Collective-friction

New bloke with E12 M535i

I've been seen two other cars with the same layout as mine, I.e two reds. One was a very low mileage car that the owner didn't think had ever been apart whilst the other was a very tired car but very honest. Mine has only done 49k and the old boots look identical in terms of age and securing clips but that's not proof to say they were never apart. Either way, it had two red when I bought it so two red it's getting ! Lol 

Interesting about the previous owner, could you share which one? I have a good timeline of the three previous owners and heaps of receipts, magazine feature and BMW Club literature. I was only thinking this morning about contacting the previius owners in case they were interested in its whereabouts. 

Looking at at the price of those boots I made the right choice in buying preprepared shafts. 

I will pass on any details I get about the bolts, I'm not hopefull at the moment. It would appear most reuse the old ones despite that not being the done thing. 

Maybe it is down to  what was available at the time. Is it one short or one to many.

I think the first owner of your car was the man I met. That would have been back in the 90's. My memory says that maybe he was a butcher by trade. He had the original invoice for the car which you should have, maybe around £13,000. His sale price was i think £6750.

I think it was a BMW car club event. He was trying to sell the car then. At that time it was just an old BMW and there was no interest at the price he was selling it at. The car was possibly fourteen or fifteen years old. I saw it for sale for a good while afterwards  with no takers at his price. I next saw it for sale at a much higher price as they were slowly getting recognised even though technically rarer than the e28 M5 that I have. (That depends on what you count total production numbers of the model designation or model variation like the  e34 M5 touring) The e12 was the forgotten car for a long time.

If it is as I remember the first owner was retiring, or just retired so he would be quite old now. If it is the same man and the same car I am sure he would like to know that someone like you is giving it the love it deserves.

I am wrong about your car. Had a look at the pictures of the seat material on the thread. The car I am describing had beige cloth seats and was a dark grey colour so I think it is a different car that I was talking about. The picture from the initial posts looked so similar that I thought it was that car. Hope that the one I described is getting some love.

I think you are talking about this car. It was bought new by a chap called Ron Lawes who was in the fish trade. I do have the original bill off sale you speak about. The car is dark grey with light grey interior which can look beige in print. You made me pause for thought actually as I doubted myself about the material I bought recently. I bought light grey off the build spec off the car. Although it arrived safely I never actually put it against the car to check, instead just rolled it up carefully and putting in a cupboard in case I every need it. So I've just grabbed it, unwrapped it and compared it to a headrest....thankfully it's spot on!

Yes your right, these cars hung around worth very very little before they started to gain a little bit of appreciation once they were a bit more understood. A mate of mine ran one years ago and it cost him 300 quid, and was repaired accordingly before being unceremoniously broken once it got too bad. This was at a time when I passed on an avus E34 M5 3.8 for 1500 quid because it needed a bit of paint! 

So my memory is okay. I doubted my self and had a quick look at the start of the thread and some one mentioned a black M535i and then the grey cloth made me doubt myself.

It shows how memories change with time and small details are misremembered. The butcher was what I came up with, actually a fishmonger. The invoice I remember the figures I would be curious about. The interior I thought was beige but I knew it was a light colour.

The name also seems familiar. It was his own company and he mentioned the cost of the car because it was an expensive car at the time. If possible you should see if he is still around. The one thing that was easy to remember was that he had great pride in his car.

Glad the cloth is correct, I have made the mistake of buying parts and years later finding they are incorrect.

My car is like a 5000 piece jig saw. I have the box but there are no pieces in the box and I have to find the pieces before I do anything.

I have managed to spend a bit more time under the car. I'm trying to irradiate every last hint of corrosion so that I don't have to do this again. I've been using a process that I may have mentioned before but essentially I remove any corrosion mechanically, apply hydrate 80 and then BH's epoxy mastic. Depending on the area and how big it is I then use their seam sealer for an added layer of protection. The whole pan will be sealed with a coat of their UB since there are areas that have already had black Shultz applied. 

In an an ideal world I would strip the whole lot off and redo with new stonechip in the correct tint of grey but this car doesn't warrant that level of strip and I'm confident I've got all the corrosion, however small. 

Despite all my variations in knotwheels, dremels and stones etc there are some areas that I can't get quite as clean as I want. I wanted to try so Bilth Hambers Deox gel. The theory is you can leave this stuff on the brown bits and it eats it away leaving shiny metal ready for protection. 

It isnt fire and forget unfortunately but if you're prepared to put a little bit of work in it works. I scuffed the area off as much as I could then slapped this gel on. The following day I cleaned it off and reapplied, and again a couple more times leaving it overnight each time. Each new application I agitated it with a wire brush by hand. Overnight I covered it in cling film to keep it moist. 

And this is the result. For those that haven't laid under an E12 for what seems like a lifetime, this is one of the clips that holds the fuel tank vent pipe on across the rear panel. There was a bit of surface rust that needed to go. I didn't want to go at it with my knot wheel for fear of burning the paint on the other side, plus I could not get in there fully. You can see that the stuff has eaten away at the brown stuff right into the pits leaving clean metal. This has now had hydrate 80 for good measure but I'm sure a zinc primer would be fine. 

Edited by Collective-friction
Spelling!

This is the clip at the end of the vent pipe which a little rubber bellow sits on which got the same treatment. And this is the epoxy mastic, a two part mix that goes on really nicely and it dries firm but flexible. Not the most exciting of updates but this is the less glamorous part that seems to take forever! I hope to get the rear bearings done this week now my new shims arrived. 

The Deox C is a good product. I find the solution is great just mix with water and leave the part in until all rust is removed.And it does remove all the rust The gel does the same job but is harder where there are vertical surfaces where it is hard to keep the required depth of coverage. 

If that is all the rust you have to deal with you are doing well.

With the Hydrate 80 or similar they only convert the top layer of rust. I have used it and then removed it mechanically to find the rust still there. I think doing it as you have done should last a long time.

Work is still ongoing underneath when family life allows. I have found two bit of scab that will need more attention than I can give. When I say scab I mean hole! One is tiny by the jacking point pad and the other ( not as tiny) is at the back of the driver side sill. Easy repairs but I wanted to make it as simple and as neat as possible for the bodyshop so have purchased a complete sill and inner wheel arch panel from BMW from which the small sections can be taken. The bodyshop who I have used for years has very kindly offered to do the two bits where the car sits so we don't risk making a mess of all the refurbed bits given I'd have to wait until it was built back up to get it to them. I'll post up some more pictures when I get chance but the rest of the panels can be avaliable if anyone needs them as they will be largely complete.

In other news my calipers came back and are looking good. The jury is out on how long the electroplate will last but they couldn't go back on as they were. I quickly piled up some of the other shiny bits for a bit of a moral boost and I think when it all starts to go back together it should look ok. It certainly feels like I've broken the back of it at this point. 

That looks great, do not put them on the car they will only get dirty. The plating looks good. They never looked like that new. They used to use cadmium plating which had a green in it. I had some items plated when it was still used and on larger items the green is more visible. I have plated items using the yellow passivate and on larger items there is a green hue in the yellow/gold. That colour seems very even and is probably more popular.