tonkykong

Is this M5 known to anyone ?

Hello

I had an e39 10 years ago and am considering getting back on the horse.

I've seen this M5 that is relatively local

http://www.dtperformancecars.co.uk/used-BMW-5%20SERIES-Nuneaton-Warwickshire-865690

No reg number shown on the site, but does anyone know this car or has anyone been to see it ?

I've had an initial phone call with the dealer, but he can't answer most of my questions until he is sat in front of the history documentation.

It looks very clean in the pictures, although there is some rust appearing on the rear wings (which you can see in the pics if you look closely).

Tell me if I am being unreasonable, but for £12k I am expecting recent receipts for :

New clutch

Discs and pads

Timing chain tensioner (+ maybe guides)

Vanos rebuild (possibly)

Mafs + other sensors

New suspension consumables

Very minimal rust

If not - surely I'm better off spend £8k and getting all this stuff done ?

At 100k miles there isn't really a reason to have had clutch, chain tensioner, or MAF's (mine hasn't and is completely fine). I'd expect it to be on its second or 3rd set of discs and pads now as well as suspension arms and centre drag link. although if it drives okay and doesn't knock or rattle then don't worry. Yes it'll probably have rust too here and there. The exhaust is aftermarket too. Have a good look through the history, at £12k it could be a bargain. I wouldn't touch one at 8k these days, you'd probably need to spend that again to sort it out!

Mines a2001 on 99k, pretty well sorted and insured for 20k. I got offered 18k for it on a car park a couple of weeks ago! Not selling though.

Mines a 1999 full 17 Bmw services. Provenance is everything with these cars as they can be expensive. If your keen have it checked at a Bmw dealer the cost far outweighs the risk. If they won't let you take to Bmw just walk away. I waited 2 years for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lot of money for an early car.... prices seem all over the place at the moment....!

Just twigged is a pre-facelift, too strong dollar for one of those these days...

On 7/17/2016 at 0:05 PM, tonkykong said:

Hello

I had an e39 10 years ago and am considering getting back on the horse.

I've seen this M5 that is relatively local

http://www.dtperformancecars.co.uk/used-BMW-5%20SERIES-Nuneaton-Warwickshire-865690

No reg number shown on the site, but does anyone know this car or has anyone been to see it ?

I've had an initial phone call with the dealer, but he can't answer most of my questions until he is sat in front of the history documentation.

It looks very clean in the pictures, although there is some rust appearing on the rear wings (which you can see in the pics if you look closely).

Tell me if I am being unreasonable, but for £12k I am expecting recent receipts for :

New clutch

Discs and pads

Timing chain tensioner (+ maybe guides)

Vanos rebuild (possibly)

Mafs + other sensors

New suspension consumables

Very minimal rust

If not - surely I'm better off spend £8k and getting all this stuff done ?

Yes you are being unreasonable IMO. Items get replaced if and when required.

Also I personally would not sink that kind of money into a 1999 pre-facelift.

£12k should buy you a very nice facelift example with excellent service records but perhaps not an invoice for all of the above.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/122529-nice-e39-m5/

This one looks a better bet but I do not know the car or the vendor.

You will struggle to find one local that ticks all the boxes unless you are very lucky.

Edited by Mazi

You guys are hooked up on facelift.

Consumes far less oil and looks better. Yes you can fit the cosmetic bits but why spend the money when you can just buy a facelift.

On 19/07/2016 at 4:30 PM, merc convert said:

You guys are hooked up on facelift.

If there was one thing I could change about mine it would be make it a pre facelift.....oh a leather dash would be nice too.

Having had both and done decent mileage in each the biggest difference was the steering wheel. The face lift wheel is much nicer to use and look at.

No difference in oil consumption between the two for me. The pre-facelift headlights were better at doing the job of lighting the road.

Biggest annoyance on pre-facelift was the lack of OBD2 connection under the dash.