BarryM

Double glazing

Finally got round to installing my front driver side d/glazing unit, only 3 left to do as I haven't got the rear q/light units yet!  If anyone else does this then bear in mind you need to loosen the door mirror to get the new window seal to sit flush properly!

57b4d31623664_2016-08-1320.12.17HDR.jpg.

Decided this was a good opportunity to check the condition of the inner door and try and stop any rust appearing so put a line of Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 along the bottom inner edge although I'm not sure the brown colour is actually rust.

Before:57b4d346ac054_2016-08-1313.28.11HDR1.thu

After: 57b4d34e3180f_2016-08-1315.57.39HDR.thum

I'm not expecting any great difference with the double glazing but just liked the idea of a slightly quieter car on the motorway.

The Touring has d/glazing fitted as factory option, it does seem a bit quitter than the B10 when on motorway runs, probably only about 10% but with climate control on and windows closed there is real cabin quietness so it appears well worth doing to a long term keeper.

Well, nearly 4 years later and I'm finally getting the d/glazing rear quarter lights fitted this week. I wasn't confident cutting out the old glass and re-sealing so I've got Paul from Glasstec coming down to fit them for me. Thought I'd removed everything from the car at some point in the past but I'd never taken off the top outer door trim before!

Decided now's also a good time to fully remove all the old butyl sealant from the door membrane and door too as my rear o/s still leaks a tad in heavy rain - can anyone recommend the best way to fully remove old butyl from the foam membrane or is it easier to just buy new ones?

Had double glazing on my E39 540i - have missed it on more recent cars ..... think it helped a but with temperature management as well as road noise.

2 hours ago, BarryM said:

Well, nearly 4 years later and I'm finally getting the d/glazing rear quarter lights fitted this week. I wasn't confident cutting out the old glass and re-sealing so I've got Paul from Glasstec coming down to fit them for me. Thought I'd removed everything from the car at some point in the past but I'd never taken off the top outer door trim before!

Decided now's also a good time to fully remove all the old butyl sealant from the door membrane and door too as my rear o/s still leaks a tad in heavy rain - can anyone recommend the best way to fully remove old butyl from the foam membrane or is it easier to just buy new ones?

Just re-use it; if you warm it up with a hair dryer; it will peel off, but it's a messy job. If you're careful; you'll get most off without damaging the vapour barrier

Clean the door skin properly with something like Autoglym Intense Tar Remover or WD40 and then re-lay the new tape onto the skin.

This is what I use and it's been faultless: https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B00J0X1BUQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=30IHP6921RB22&dchild=1&keywords=w4+mastic+sealing+strip&qid=1594626538&sprefix=w4+%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-5

Prep is key, as I'm sure you know :) 

21 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Just re-use it; if you warm it up with a hair dryer; it will peel off, but it's a messy job. If you're careful; you'll get most off without damaging the vapour barrier

Clean the door skin properly with something like Autoglym Intense Tar Remover or WD40 and then re-lay the new tape onto the skin.

This is what I use and it's been faultless: https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B00J0X1BUQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=30IHP6921RB22&dchild=1&keywords=w4+mastic+sealing+strip&qid=1594626538&sprefix=w4+%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-5

Prep is key, as I'm sure you know :) 

5m of Butyl is only £7 in eBay. I also stuck waterproof tape along the bottom of my membrane once reinstalled. Just an extra precaution.

Did mine last year, disappointing, no noise difference to be honest but I got the set cheap so its a good upgrade. Let us know what you think when its done.

2 hours ago, Busterbvi said:

Did mine last year, disappointing, no noise difference to be honest but I got the set cheap so its a good upgrade. Let us know what you think when its done.

Well I've had the 4 doors done for a few years now and don't think the rear quarter lights will make much difference....the B10 has always been pretty quiet with most noise coming from the tyres so d/glazing was never gonna help with that!

One aspect I do like is the way the glass reflects in certain light - this is a good photo showing off the reflective nature of the glass and you can see the rear quarter isn't reflective....but will be soon :)

690754837_2018-08-1816_28_41.jpg.3cd3c8ada7b3b1d1f56794a64053c4f1.jpg

Lovely car there Barry. I also have the rear quarters but never got round to fitting them., need to finish the job. Please let me know what Glasstec charge to fit them ?

I wish I could find a cure for road noise from the tyres. I just fitted 4 new Goodtear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 with SCT ( Sound comfort technology ) in 225/55/16 flavour on my style 50's. These have the foam belt inside to absorb noise, no difference

in fact I would go as far as to say they are slightly worse than the Avon ZV7's I had on before.

Paul from Glasstec popped along this morning and spent a couple of hours removing the old quarter lights and fitting the d/glazed units. He cut the old ones out by hand with a couple of odd looking cutters and a wire without damaging the plastic frames but I'd bought new ones anyway.

We found a small bit of rust on the o/s door where the glass hid it and I used BH Hydrate 80 to neutralise it (is nowhere safe from rust on an E39)!

IMG_6775.jpg.0272989cc9fc3f7bd3a392b078b3a2c1.jpg

You can't really tell the glas is any different to before but this shot does show the relective properties from an angle:

IMG_6780.jpg.4064dbeeb525a1e36a91bc4d9cb040ec.jpg

Paul did a great job and knows his stuff and I have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone needing window work done if you're in his area. I'd stripped both doors so he just had to remove/install the glass and charged £80 to do the work which I think is very reasonable.

I'm just waiting to get the gloss shadowline trim back from a local paintshop before I put everything back together (it had the usual E39 bubbling).......

On 16/07/2020 at 22:46, BarryM said:

Paul from Glasstec popped along this morning and spent a couple of hours removing the old quarter lights and fitting the d/glazed units. He cut the old ones out by hand with a couple of odd looking cutters and a wire without damaging the plastic frames but I'd bought new ones anyway.

We found a small bit of rust on the o/s door where the glass hid it and I used BH Hydrate 80 to neutralise it (is nowhere safe from rust on an E39)!

IMG_6775.jpg.0272989cc9fc3f7bd3a392b078b3a2c1.jpg

You can't really tell the glas is any different to before but this shot does show the relective properties from an angle:

IMG_6780.jpg.4064dbeeb525a1e36a91bc4d9cb040ec.jpg

Paul did a great job and knows his stuff and I have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone needing window work done if you're in his area. I'd stripped both doors so he just had to remove/install the glass and charged £80 to do the work which I think is very reasonable.

I'm just waiting to get the gloss shadowline trim back from a local paintshop before I put everything back together (it had the usual E39 bubbling).......

Hi Barry. I'm getting my DG rear quarter windows fitted in my saloon next week. Will they fit in the standard frame or do I need to get wider ones for the thicker glass ?

The plastic frames are the same for standard or d/glazed glass as they click around the outer glass (it will make sense when you look at the 2 windows side by side) but make sure you're careful cutting out the old ones so the plastic frames don't get damaged! 

I found re-fitting the upper outer door trim challenging as the clips are a bugger and recommend looking carefully as how the outer trim pieces fit around the rubber window trims before removal as I tried to fit the fixed short upright trim flush with the quarterlight rubber when it actually fits over part of the rubber - again it will make sense once you look at it but I spent ages screwing around and found the time and effort to get these 2 bits of glass in very trying for something that only I am gonna notice! 

I would also recommend test fitting the trim before the window sealant has fully set just so you're happy everything fits as intended.