corripeter

iDrive, PRO-NAV, GPS Decoding no longer working

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on what to do next:

The car is a 2011 F11 with Pro-Nav, 4 days ago the Navigation map function started showing the wrong location for the vehicle...is was off by ~50 miles.

when driven, the location moved...so it was just using the last known direction and the wheel speed information only...i.e no GPS data being received.

this weekend I pulled the main head unit out and "re-made" the GPS entenna connection just in case it was a bad connection but still no success.

I'm reconciled to a head unit repair to the GPS Decoder function.............So has any other forum member got any advice/experience of this issue previously.

I'm looking for a UK repairer...

Peter.

The GPS antenna is in the shark fin....but the circuitry which interprets the GPS data is inside the CIC Pro-NAV head unit..........It's this which needs repairing...

Peter

It is not just an antenna if it is like the units on other cars it is also the GPS receiver?

I am pretty sure it is more than just an aerial.

Do you have the blue connector?

bmw.JPG

Edited by kingwear

Hi Kingwear,

Yes there is a blue antenna connector for the GPS antenna, although the F series version is slightly different to the E series one which you show in your image.

I know for sure that as far back as the CCC iDrives the GPS receiever module is included within the Head Unit , it is often referred to as the HIP Module (Host Independant positioning).

It is whether anyone on the forum has any knowledge of who can test/repair these circuiry sections that I'm trying to ascertain.

Regards,

Peter.

OK, I am fairly new to BMW's, on other cars I have had there has always been an active GPS antenna that is usually what fails.

Good Luck with finding a solution.

If you do have a Fakra blue connector I woiuld be tempted spend £7 and try one:-

his GPS antenna features a Blue FAKRA connector as found on many original (OEM) and aftermarket GPS navigation systems. It is ideal if you have lost or damaged the original antenna, or if you are retrofitting a new system and do not have a GPS antenna.

The antenna has a strong magnetic base to allow for easy mounting within the vehicle. The long 3 metre cable provides the opportunity to install the antenna almost anywhere in car.

This is a high performance antenna and will provide excellent GPS reception in your vehicle.

Compatible with:

Volkswagen RNS 510 MFD3
Volkswagen RNS 500
Volkswagen RNS 315
Volkswagen RNS 310
Volkswagen RNS 300
Volkswagen RNS2 MFD2
BMW professional I-drive CCC
BMW professional  I-drive CIC

Skoda RNS 510
Skoda Columbus
Skoda Amundsen
Skoda RNS2 MFD2
Seat Mediasystem
Seat RNS2 MFD2
Audi RNS-E (A3, A4, A6, TT)
Audi RNSE-PU (A3)
Audi MMI DVD 2G
Audi MMI DVD 3G
Audi BNS 5.0 low line A3, A4
Mercedes Comand APS NTG1
Mercedes Comand APS NTG2
Mercedes Comand APS NTG2.5
Mercedes Comand APS NTG3
Mercedes Comand APS NTG4
Mercedes Comand APS 50
Porsche
Vauxhall Opel CD70 Navi
Vauxhall Opel DVD90 Navi
Vauxhall Opel DVD100 Navi
Blaupunkt TravelPilot EX
Chrysler, Becker RB3
Many more - Any head unit (Original or Aftermarket) with a Blue Fakra GPS Antenna Inpu

Edited by kingwear

If you go into the hidden iDrive menu you can reset your location - I've googled the hidden menu for you and it's accessible by:

with the Idrive controller;

In main menu go to settings
push the controller forward for 10 seconds
turn right three clicks
turn left three clicks
turn right one click
turn left one click
turn right one click
one short push down

Good luck

Edited by IanS100

Did  you manage to get it fixed?

I would still be inclined to try a cheap Fakra GPS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/261072534530?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9045319&poi=&campaignid=628859225&device=c&adgroupid=28306099746&rlsatarget=pla-184492179186&adtype=pla&crdt=0

If it works at least you know where the problem lies,from experience with other cars  it is nearly always the receiver.

Agree with trying a new aerial before doing anything more. Little outlay with a big potential return by way of saving. Had similiar happen on an E46 and it was literally the aerial. Replaced and left to stand for 10mins followed by a 20mins drive to find its feet. no issues after. 

A further update:

So I opted to try an aftermarket active GPS antenna from eBay..certainly worth trying as they are pretty cheap, however no difference seen even after leaving it powered on for 20 mins or so.

So I reconnected the OEM GPS antenna and reconciled myself to having to track down someone who can repair it.

After 3 more days of no GPS, whilst I was driving into work it magically started to work again, and has been working fine ever since........

So all I know is that I have an intermittent SAT-NAV system.

I've used if for route guidance a few times to see if I can induce any SW related failures......however all is still working as it should.

I am inclined to believe its a faulty solder joint on the PCB section related to GPS signal Processor....not perfect but possibly repairable when it next kicks in..........Which innevitably will be tomorrow after I have posted this update this evening....... Dooooohhh.

Peter

Update,

The car was just playing with me, and the original CIC Pro NAV problem returned one month later.

Since then I have re-made the Blue Head unit connection and also the blue GPS Antenna FAKRA connector but sadly to no avail........ the NAV function has been "off picking daises" ever since then.

In the meantime I am using Google Maps on my Smart-phone when I need route guidance, which to be honest is a pretty good alternative.

But....Now that the good weather is here I am planning to remove the shark fin cover and swap out the multiple Fin antenna assembly for another one sourced from a F11.

Reading up on the task, managing to remove the bonded down Fin plastic cover without scratching the roof paintwork.....looks to be a barrel laughs, but since my BMW GPS map now says I'm in Northern France I'd better fix it before Brexit kicks in.....

This post is really just  a "prod" to see if anyone else has suffered the same CIC Professional NAV fate as me...........Deep down I still suspect the problem is in the Head Unit itself, but the engineer in me says "you can fix it with parts swapping".

Peter.

Hi all

I don't log on here often but I have had this issue.

My car didn't come with sat nav so I retrofitted a unit sourced and remotely coded by a chap in Lithuania via /Ebay.

It worked great for about a year then intermittent wrong positioning, I located my magnetic base GPS antenna under the dash speaker grill.

It would loose position and then regain after a few days of driving, gradually taking longer and longer (I don't drive far).

I got fed up and bought a genuine second hand BMW GPS aerial and put it under the speaker grille on the dash (lucky I installed a 99p genuine VW 1 meter fakra extension lead when I swapped to the CIC sat nav head unit as I was thinking ahead so I didn't need to dismantle the entire dash to change the antenna). 

It is way more reliable now but still looses its place way less but now is way quitter to find itself.

Hope this helps

Finally Fixed:

Okay.....My next Installment, to help anyone else who trips over this thread in the future trying to fix their similar issue.

I tracked down a genuine BMW F11 Antenna assembly from eBay, and along with a short Blue FAKRA female/female lead (ebay again)  installed the antenna assembly under the dash-top centre speaker grill, which it fits into perfectly.

Hooked the cable into replace the stock Roof top antenna coax cable, and started up the Headunit NAV Screen......Sadly still Stuck in France, even after 15 minutes stationary & waiting no position movement.......So I Re-installed the headunit and then took it for a short test drive, and after ~ 1Km she jumped into the English Channel momentarily...then back to jolly old Blighty....Milton Keynes in fact....Perfect because that's where I was.

Since then no issue seen, everything seems to be working just fine............

So the Moral of the Story is/are:

1) The Nav system may need you to actually move some distance before it will correct a displayed position error &

2) A decent genuine BMW antenna still works for the under dash location, looking up through the windscreen & speaker grill

I thought about progressing on to the next stage of installing the good  working antenna Assembly back into the stock rooftop location, but the risks of paintwork damage removing the bonded on cover are simply not worth the hassle.

If your Audio system does not use the Dashtop Centre Speaker location, then it seems to be just as good a location for a GPS antenna as the roof.

Peter.

The SAtNav system will use Vehicle speed and Steering angle signals as back up info when the GPS data is missing....this method is referred to as "dead reckoning"....So yes it is kind of correct that the ABS wheel speed sensors are used to generate the vehicle speed and trajectory info, however really this just to cover times when GPS Signals are not being received such as inside long tunnels.

Peter.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:13 AM, corripeter said:

The SAtNav system will use Vehicle speed and Steering angle signals as back up info when the GPS data is missing....this method is referred to as "dead reckoning"....So yes it is kind of correct that the ABS wheel speed sensors are used to generate the vehicle speed and trajectory info, however really this just to cover times when GPS Signals are not being received such as inside long tunnels.

Peter.

I wondered how the Sat Nav continued to work in the Mersey Tunnel, long after everything else gave up, now I know :D

Hi Peter

Does the solution works for you permanently? I am suffering with same problem with my F10 where Navigation is loosing it location showing me far away driving on the mountains. Took the car to BMW Swindon they checked and found everything is fine, they reset the coordinates and now I am somewhere in Morocco (nice han) without any maps. I drove the car as advised by BMW so that system picks it location but after 5 days driving still  no joy. BMW said updating Nav Maps will resolve it. What's your personal experience??

Thanks

Hi Saqib,

My system is still working just fine since the last post..in June 2017 ..I have even updated my maps with no issues afterwards

The Genuine BMW Sharkfin Antenna assembly mounted under the front centre speaker grill, with a replacement short FAKRA cable proves to me the issue was with the original  roof mounted GPS unit all along.

In my case it became intermittent before total failure.

The exercise of removing the painted cover to unscrew it is simply not worth the risk of paint damage, if you are prepared to do what I did........it is just as good for me travelling in the UK.

Get a genuine BMW replacement Antenna assy from an eBay Car Breaker, a cheapo Blue Fakra cable and try it....mine cost only £30 for the pair....so  a cheap fix for me.

Good Luck,

Peter.

Thank you Peter 

I have booked the car again with BMW Swindon, if they couldn't fix the issue I will try as you advised. I hope this works for me too. Meanwhile I keep my eyes peeled on ebay for genuine BMW Antenna and Fakra Cable. 

I have checked ebay and there are variety of Fakra cables with different type of connectors, wondering if you can point me towards the one I need  for 2012 F10 5 Series along with type of GPS Antenna please? 

Appreciate your help. I will keep you updated with progress. 

Thanks again. 

Saqib

Edited by saqib

Hi Saqib,

This is the kind of cable needed:....1m long is fine for Dash Centre relocation

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-antenna-Extension-cable-Fakra-C-female-to-Fakra-C-jack-RG174-1M/302371478670?hash=item4666be9c8e:g:UdsAAOSwax5YrlUS

Regarding the actual antenna assembly use the usual online sites to track down your original UK spec part number, I had I-Drive Professional SA609, so i used that to track down a matching antenna.

Peter.