MikeTheSmith

I didn't know the ix had Motorsport pedigree :)

Slowly continuing the strip down for the engine rebuild - tacking the removal of the exhaust now and found that the ix has  M brakes. Seems like they are the same as M5 calipers as standard. I wonder if the disks also match or if they are any cheaper than the dealer only ix items.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I always thought if my ix gearbox had gone I'd have fitted a regular 2wd box. Probably the best steering of the entire range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/10/2016 at 10:41 PM, TheEnd said:

I believe it has the aluminium front control arms too, shared only with the E30 M3.

No they're steel and look very similar to a e30/36 arm,  The e30 325i touring was the only other car to have ali wishbones from the factory

I agree an iX has lovely steering feel makes them more like a big E30 or 3 series and a bit more chuckable but maybe thats the 4wd bit also helping. They use a normal 525i gearbox the manuals anyhow 

Is it a transfer box on the back then with shorter prop? I know the front diff is on the side of the sump and one drive shaft passes through it and the rear diff and rear end are usual fayre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk