I'm on holiday so it's been recorded which means I can skip bits.

Looks like I've got a good 4 minutes of Top Gear to look forward too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched Extra Gear this morning. Got it on catch up via Sky - I refuse to watch TV on a PC or a phone.

It was ok. 'The News' is now part of Extra Gear, as is yet another 'celebrity' guest. Another comedian - at the moment if you are a comedian with even the slightest bit of a reputation then you are treated like some kind of demigod.

I thought Chris Harris came across well, clearly the only proper car man, Rory Reid seemed like he was off CBBC. Actually Im not sure if this spin off is aimed at kids or not.

Edited by Piper

I love chris evans on the radio.

I have managed about 15 minutes and its off. its crap!

When there in the studio chris doesnt stop shouting, bloody terrible!

As others have said, Chris Evans shouting or trying to be Clarkson got on my tit, I found Matt LeBlanc a bit wooden, otherwise it was a good way of wasting an hour.

Watched 20mins, knocked it off. It's shite, so the future recordings have been cancelled!

Will wait to see what the 'Original 3' do over on Prime! ;) 

I enjoy listening to Chris Evans on Radio 2 Breakfast but really disliked his "trying too hard" presenting style on Top Gear. New TG is definately not a patch on previous series as Clarkson, Hammond & May had genuine banter which was both funny and relative.

I did watch Extra Gear out of curiosity and came to the conclusion that Sabine is a fruitcake in a good way... Check out her home with onsite Cowboy Saloon!

Rory Reid as Chris (Piper) mentioned was more akin to childrens TV presenting IMO and was cringeworthy when interviewing Chris Ramsay!

Chris Harris is a great presenter and comes across well in all previous motoring press however I honestly felt embarrassed for the bloke with his scripted answers and forced wit. I'm sure he'll watch it back and cringe.

Replace Chris Evans with an unscripted Chris Harris and it could be a winner.

C.

4 hours ago, donnylad said:

I love chris evans on the radio.

I have managed about 15 minutes and its off. its crap!

When there in the studio chris doesnt stop shouting, bloody terrible!

Pretty much agree with you, but wouldn't go as far as loving Chris Evans on the radio.:D

I can listen to him on the radio no probs but he was just like a kid on Christmas morning on the tv last night.

3 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Well, that is his normal persona anyway....:rolleyes:

At the end of the day he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth and he's worked hard enough to be able to afford a Ferrari La Ferrari, fair play to him. Clarkson is a multi millionaire supercar owner as well remember.

But yeah he did come across as a bit of a cnut but Evan's sycophantic style didn't help. And as for the other bloke, who gives a shit? Some nobody theatre luvvie who didn't even like cars. WTF. Pretencious BBC bollocks.

I thought it was pretty poor to be honest

Was hoping for a revived top gear- not the same format with presenters who are no where near as entertaining as the three amigo's!

Very pleased I did not invest any of my remaining life in watching this boring crap and all persons involved - except Harris but he also now in the same duck pond as the other tossers.

Why did Evans insist on shouting every word in the studio?

He seemed to be trying to pretend he was Clarkson, and kept making cras comments and references to Clarkson - none of these worked; they just made Evans seem like a schoolboy wannabe

LeBlanc was better than I expected, but there was no flow to any of the show; the only good film was the Nomad one

Doubt I'll be watching it again

As above, just watched it on demand.  I felt it was cringe-worthy.  Evans trying too hard to be Clarkson and all of the old format re-used but ten times worse.  I quite liked Matt LeBlanc to be fair but Evans came across as extremely irritating and brings nothing to the show.  

Gutted but didnt really expect anything else.

Recorded it. Deleted it. Un-series linked it. 

I never liked CE (to put it mildly) and all my car mates slated it, as has almost everyone online. I'll put my time to better use! 

Edited by Machinehead

Found it to be average...some good parts and some bad parts. 

1) Reliant challenge was completely pointless...boring and not funny.

2) Viper vs Corvette was good.

3) Nomad part was good...but perhaps they should have raced against a pick-up truck and motorcross bike instead of cameras.

4) Jeep vs LandRover part was good.

5) I love that they have a new studio, however it felt like Chris was shouting at the cameras...like the Viper made him deaf or something. I felt like he was overly enthusiastic, whether it was genuine or not, I'm not sure. He would clap and try and encourage the audience to clap as well, which ruins the atmosphere...especially when the star was crap around the new track.

6) I like the new mixed track with the jumps, and puddles etc.

7) Hoping they will have more than 2 full time presenters. 

8. Hoping they will bring the "news" section back.

All in all, it wasn't the worse car show, nor was it the best. Matt was better than Chris Evans. I do understand that the new presenters will need time to bond and gel together, and find their feet. Old Top Gear had years to bond. I do also understand that people hate change and so some people may have been harsh at the new Top Gear, but after the 4th or 5th episode, people will have calm down a bit. I think a few people already decided the fate of new Top Gear before it was broadcasted simply because it doesn't have Clarkson & co. As a car guy, I will keep watching it, and hopefully it will improve as time goes on.

Verdict: 4.5/10

I tried to watch it with an open mind and trying not to compare the original.

The trouble was they tried to make it like the original. 

Chris annoyed me with his shouting, Matt was good with his dry humour.

The Reliant bit was pointless in so many ways, at least the old team rolled one.

Watched the extra gear this morning on Sky,  Harris was good and i think they should use him to do the tests on how fast all the cars go round the track, the Stig is just pointless now.

Roll on Autumn for The Grand Tour

Edited by Blobby

I've never been a Chris Evans fan, so it would be unfair of me to crucify him... I have let the rest of you do that. LeBlanc wasn't bad and I enjoyed the Nomad piece. I suppose that perhaps they decide to start with a familiar format and to let it evolve into something new but I would ditch Evans, keep LeBlanc and Schmidt and perhaps find an British presenter, perhaps a little posh and make a show with a "Persuaders" type feel

Thought Matt and Sabine did a good job to be fair

The rest of it the same crapy Top Gear; and with just another main host being and acting like a tit!

The format of Top Gear from 2001 is great. Only if the BBC removed all the crappiness and jokes - which the previous three hosts turned it into for the last several years.  It will then be an enjoyable car enthusiast show again!   

Sod the EU referndum (lol) we should have one for the TV license fee.  Vote Yes or No if you like Top Gear.  Yes = we keep the license fee.  No = BBC is privatised - like every other industry in the UK

Edited by nealpina
typo

It's never going to get a fair trial from many people who just think that anything without Clarkson Hammond and May is simply 'shit'...

(Also, how good was the banter/relationship between those 3 on their first ever show together? Not the best, I'm guessing?)

That said, I think the problem is that the actual programme/format is past its best, and was previously held together or masked over by the presenters. Take them away and put in some that don't have the same bond/banter/repartee, and you see what's underneath for what it is.

Think they should have revamped completely, not mildly tweaked with new faces.

It's never going to get a fair trial from many people who just think that anything without Clarkson Hammond and May is simply 'shit'...

(Also, how good was the banter/relationship between those 3 on their first ever show together? Not the best, I'm guessing?)

That said, I think the problem is that the actual programme/format is past its best, and was previously held together or masked over by the presenters. Take them away and put in some that don't have the same bond/banter/repartee, and you see what's underneath for what it is.

Think they should have revamped completely, not mildly tweaked with new faces.

Your final point I believe is why people are in a position to directly compare: and it will be a hard slog to remove 20 plus writes from people memories:

1. Same name

2. Same theme tune

3. Same format

4. Same script

5. Same jokes

6. Same characters

A fair trial would have been to allow the new team to create 'their' top gear.

If they like James Corden with the Late Late Show were themselves and brought a new approach. I'm really keen to see Harris bring more of his unique type of selfish journalism.

A few of my favourites...

Evans for me is the issue, he's trying too hard, he brilliant when he's in 'his' shoes. Clarksons right now are just a bit big or just a different class. But they could do it.