Evening all,

i've learnt something new and rather interesting today.

i purchased a used BMW last year from a dealer quite often seen here supplying quotes for parts, after several months of issues BMW gave me an extra years warranty on the car. 

However i I recently had a issue with the brakes, the computer suddenly dropped from 60k to 1200 miles remaining. I booked the car in at a stealer more local to me and they diagnosed a faulty sensor, due to a clip that had come off, the wire had rubbed against the inside of the ally.  OK, I thought that should be covered under the warranty,... Boy was I wrong.

appartently the sensor fitted is not genuine and therefore I had to pay for a new sensor, clip and re-programming of the car.

Now I have not had the pads changed and had no idea which previous owner changed them and there is no way of tracing either. I have fortunately got the old part and to me it looks genuine it has the correct BMW part number on the cable and BMW in the plastic connector.

How the hell are we supposed to know when buying a used car what the previous owners did?

not happy

AUC is supposed to receive a full check. Take back the main dealer you bought it from and 'lose your shit' it's their problem!!! If they do nothing find out who the regional director for BMW is and get him involved....

Here's the list of things they should check....

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/bmw-approved-benefits.aspx

a4d901c17be85924e99e3ec4cf736b16.png

It does not mean AUC are rubbish as you incorrectly insinuate in the thread title!

It sounds like you have allowed a local (BMW?) dealer to hood wink you so it is probably too late now to go back to your supplying dealer and thrash it out with them.

No harm trying though.

Brakes will be a visual check with the wheels on though ?

No they are suppose to do a full end to end review, if he car was sold to you with non BMW parts they should have identified that and remediated it.

Apologies for my language but grow a set and nail the service manager to the fecking wall. Really annoys me when dealer ruin their own reputation and deliver such bad service.

6 minutes ago, Lennox said:

No they are suppose to do a full end to end review, if he car was sold to you with non BMW parts they should have identified that and remediated it.

So, as another example then what if it had a non oem condenser, or airbag?

You issue is failure of a part, they are saying its a non oem part so your problem. I say they warrant the brakes, so fix it. Look at it this way, they offer a full comprehensive warranty and it names explicitly your components but you are telling me if there is failures in non oem part fitted prior to your ownership it your fault?? They cannot use that as a loop hole. You brought the car in good faith. Because they didn't check it and didn't know cannot be the basis for abdication of responsibility.

It's like moving private medical between jobs, the new company cannot exclude pre existing conditions as it would block employment, if this was the same for all used cars they could concoct loads of excuses. Nail this in the bud and tell them to fix it, no cost to yourself. You may need to pay part or all for new pads etc as you would be asking for betterment.

And breathe!!! Right off out to get drunk!!

I don't have an issue...

For some reason you have an OP sign against you and your asking questions like it's your post so I took you as the original poster, i.e. with the issue..... So let focus on him rather than supplementary questions. Sorry.

Morning all,

Thanks for the posts.

I did some further investigating, I went to another dealer with the part and asked if it was a copy. The spares person assured me 200% the part was original, see attached photos, new part ends 03 and my failed part end 02.

I went to the dealership that carried out the work with a view to complaining but the service manager is not in on Saturday... I showed a person at the desk the part, explaining that his parts person and the another dealer have now confirmed this is an original part and therefore it should have been covered under the AUC.

He then said he would speak to the service manager today and he would get back to me Monday. However whilst I was there and explained the situation, he implied that it was the retaining clip that failed and therefore the sensor rubbed against the alloy and caused the cable to get damaged! suggesting that the clip / trim and other components like this would not be covered.

Waiting for calls back from BMW and the Stealer.

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

Edited by rrm

Repairing stealer - 'we don't know if the clip was ever fitted or if it was hit by debris'. I commented, it's strange how it failed shortly after I asked you to check my brakes? - 'we don't remove anything, we have a special tools that checks the brakes with the wheels on'

Cop out they are using every excuse to get out of claiming this under AUC warranty.

Apparently the pads are not original but the sensor is now!!! Wasn't on Wednesday when they carried out the repairs at my expense! Happy to take my money and lie!

Edited by rrm
spelling error

BMW called, explained everything to him, he wasn't happy. Advised to wait for Stealers response and if not happy to call him back.

I think it's a matter of looking beyond the leather couch and plush waiting area and coffee machine to see what they really are.. A N Other backstreet garage. You can build a rep with any garage. As far as I can tell the only reasons you'd want to go to a BMW dealer specifically are to keep up the BMWSH or for their apparent expertise. The former is of dubious value except to BMW dealers (funny that) and the latter is as hit and miss as going to any other garage. 

26 minutes ago, Lennox said:

Well o have to say Douglas Parks in Hamilton and at Pinkerston have been superb.

Exactly. Experiences vary massively. Actually the oppossite should be the case.. you should have a consistent experience across all dealers. 

I had a really bad experience at a certain Heathrow dealer a couple of years ago.  My car was returned with a puncture and on investigation part of a BMW Mini CV joint was embedded in the tyre.  But apparently I could have driven over that in the street and having a service at a dealer who also service Mini's had nothing to do with it. Apart from that they must have driven my car around 7 miles back to my house with a puncture.

My experience with this dealer has generally been good and they have been helpful and fair. However this incident has left me concerned about the quality of their service.

21 hours ago, Lennox said:

Well o have to say Douglas Parks in Hamilton and at Pinkerston have been superb.

Couldn't possibly recommend them!

If they did change your brake pads but reused the same sensor, that is a no no.  The clip that holds the sensor into the pads is a single use fitting.  If they did take the pads out for whatever reason then they should have dealt with that accordingly as the clip is a single shot.

Either way you should not be out of pocket!

Hi, 

got it a call back from the stealer, blah, blah the brakes are not original BMW and fitted elsewhere hence warranty not valid, the missing clip may not have ever been fitted....so I asked her if the clip was never fitted why wasn't it spotted when I asked for the brakes to be checked and when the 'comprehensive' vehicle inspection service was carried out, less than 5 months ago which is 'more through than an MOT'... Oh, I'll need to check what is checked and call you back.

20 minutes later, 'we are sorry, we should have spotted that the clip was missing when it was in for the inspection service, therefore it is our fault and we will refund the cost' 

if your spending £30 on a sensor, £60 on pads why would you got replace a £1.25 clip?

Anyway, sorted now, but if I hadn't pursued I would be almost £250 out of pocket!

That's the £1.25 part that if not fitted (advised it cannot come out) could cause you £250 repair bill. 

image.jpg

^That looks like a clip that retains the brake wear sensor and the ABS sensor wire.  That part will not be changed when changing pads and discs.  But might be worth it for others to take note.

and not what.....

3 hours ago, 535iAR said:

If they did change your brake pads but reused the same sensor, that is a no no.  The clip that holds the sensor into the pads is a single use fitting.  If they did take the pads out for whatever reason then they should have dealt with that accordingly as the clip is a single shot.

I was thinking of a clip that holds the wear sensor within the pad, which is a single use job, sorry for any confusion.

Good result, well done for preserving.