admiral

Early Oil Change or not?

I have nearly covered 1000 miles in a new 2016 520d.  In the past when running in a new motor, it was good practice to change the oil after 2k to 3k miles.  Theory was that running the engine will grind off tiny particles which are best rid of rather than waiting a year or so and risking damaging the engine.

Service indicator shows an oil change in 2 years, which seems a long way away.

Would the engine benefit from an early oil change, or am I wasting my money?

If you believe the engineers (I'm an engineer)... then simply follow what it says on the iDrive. The argument is tolerances are so much better these days, less swarf is produced during running in. Only the M5 has a running in service.

Obviously I follow the iDrive. I've never had issues with E60s or F10s by doing so and I run then up to 80k miles before the itch to switch cuts in.  My 2007 E60 is still on the road (not in my possession) at 150k+.

That said, you paid your money and take your choice. If you feel better by changing oil early, go for it. 

For me, it's a machine (a fine machine to be sure) but still a machine. For some it's a passion and that's great and that's why we have so many classics out there. Each to their own. Enjoy it! 

Another Engineer here (albeit a concrete and steel type not a mechanical) and I would be inclined to say, if you want to change the oil go ahead as it will do no harm other than in the wallet department as buying oil buy the individual litre from BMW will be close to £20 a litre and you will need at a guess around 5 litres.  You can of course buy the same oil from Costco in 4litre bottles from less than £30.

What might be worth doing is changing just the filter which hopefully will have trapped any particles and top up as necessary.  Not sure if you pull out the filter oil will spill out having not dropped the sump.  I could do that on my E60 with only losing 1 out of 8 litres of oil.

I have not long bought my F10 and the iDrive says oil change isn't due till Oct or 5,000 miles but I might just change the oil myself first as I have the oil anyway as I was about to change the oil in my E60 but got rid of it before I got round to doing it.

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I should have more faith in modern engineering and particularly BMW engineering.  Probably best to keep to the recommended service and save the money for any unforeseen costs that may pop up later.

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I should have more faith in modern engineering and particularly BMW engineering. 

Just don't forget to tell us once you joined a fellowship of disappointed.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

BMW themselves clearly have faith in their policy of changing the oil only when you're told to, and if I was driving a company car I'd be happy to go along with that.

As a private owner I tend to err on the side of caution where oils and filters are concerned.

Although there may be no good reason to change the oil for mechanical reasons it sounds to me as if you'd be happier with an oil change if only for peace of mind, so perhaps do it anyway?

I'm new to BMW but I've run VW's on two-yearly services for 10+ years with no problems whatever.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

With pidgeonpost on this, If it were mine, I would drop the oil to clean the sump even though its a new car, the engine was built and bench tested

before it even went in to a car.  and like I do with every BMW I have owned, the oil would get replaced every 5/6 K.

The engine will always benefit with clean oil.

8 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

BMW themselves clearly have faith in their policy of changing the oil only when you're told to,

And that's their thought on the gearbox fluid too, albeit its lifetime oil..........

I have the 50k service package but also negotiated an oil change at c.2k as part of sorting a problem I had at delivery of the new car.

You would not believe the effort I had in booking the car into the service for the 2k oil change....My service dealer was different from the supplying dealer.

"it doesn't need doing" "we will have to change the cabin filter also..." (why, this is completely different.. but dealer can only cope with a standard oil change package...and don't reset the service indicator), etc, etc.

Got it done ("I want it done and it is paid for - so do it...") but made to feel as if I did not know what I was doing/old-school...

Although it never happens, I always think I will keep a private car forever...

Just bought a used BMW Mini as a project and first job was replacing all the oils (inc gearbox), despite what the service indicator said...

Fresh oil is a cheap insurance policy - so if you worry about this then just do it :)

I change the oil and filter once a year.

is it possible to extract the engine oil on the F10 530d  using the likes of pela or vacuum oil extractor via the dipstick tube?

I previously did yearly oil changes on my E39 530d by this method over many years of ownership without any problems.

Edited by ss

No dipstick on my F10.

BMW think that BMW drivers need not get ones hands dirty with such vulgar things as dipsticks, a computer does it for you.

Bollocks

Give me dipstick for my engine oil and my transmission please!

2 hours ago, 535iAR said:

No dipstick on my F10.

BMW think that BMW drivers need not get ones hands dirty with such vulgar things as dipsticks, a computer does it for you.

Bollocks

Give me dipstick for my engine oil and my transmission please!

Had a dipstick on my 2012 F10 (520d) also have one on my 2015 F10 (535d).  They've not got a bright red cap on the end, it's black and well hidden towards the back of engine on the (UK) passenger side.  It is used to extract the engine oil out.

Both tend to read lower than the iDrive oil level as well...so if the iDrive ever tells me the level's going down, I know it's really going down.

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, Johnny Grabble said:

Had a dipstick on my 2012 F10 (520d) also have one on my 2015 F10 (535d).  They've not got a bright red cap on the end, it's black and well hidden towards the back of engine on the (UK) passenger side.  

I was refuelling a couple of months ago when an embarrassed chap approached me clutching his dipstick (no, his ENGINE dipstick). He'd pulled it out to check the oil level and was totally unable to find the dipstick tube to put it back into. It took the two of us a couple of minutes to find it in the bowels of the engine compartment.

The dipstick on my 520d seems pretty easy to find.  Reassuring to be able to manually check and see the state of the oil as well as having the idrive level measuring system.

20160402_102359_001.jpg

Am I not right in saying the main reason cars got a running in service in the past was because the oil supplied from new had abrasive qualities to it and was specifically running in oil? It tended to get changed around 1000 miles or so and helped the engine bed in. Like someone has already said modern materials and tolerances have removed the need for this process mostly and normal oil goes in at production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 30/03/2016 at 8:55 AM, GT STEVE said:

... the engine was built and bench tested

before it even went in to a car.  

Manufacturers don't do this any more. The first time the engine is run is when the car is driven off the line.

The manufacturers I have worked with pull an engine off the line once every so often, and test that as a representative sample (quality check).