Tsuyoi

E61 Headlights - Brighter please!

This has probably been discussed many times before so I apologise to anyone reading this if so - I am a newbie here having just moved from Jaguar to BMW

Got a 2010 E61 BMW 520D M-Sport Tourer in midnight black with cream leather.  So far loving it.... a few small niggles that I dislike that I took for granted with the Jaguar ownership and one of them with the BMW is the headlights.  At night they are not so bright and dont seem to project in front of the car as much as my Jag did (or the Mrs Passatt CC for that matter)

So in short what I am looking for is:

a.  Brighter headlights at night

b.  Get rid of those yellow looking angel lights for some modern looking bright light halos

(Is the projection a common issue?  The adjuster switch is turned correctly as far as it will go for the aim adjustment...)

What do I need to achieve a & b above?  I am confused over what I need in terms of just bulbs or other items???

Attached is an image same as the lights that I have...

THANKS!

LIGHTS.png

I had similar issues with mine, though I didn't have projector style lights, I just turned them up full way and then manually adjusted them up some more using the adjusting screws on the headlights, also if you have halogen bulbs replace them for osram nightbreakers, the orange angle eye bulbs can be replaced for white LEDs but make sure they are canbus or you will get errors, does make them harder to see during the day but as the light starts to fade they look good.

So i need to buy two sets bulbs right? One set night breakers and then some canbus LED from eBay? That should give desired effect??

I have xenon's on my 535d and they sit fairly low (compared to A8 i had before). Considering they are self levelling can they be adjusted, eg. Raised ever so slightly?

Ps. Bulbs are new Osram Xenarc's 5500K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So to recap - this is what I need for my car?

1 x set Xenarcs 5500K or Osram nightbreakers (2 x bulbs)

1 x White Canbus LED for Halo's (For an LCI model)

Correct?  Are they all easy to fit?

Any links that you guys have for the right stuff would be appreciated...

Thanks again for the replies from this newbie :-)

Does your car have Xenon headlights? if they do then all you can do is use the manual adjustment screws on the headlights to raise them to a desired level, my headlights are halogen which is why I fitted Osram nightbreakers, xenon and halogen are 2 completely different lights, you need to know which you have as a good set of Xenon bulbs will cost around £100 compared to £20 for halogen

1 hour ago, mickybo said:

Does your car have Xenon headlights? if they do then all you can do is use the manual adjustment screws on the headlights to raise them to a desired level, my headlights are halogen which is why I fitted Osram nightbreakers, xenon and halogen are 2 completely different lights, you need to know which you have as a good set of Xenon bulbs will cost around £100 compared to £20 for halogen

How can I tell??

I cant beleive that BMW would put such poor lights in a modern car.  The Jag had HiD lihts which were great.... these ones are c**p!!

20 minutes ago, Tsuyoi said:

How can I tell??

Should be a sticker around the headlight under the bonnet warning of high voltage, or in the dark put the lights on and if the warm i.e get brighter over a couple of seconds then you have Xenons, try running your vin number on this site it will tell you what is fitted to your car http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Projector halogen

dont mess around with halogens just put some 35w 4300/5000k HIDs or a 55w kit if you wish.

Edit: fitment is H7

Edited by mattjk

So if I wanted the led style halo and brighter headlights what would i need as surely there would be 4 bulbs I require not just 2?

what about other led bulbs to change all the other standard ones inside and out?

I’m in the same boat here. Just picked up a 2010 e61. Think I’ve got Xenons. What are my options as the lights are terrible? 

Id like a brighter white. I currently have a parking light fault coming up too but there doesn’t appear to be a bulb out? Confused.

I can't help with the brighter lights, the factory fit bi-xenons on my car (E61 LCI) seem fine...

Worth pointing out, if you have a headlight vertical adjuster on your dashboard then you DON'T have factory xenons

8 hours ago, know-dice said:

I can't help with the brighter lights, the factory fit bi-xenons on my car (E61 LCI) seem fine...

Worth pointing out, if you have a headlight vertical adjuster on your dashboard then you DON'T have factory xenons

Cheers. I do have a vertical adjuster on the dash so does that mean halogen? The girl at Halfrauds ran my reg and she said Xenons and wanted to charge me £104 for headlight bulbs (plus fitting).