don't have any lashing points on a car . And while you think it is tied down tight, the mattress filling could move. That could leave your lashings useless - and your bed in the road. No roof rack hire or (better still) man with van near you?    

Might have to try a man in van. 

Hate needing to pay for a van for just a mattress. 

I know it isn't going to be cheap from Halifax to Leeds and vice versa. 

Also Van hiring websites display a different price on their website and then you call them to make a booking and its doubled or they don't have the van. 

3 minutes ago, morv said:

Try b&q, they hire vans on hourly basis. I think there is a minimum spend attached to it but you can always return those goods ;)

I'd forgotten about that. Isn't it something silly like £15 per hour? And you don't need to buy anything from B&Q

I'd forgotten about that. Isn't it something silly like £15 per hour? And you don't need to buy anything from B&Q

I don't know the details, sorry. Just check it on their website.

20 minutes ago, morv said:

Try b&q, they hire vans on hourly basis. I think there is a minimum spend attached to it but you can always return those goods ;)

Thanks Fella. They use hertz and hertz seem to do an hourly van hire service. Might use them 

I would be happy to put one on the roof with a ratchet strap all the way round going through the door Windows if I was just going a short distance at town speeds. Would mean you'd have to climb into the car through the window, Dukes of hazard stylee

Not got a mate with an estate or big hatch back? We got rid of our old mattress by rolling it up and putting a ratchet strap around it and putting it in the back of the wife's Focus.

Mattress people not deliver?

Your biggest worry should be, being seen driving a Beetle, sorry couldn't resist that one:D

Have done exactly this in the past with a king size mattress on an old company Cavalier.... the issue was that at over 30mph the front end of the mattress started rearing up so you will have to ensure it is well secured at the front.... 

I picked the mattress up from the St Ermins hotel opposite New Scotland Yard and had no issues in regards to the police....

Plenty of ikea mattresses are rolled and shrink wrapped, could be the case with yours?

They are amazing.......to me anyway we've had a couple of those for the kids beds. As I cut them out of the plastic wrappings it amazed me how they became such large and very comfortable matresses

1 hour ago, Nomis said:

They are amazing.......to me anyway emoji57.png we've had a couple of those for the kids beds. As I cut them out of the plastic wrappings it amazed me how they became such large and very comfortable matresses

I don't see anyone rolling up the mattress for our king size bed and putting it on the roof. It would be Dukes of Hazzard meets giant Swiss roll :) Any tips on the type of choke, Simon? ;)