Ram Rod

Best polish for white paint?

Gave the Touring its first wash. Two bucket method, microfibre mit and drying cloth. The days of the chamois leather are over.

And those alloy wheels, they took as long to clean as the rest of the car. Very awkward design.

After the car had time to dry off, I ran my fingers over the paintwork and was surprised to find it felt rough. It's shiny enough, but the feeling is like that of overspray. Never noticed this on a new car before. As the car was only built six weeks ago, I shall wait a bit longer before I give it a first polish.

Can anyone please recommend a good polish for white paint?

Edited by Ram Rod

Being a new car i wouldn't polish, 

Clay bar would get rid of the rough feel from the paint.

I would then follow it up with a sealant such as Autoglym extra gloss protection, followed by waxing.

Polish tends to remove swirl marks on paint by removing a small layer of paint. (if you do decide to do this i suggest doing this after clay bar, before sealant.

Sounds like it could do with 'claying' I've had to clay a brand new car before now not a BMW though, I use 'Poorboys White Diamond for White cars then follow that up with Poorboys EX-P Sealant.

A good way to test the surface of paint for contaminants is put a freezer or polythene bag on your hand and run it over the paint work it 'amplifies' any crap on it.

Edited by MickJ

What I have noticed over the last few years is how orange peely new cars can be especially mercs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have got a white F11 luxury, and I use the clay bar followed by a range of products called Gtechniq, as they were used by the guy that detailed it the day I picked it up. I also had a complete front end wrap with VentureShield. The finish is stunning, but, both the Gtechniq and the wrap and very expensive, worth it if you are going to keep it.

F11 After Detail.jpg

All ordered up. Thought I'd try that clay bar mitt. Thanks. Also for the Poorboys recommendations.

Currently my F11 is parked up at Beauvais Paris Airport. I just hope some nice person hasn't keyed it for me. Always a worry in France if you drive a nice car. One reason why I have bought Fords in the past, not so much envy attached to them.

Oh well, I will find out on Saturday

On 6/5/2016 at 7:44 PM, nashdm2 said:

Thanks Mick, they do look nice and are quite rare as I have not seen many with them fitted...............

Hard to tell exactly but they look like V Spoke 331's

44 minutes ago, Johnny Grabble said:

I think you'll find they're 452's. I have them too.

Correct Johnny, 452 turbines I think they are called, lovely wheel, very easy to keep clean which was one of the buying points for me.

That advert for the 21's, looks nice, but even with AD, I am not sure I could get on with the road noise etc...................

Edited by nashdm2

18 hours ago, Ram Rod said:

I just hope some nice person hasn't keyed it for me. Always a worry in France if you drive a nice car. One reason why I have bought Fords in the past, not so much envy attached to them.

I thought the French hated anyone who didn't drive a Peugeot/Renault/Citroen

:D So you were a target if you drove anything else!

Back to your original question, I wouldn't necessarily be too fussy what polish to use but as its white I would use a good quality wax to give an almost wet look. I've seen a few white cars with a very deep and wet shine on them from using a wax as the final step in detailing their cars.  They look the mutts nuts.

I have a silver car and want a different finish so I use a sealent (carlack68) to protect my paintwork.